wingnut

real tv bounce vid

was just watching real tv and as most people know there is atleast one skydiving rlated video on there every show. well this show happened to have a vid about a 13 year old in columbia making a skydive. kid had on an old style container with a chest mount reserve and the thing was darn near as big as him.... video showed him exiting and freefalling untill he "bounces" not in good taste even if the video was from a distance.... in the end of the show they said that the main was set up to open automaticly after 30 seconds and they don't know why it didn't open... i'll tell ya why cuz the whole video looked lke he had exited from like 5k... maybe 30 seconds... if you include all the time he had already hit the ground!.... okay,my rant is over... just thought it was bad tast.. the parents of the boy made the video available... to show " that 13 year olds shouldn't be alowed to skydive"....... they said the boy had went into "shock" after he jumped and never tried to pull anything...

So the poor kid died? I didn't think they showed any video if its end result was a loss of life..

EDIT: I caught the very end of RealTV where it shows short clips of what it had on that episode. You can see a big dot falling fast and disappearing behind a hill (I guess it was a hill) and then some dood in a red shirt. Showing video of ppl getting killed is in very bad taste and I don't know why someone would release that video to a show like RealTV. Poor kid, I hope he wasn't conscious during that.[:/]

As for the 13 year old part. Thats been hashed out here before and I don't see where that has anything to do with it.

not going to argue it as you have said it has been done before, but..... it does have alot to do with thigs sometimes......age does matter at times....

i agree with that for most kids, but i guess when you grow up around it, it's a bit different.

Im not so sure I agree with kids jumping under ANY reason....

Not to slam you, hell I wish I could have, but that does not make it right, or even OK.

I have doubts that a kid can make that kind of choice. Just due to the fact I don't think a kid can REALLY understand the situation.

Of course I don't think some 30 year olds really get the situation, but at least they can sign a waiver
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

i agree with that for most kids, but i guess when you grow up around it, it's a bit different.

later

If you grow up around it that doesnt magically override the fact that at 13 years old you are still a kid. At 13 you arent physically, mentally, or emotionally mature which IMO are all important factors in your ability to make life and death decisions and appreciate the consequences.
Anyone that would let their 13 year old jump solo is suffering from severaly questionable judgement >:(

later

If you grow up around it that doesnt magically override the fact that at 13 years old you are still a kid. At 13 you arent physically, mentally, or emotionally mature which IMO are all important factors in your ability to make life and death decisions and appreciate the consequences.
Anyone that would let their 13 year old jump solo is suffering from severaly questionable judgement >:(

How about 15?

As far as I know, the legal requirement is 16 with parental consent.

Whether or not someone is capable is a very variable thing.
I hope to god that my 22 year old son never wants to make a jump. He doesnt have the temperment for it in my opinion.
On the other hand, my 15 year old son would probably do very well and have no problems. He is level headed and a quick thinker.

I will still require that he wait until he is 18.
Why? Because WHAT IF I'M WRONG???

Any reasonable parent will err on the side of caution. In my opinion.
While 3 more years may seem to be an eternity for that 15 year old to wait, it really isnt.
They have their whole lives ahead of them to jump. Making them wait a couple more years may just save their lives.
Some of my decisions may not be very popular with my kids but then I'm not trying to win a popularity contest.

Technically, there is no real legal requirement. The 16 year age limit you hear about is the USPA recomendation.

This recomendation is why the WFFC couldn't get a Group Membership in '02. It was widely known that M. Mullins would be there with kids. Under age, no GM. It's not illegal. Tandems are another story though. It happens way more than solos, but is federally regulated.

Personally, until almost 2 years ago, I was on the side of most, saying why would I even let my kids jump before they were 18. I wouldn't.

Then I sat down and talked with Mike (Mullins) at a little boogie up here in Wisconsin during a weather hold.

He made one very good point. It's the weekend. You are at the DZ. Where is your son and/or daughter?

Adreneline is just as addictive as crack, weed, cocaine, lsd, ect. Where do YOU want your kids to be? At the dz with you, or out on the streets with friends that may or may not be a good influence?

I have to say, he changed my mind, and my kids are starting to come with me. The 2 oldest learn to pack this year, and may start jumping in a few years, depending on alot of factors, such as school progress, maturity, and general attitude.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Adreneline is just as addictive as crack, weed, cocaine, lsd, ect. Where do YOU want your kids to be? At the dz with you, or out on the streets with friends that may or may not be a good influence?

I have to say, he changed my mind, and my kids are starting to come with me. The 2 oldest learn to pack this year, and may start jumping in a few years, depending on alot of factors, such as school progress, maturity, and general attitude.

Everyone can make good points for all sides of the argument. However, I dont think that Mike could change my opinion.

Happily, I dont have to choose between drugs or skydiving for my kids. Theres actually a lot of other things they can do and just because I spend a day at the DZ doesnt mean that my kids are out on the street smoking crack B|

Those are not the only 2 alternatives B|

You might as well use raping, murdering, and smuggling drugs for your analogy.
You make an arguement that sounds like letting your children jump out of planes is the lesser of 2 evils.

Leting them do one dangerous thing in order to prevent them from doing another dangerous thing?

Thats not a good answer. In my opinion.

It's not so much having then do something else, it's knowing where they are, and what they are doing. Despite what you may think, they will end up doing whatever they want, it's human nature.

I like the idea of having them with me. I like the idea of them being interested in a legal sport, instead of anything illegal, be it drugs, truancy, mailbox baseball, ect.

If they want to jump, or even be AT the DZ, they need to perform to a certain standard. Slack off, and it's no longer an option.

I gave them an objective, and guess what? It's working.

My oldest (almost 13) already has his sights set on ROTC, and he wants to fly in the Air Force.

He has learned enough to know that cracking a cocky attitude will get him nowhere, and even attempting anything on a lower legal or moral plane will get him the serious smackdown. He knows if he slacks though, he can always cook for the GI's. ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

He made one very good point. It's the weekend. You are at the DZ. Where is your son and/or daughter?

I agree with this. As I am not a parent yet, I still understand this thought Process.
=========Shaun ==========

I like the idea of having them with me. I like the idea of them being interested in a legal sport, instead of anything illegal, be it drugs, truancy, mailbox baseball, ect.

I'm with you on this. My sons dont want to hang around the DZ though. It would be cool if they did, but I'm not gonna force them to. I understand this. Been to a couple when I wasnt jumping and frankly, after about 15 minutes its boring.
Even if they did, 16 is about as young as I would even consider letting them jump and then they would need to demonstrate a level of maturity and level headedness that is above average for that age in orde r for me to actually allow it.
13 is just too young.

Once again, this is just my opinion B|

So the poor kid died? I didn't think they showed any video if its end result was a loss of life..

That used_to_be the norm. However, I have seen some pretty sad stuff on that show. One that comes to mind is a Crab-fishing boat which takes a huge wave over the bow. Some six people are washed off into the freezing water. They show the rescue attempt and then they highlight and circle a black dot being crushed by another wave saying: "This one is not so lucky and perishes." I'm not knocking it, however, if all involved (family) are in agreement... But I remember thinking the same thing about showing someones death on the air.

I haven't see the vid you guys are talking about but how old is it?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!