Viking

All you motorcycle people. What did you start riding on?

LOL, I'm sensing a theme.

My first bike was a Honda CB-1, a little 400cc sport/standard that was only sold in the US for 2 model years (1989, 1990). So good luck finding one. It was an AWESOME little bike. I actually teared up when we sold it.

I now ride a...get ready for it...that's right...you guessed it, a SUZUKI SV650!!!
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Started on a 1994 CBR 600F.

I rode it for four years and then I moved to the US and had to sell it.. I still regret that move.. (the sell, not the move to the US)

It's a bike that can take you a long way, from beginner riding (it's a very easy bike to start off with) all the way to some pretty serious sport riding.

I loved it, and if I buy another bike (probably this summer) it will be a 600 again, but this time the 600RR

Iwan

I started on a 2001 Yamaha R6 (still have her) it was against some peoples opinion though. I rode on my streets only for 150 miles (I have about 13 miles of twisty roads before you even leave my subdivision, so I didn't see a main road for awhile) It's been almost 2 years since I have had her and I love it, she is still plenty fast for me.

it will be a 600 again, but this time the 600RR

Hmm - very tempted myself on one of these - managed to ride one the other day, awesome.
New kwaka is nice though as well. Choices choices!!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Yamaha VMAX [well, that's what my uncle put me up front on first, when I was like 6] :P

My first rides were on a borrowed street legal dirter, but my real trails and tribulations were on a early 90s Katana. The thing I really miss is the GSXR 1100 that I had from my brother.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

LOL I was 16 years old and since it was a Harley I was forced to purchase parts at the local dealer. I would ride right up to the door, park next to some HUGE softtail and walk in like I owned the place.

One day this big guy looked down at me and point blank said I should park my "rice burner" somewhere else. I puffed up my chest and said he should be glad I choose to park my HOG next to his, this way HIS bike looked better. The whole place just erupted in laughter.:ph34r:

-------
D.T. Holder
SIMstudy

I started out on a minibike was a kid. But my first real bike was a Yamaha XT 550 at 25, quickly changed to a Yamaha Virago 700 and now ride a Suzuki Volusia 800.

*****Why would anyone jump from a perfectly good airplane? Because it isn't much fun if it's broke.****

I started on a KZ650-- Old, huge and heavy-- 800+lbs. Cool bike though. Got into sport bikes and had an 86 Honda Hurricane 600. Rode boyfriend's Ninja 600 and 900. But now, skydiving prohibits the expenditure of cash on anything but jumptickets and gear. ;)

Are you learning to ride or just getting your first bike? I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Courses that are offered nationally, I believe. They teach you things that your friends forget to tell you in the parking lot. Really worth checking into, and in some places a pass in the course counts as your motorcycle license test. Just a little FYI:)

Are you learning to ride or just getting your first bike? I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Courses that are offered nationally, I believe. They teach you things that your friends forget to tell you in the parking lot. Really worth checking into, and in some places a pass in the course counts as your motorcycle license test. Just a little FYI:)

It will be a while before i can afford one. But i'v ALWAYS had a dream of riding a motorcycle accross the US.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Opinions on the Suzuki GS500F

and the Kawasaki Ninja 500R

oh ya, i'm 6'3" and weight 185-190

I had a Suzuki GS500E back in 1990 or so, when it first came out. It was a great bike.

It was versatile. I rode it to work and school year round, as well as from California to New York and back. It was also a blast on mountain twistys. The only thing I changed to ride cross-country was the handgrips. A new seat would have been nice.

If you get one, learn from my experience. At 24,000 miles, despite having all the scheduled maintainence done, the timing chain stretched and the whole top end got warped. I got $200 for it for salvage.

You might not be as comfortable as I was. I'm ony 5'3".

Judith

So what did you guys start on?

I learned to ride on my then boyfriend's BSA 500. (single, talk about a thumper!)

The first bike I owned was a Honda CB125. Then doubled to a Yamaha 250, then doubled again to a Suzuki 500.

Judith

Opinions on the Suzuki GS500F

and the Kawasaki Ninja 500R

What Gawain said.....

You're a bit too big for those bikes in my opinion. I haven't ridden any newer 500's, unless they've changed quite a bit in a a few short years, they handle like a bicycle. They just don't have enough power and the front was too light.

I used to ride a Night Hawk... crashed it. (which some how I'll bet you're not surprised) then bought a 650 Hawk GT which handled like a dream.

I've ridden several bikes since then but gave it up. My favorite was a CBR 600. Gawain's suggestion of something like a SV650S is a good one. To agree even futher, buy a used bike first.

Good luck!
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

First bike was a Husquevarna 125.....I would have slept with it if mom would have allowed it inside. :)
First street was a '79 KZ900....I would have slept with it if my g/f would have allowed it inside. :)
Current is a '03 Honda ACE 750.....no current g/f, but it won't fit through the door. [:/]

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

a 1982 yamaha 1100 maxim givin to me not running in 96':S

rebulit the carbs and gave it some new rubber...and well im still riding it. :)
just put gas and oil in her for the last 8 years ...:P

not too bad for a crappy turd;)

i used to do alot of things ....skydiving wont be one of them :)

So what did you guys start on?

The first "bike" I had was when I was 13. It was a "bad mutha" Tooled around for hours on this bad boy.
It was great for a 13 Y/O

Scott C.

Note: Pic attached is not of mine as that one was a bananna yellow :)
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"