SRI85

Band set up on deployment bag

What is the best way to figure out the ideal band set up on your deployment bag? I know every rig is different when it comes to the bag, canopy, and line size.

There is a recommended amount of force required to release the stows, correct? what is the recommended force, and what would be a good way to test this to ensure its the proper strength?

Based on what i have learned about stowless deployment bags, my main concern is finding the right strenth at the locking stows. I currently double wrap my 4 locking stows (large bands), and single wrap my other 6 stows (small bands).

Basically i just want a way to test which bands will give me the closest to ideal tension. I think my current set up requires to much force (at the locking stows) to open.(bag locks are not a concern)

I have tube stoes for my main loops (x3) and small rubber bands for the rest.

I only single wrap. doubles net only 2 jumps on the rubber bands due to breaking, and is very hard to get around my lines.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

Don't double-wrap any stows. Just get smaller bands, or use another type if you need to (f.i. you could use small tubestoes for the 2 locking stows).

Depends on what you have. Small stows don't hold tight enough so I have to double wrap large bands. Have been since 98 and so far so good

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I dont know any "official" way, but this should work:

* put enough weight on your rig so it doesn't slide when pulling on the D-bag

* stretch out your lines

* attach a spring scale to the bridle attach point
somewhere close to the bag

* with lines stowed in your method of choice, pull bag in direction opposite of rig, monitoring the forces required until release

* repeat as neccessary.
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

John LeBlanc gave us an impromptu packing lesson during a weather hold at this year's Nationals. He recommended double stowing everything, even through the grommets. I think he also recommended always using large bands but don't quote me on that.

I only single wrap. doubles net only 2 jumps on the rubber bands due to breaking, and is very hard to get around my lines.

I heard it is a bad idea to mix tube stoes and bands
Moriuntur omnes, sed non omnes vixerunt.

The packing videos on YouTube made by Nick Grillet from PD show using long bands and making double wraps. The AFFI that taught me to pack said the same thing. I follow their advice.

However, as you can see from the answers thus far there are several approaches taken that apparently have good success.
The meaning of life . . . is to make life have meaning.

Who did you hear this from?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I do exactly the same thing. Tube stows to close the back and small bands for the rest of the stows. I never ever double wrap. I have never had a problem with that set up.

I suspect that the warning not to mix Tube Stows and rubber bands came from the manufacturers of Tube Stows, because they did not want to get dragged into a law suit started by a huge mis-match of (non-MIL SPEC) rubber bands and their product.

The tremendous variations in (non MIL SPEC) rubber bands would boggle your mind!

Just to clarify… Are we talking Locking Stows as well? Surprised to hear PD recommending doubling on everything since most of us have be taught to never double the locking stows? Hmmm… perhaps I’ll try this weekend with long bands and FINALLY solve the hard opening on the Neos.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

I ended up putting just small bands in every spot. I think double stowing the locking stows with large bands created too much tension. I did some test depoyments on the ground and i think the single stows small bands provide the best result. (well for my set up anyways.)

I suspect that the warning not to mix Tube Stows and rubber bands came from the manufacturers of Tube Stows, because they did not want to get dragged into a law suit started by a huge mis-match of (non-MIL SPEC) rubber bands and their product.

The tremendous variations in (non MIL SPEC) rubber bands would boggle your mind!

I would guess that is correct. There was a warning label on the tube stows that I purchased a year ago about mixing with rubber bands. I use a large rubber band on my center locking stow, because it's easier to get the first line stow in place ... And tube stows on the rest.
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I started doing that on my canopies after a friend told me that. He was having hard openings on his Velocities and PD told him to double stow and his problems went away. I switched to doing that on my rigs and my openings improved as well.

Very interesting. What canopy models of yours are you finding this on? Are these canopies known for opening hard?

I have a large collection :-) Mostly older Triathlons and Sabres. None open particularly hard - but I feel a VERY noticeable difference in the initial snatch force when I double stow versus when I don't. The initial "jolt" is much more when single stowed.

I have one Triathlon where the pilot chute is getting a bit old and I single stow that one - when I double stow I LITERALLY can feel each each rubber band unstowing. It rather creeped me out :-)

I jumped a friends rig yesterday with a Pilot - his is single-stowed. I had a much more abrupt initial jolt than I'm used too, then a nice snivel.

I seem to find it just slows down the snatch force, and the canopy design/pack job affects the rest of the opening.

(On a different note - pilot chutes matter too. I have 23" pcs on some canopies and 27" or 28" on others.. One canopy was snapping me abruptly then sniveling - I didn't have a spare smaller pc to swap out, so I tied a knot in the kill line of the bigger pc. Basically it keeps the pc from inflating 100% - it still inflates plenty - but with slightly less snatch force which definitely helped out on my initial jolt.)

I don't do the locking stows (too scared) but PD recommends doing them all. Watch this video
http://www.thepdblog.com/...-line-stow-myth.html

After watching this video several times, I am thinking there is more to the double wrapping than what is being presented. If you look at the stows when they show the out of sequence deployment the line going to the side with the single stow is very tight but going back to the double stow side is looser. I believe you could simulate the exact same thing with a double or single wrap in this case. The other thing that I notice is that the stows are short on the single stow side. Not a lot but enough to be noticed visually.

I think the type of deployment bag could have a factor in it as well. Bags with unbalanced stows tend to rock back and forth more when the lines are being released and can pull the lines and release them more easily in my opinion than a bag with balanced stows. This is mainly because balanced stow bags tend to have larger stows than unbalanced ones. Not sure if I explained that completely and I will try to explain better if need be.

I personally never heard the myth that double stowing could create a baglock. Maybe I have been living under a rock or something. Whether you double stow or single stow, the breaking force of the rubber band between the stow and the bag is the same. It is only doubled around the line and not from the line back to the bag. So if the rubber band doesn't break because of whatever situation and doesn't release the stow, single or double stowing really has nothing to do with it.

I am not saying that this doesn't have merit nor am not in anyway trying to discredit it. I would have liked to see the same presentation on a few variations of deployment bags and some of the other things mentioned above cleaned up. The video provides some generic information that I am not completely convinced should be used in every case. But these are just my thoughts and observations so take them as that.

I ended up putting just small bands in every spot. I think double stowing the locking stows with large bands created too much tension. I did some test depoyments on the ground and i think the single stows small bands provide the best result. (well for my set up anyways.)

And how many tests do you think PD did before they put out that recommendation? Reliable results from testing involves much more than a few “table pulls” on the ground.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals