flygirl03

Pilots check-in

I see so many jumpers here who are also pilots.
Just wondering how many of us there are.

Please list your pilot rating, your sky dive rating and which you did first.

Thanks!
Cin

I am a private pilot, an AFF student and I started flying first.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) with CL-65 (CRJ) Type rating. (By the way that's what I got my originial ATP on. Scary, I know.)

Started flying skydivers in May 1995. Started jumping in August of 1995.

Had a CFII rating but let it lapse. Got tired of people asking for just BFRs and not wanting to do all that I asked. "Well the last guy only made me fly for half an hour." Guhhh....no thanks.

Had a IAD JM rating but it's lapsed and went through Tandem training. Got to do two live students then decided that's not how I wanted to spend my weekend. I felt I could do better doing newbie LO. Doesn't pay but that's ok. I enjoy it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I jump A LOT more than I fly.

Skydiving: D license 390 some jumps. Coach rating. Started jumping in May 2000.

Had to edit this in....forgot about military jumps. First military jump was April 1996. I have 72 military S/L jumps from all sorts of planes and helos. T-10C and -1C suck though. I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore.

Pilot: Only 53 hours on the books and I'm uncurrent. Grew up around planes. Dad's a pilot(39,000+hrs), older brother's a pilot(2500+hrs). I could land a 172 as soon as I could see over the instrument panel and reach the rudder pedals at the same time. About 13 years old I think. Still haven't finished my private ticket. :D Just didn't make economic sense after 9/11 cause if I'm gonna have fun it'll be skydiving. Started flying when I was a kid. Got a log book for my 16th birthday.

Flying Ratings: ASEL Commercial Instrument Rated, Student Balloon Pilot, would like to get glider and sea plane ratings.

Skydiving Ratings: AFF/SL/IAD/Tandem Instructor/Examiner, CCD, Senior Rigger - Chest & Back.

Wanted to start flying first, but couldn't afford it, so skydiving came first, flying second.

I see so many jumpers here who are also pilots.
Just wondering how many of us there are.

Please list your pilot rating, your sky dive rating and which you did first.

Thanks!
Cin

ASEL, glider, instrument. Some helo time, but never got the certificate for that. Flew a gyroplane once, too.B|

Own a Mooney.

Was pilot long before I started jumping. Found airplane experience very helpful in flying and landing a canopy.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Own a Mooney.

You BASTARD!!!! :D I want one of those...and the skills to fly it of course.....

Doesn't go the other way very well though. I kept wanting to "swoop" the plane. It was so familiar to flatten out instead of picking the nose up. :D Hard habit to break.

Presently, Private Pilot, getting close to taking the checkride for Instrument Rating. I'll start Commercial as soon as IR is complete.

Started flying, about three years ago, started jump this past Oct. Hopefully will have my "A" License by the end of today. :)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule

1977 started static-line jumping and private pilot ground school the same time. Earned private pilot license the following spring.
Flew jumpers for a few years, before Transport Canada changed rules to require a Commercial Pilot license.
Finances forced me to quit flying for fun after 200 hours.
I miss flying.
Did commercial pilot ground school two years ago, and am now trying to save enough money to complete commercial pilot license.

4,300 skydives, including most of the instructor and rigger ratings. Currently work as a rigger/skydiving instructor.
Don't think the boss really wants me to fly his airplanes because he believes I am too flexible/valuable jumping with students. Besides, he pays junior pilots starvation wages.

I started flying in June of 1994, started skydiving in April of 1999.

I'm have 1900 pilot hours, almost all of them in military aircraft - about 300 arrested landings, too! ;) I also have my civilian commercial license, but I have yet to use that.

I hold USPA license D24813 and have about 600 jumps; only one of those was in the military.

;)

FunBobby

I started skydiving and flying within a week of eachother. I stopped flying because I was spending all of my $ on skydiving, oops!;) Hopefully will get my private soon, any cheap CFIs out there?:)

All CFIs are cheap.;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Started flight training when I was 11 in 1991 (got a whole 1.5 hours that year), soloed at 16 with 50 hours, private at 17 with in 1997, started skydiving in 1998.

I skydive a lot more than I fly now. I feel like I'm wasting a weekend if I fly instead of jump. When it gets warmer and I get a few more hours in the Grumman Tigers I fly now, I'll start flying to the DZ. Only have 10 or 15 hours in the type. Awesome planes though!

Dave

I got my private ticket in 1985 before I graduated from high school. I passed my instrument ground school and written test a year later, then failed my Class 2 medical and quit flying altogether because I couldn't afford it as a hobby if I had no hope of doing it as a profession.

I started flying again last father's day.......then decided to jump last November. (I'm waiting for warmer weather to start AFF.)

Interesting the high percentage who do both. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case.

Private pilot currently inactive, started jumping and got my pilot's license because of all the driving I was doing to drop zones at the time.
"I have magic buttons ;)." skymama

Pilot first, skydiver second.
I was a kid in junior high school when Mom gave Dad an intro flight as a gift. He got his license, but took his time (about 2 years) doing it. I used to sit in the back of the 172 for some of his lessons.

When he got licensed, he taught me to fly, takeoff, land, etc. I could do those things before I had my driver's permit.

As a sophomore in high school, in the summer, I went to a sleepaway camp upstate New York called Sky Life Flying Camp. I got 10 hours of instruction, but as I was two months shy of 16, I was not allowed to solo, though my instructor was ready to let me.

I did more flying with Dad, and he paid for some more lessons when I was a senior in high school. I was a lazy idiot, though, and did not do the book work for the written examination. So Dad stopped paying for lessons. I took a few more in my junior year in college, and I soloed once that year. Then another long hiatus because I was so lazy about studying. That was in 1991.

My mother died in 2001, and without the money she left me I would not have been able to afford flying or skydiving. I believe there is no better use for that money than in bettering myself and my life, so I have tried to use it to do fun things and to learn things. So far, so good. I got my private pilot's license on September 21, 2002. I now have about 115 hours.

My skydiving was along the same lines, except it was strictly expense that made it so protracted. I did a static line jump on L.I. in '91, and then another in Duanesburg that year, then finally AFF-I as well. Then lack of money put it off until I did two more SLs on L.I. in '96.

Fast forward to 2003 and the money Mom left me, and I did AFP in August and now have 54 jumps. My A-license is done but pending and I have to fax in the paperwork.

Dad came down in October '03 and did a tandem with my instructor, Dave Cole. He got the video, and he had a really good time. :ph34r:

Flying is a great precursor to skydiving, because of how much pilots come to know about flying patterns and handling winds and weather data. I was thankful for my flying background when I started skydiving.

Strangely, my brother was in the army for four years, Airborne, Air Assault, 10th Mountain, OCS (2lt) but he has never skydived apart from his Airborne training jumps. I tried to invite him to come with me and Dad this fall but he ended up declining and claiming it was about the money...

---Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

VFR rated, 140 hours in Cessna 150's, and 172's. Hang 4 (Advanced) hang glider pilot, and have my Instructor rating in paragliders. Started skydiving first back in 1982, paragliders and hang gliders in 91, and pilots license in 2000. Don't fly power much any more (too expensive!) rather spend the money on skydiving!!!:)
Shawn