skydiver30960

cheap sunglasses

Man, ZZ Top had it right. Is there anyone else here who is willing to stand and be recognized in support of ... cheap sunglasses?

I just picked up two pair at the mall for $7.50 each. One for jumpin, one for sittin around waiting for jumpin.

I used to be a raging Oakley and Killer Loop fan. But one day I just bent/broke/lost/had stolen one pair too many of $100+ sunglasses.

Damn, I love 'em.

OH YEAH, there was another ZZ Top song that sang of the virtues of another clothing accessory... hmm... I wonder if anyone else can guess which song I'm talkin' about... hmm... ;) So maybe there's one thing better than cheap sunglasses...

Elvisio "another useless thread brought to you by" Rodriguez

Its funny I could buy a pair of Oakley's or Fossil sunglasses and lose them within a month.

If I buy a pair of cheap sunglasses i'll have them for years to come.

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I hear ya'. I used to be hard core for H2Optics Meridian sunglasses which sold for, about $80.00. Found some with similar styling at WallyWorld called Denny Brauer Strike Kings that have the same lenses as H2Optics and they only cost $6.50. B|B|
The older I get the less I care who I piss off.

I've always had cheap sunglasses cuz I always sat on them or lost them. When I made a pair last a year I decided I was responsible enough for a pair of expensive sunglasses.

First pair of Gatorz lasted over a year before a lens fell out; if I wasn't so lazy I'd send 'em back for a rebuild ($49). I've had the second pair for three or four months now.

I totally dig my Gatorz. B|

Pearl necklaces are cool too. :ph34r:

Ever wondered why some are so "cheap"?

Cheap sunglasses offer zero/no UV protection versus the more expensive brands.

Sunglasses trick your eyes into thinking it's darker, then your pupils dialate. Bad UV rays storm into and damage your retina. Do some research, you'll see.

Ask an optometrist....

OH YEAH, there was another ZZ Top song that sang of the virtues of another clothing accessory... hmm... I wonder if anyone else can guess which song I'm talkin' about... hmm...

Every woman appreciates a fine pearl necklace . . . ;)

. . =(_8^(1)

I still have a $125.00 pair of Serengetis that I bought in 1999. In fact, I have a old pair of Serengeti "Drivers" (1980s era), and a very expensive (for its time) pair of Serengeti Stratas (1989, $250~).

I've lost every cheap pair I've ever had...:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Okay. Here I thought I was alone. I buy cheap clothes, cheap sunglasses, cheap furniture, and good beer and wine. Even my business suits are bargain models (my philosophy - 50 dollars in tailoring will make a 200 dollar suit look like a 200 dollar suit)

My honey thinks that I should be better.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I buy good sunglasses(have a pair of Oakleys right now) for general use....because I've found that if I buy cheap sunglasses, I lose them or break them pretty damn quickly....but if I buy good sunglasses(I bought my current pair almost a year ago), I tend to keep track of 'em better. When I buy good sunglasses, I generally keep 'em until they're totally worn out(usually it's the lenses scratched to hell). I buy cheap sunglasses(though they HAVE TO BE 100% UVA/UVB) for skydiving....I've never LOST a pair skydiving, but I have had people break them when I lay them down next to my helmet while packing.

Mike

I just snapped a pair of sunglasses 2 weeks ago on a zoo dive:( I had that pair for like 2 years... now I have to find another pair that will fit my face like those (and be under 10$ or so)....

I had to buy new sunglasses this past September, the nose piece broke on my old ones. I bought the old ones just before the '81 Canadian Nationals in Claresholm, Alberta. I bought the exact same model and make as the ones that lasted 23 years-- RayBan: Aviators
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I bought the exact same model and make as the ones that lasted 23 years-- RayBan: Aviators

I had a pair of those once....too big, and not wraparound.....I didn't like 'em. I like the wraparound style, ESPECIALLY for skydiving. Aviators may be OK if you're belly flying, but for freeflying, the tight fitting wraparounds work best, IMO.

Mike

Sigh, I have a sad sad story for you all..... It brings a tear to my eye everytime I remember...

Senior Year or High School, my String Quartet play at a Music Competition at the mall and each walk away with $150 or that can only be spent at the mall. I spent it ALL on one pair of Eddie Bauer Polarized glasses... MAN I loved those. I wore them all the time...
After I graduated, (I was licensed and had my own stuff before I even Graduated HS, but I never really let people at my DZ in on this... I was over 18) I went to WFFC in Rantoul to work as A tandem packer, and I took along my trusty pair of Glasses. They would not fit under my Z1, and between the rush of Tandems I snuck out for a LOized jump with some guy in the Low-pressure tent - I dont' remember his name, he was my favorite LO, jumped a ragged old multi-colored vector, dressed like a clown, and chain smoked.... Well, I took my glasses along without thinking, and in the rush to get going, I hid them Underneath the Couch there in the tent... When I came back, my Babies were SMASHED to pieces, twisted apart and tweaked VERY deliberatly....
Someday I'm going to find out who did this, and I'm going to rip them a new one...[:/]

Wow, that was a long story where I said absolutly nothing...

Next thread!!
=========Shaun ==========

I used to be a raging Oakley and Killer Loop fan. But one day I just bent/broke/lost/had stolen one pair too many of $100+ sunglasses

that's why i get my 120 dollar sunglasses for 20 bucks from my roomate.... she works for a company that deals with sportinggoods and can get me a pair cheap!!!!!

I've got to agree with you on this one.

I've got a pair i bought 2 years ago for £7.50

I keep them in my car when not wearing them and my girlfriend has sat on them many times, but that doesn't bother me.

if I loose them then it doesn't bother my either because I will just go out and buy another pair.

Why pay $100 on sunglasses when you can buy a cheap pair and spend the change on jumping or beer and you don't have to worry about loosing them.

John
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think my attitude stinks you should smell my fingers

Cheap sunglasses offer zero/no UV protection versus the more expensive brands.

Yes and no.

Polycarbonate and glass lenses block UVs by thier nature (glass I'm 100% sure, Polycarb, I'm pretty sure).
But be sure of what you get though.... As you said, if they do not block UVs, they will still make your pupil dilate and let more UVs in... bad juju.....
Remster

OH YEAH, there was another ZZ Top song that sang of the virtues of another clothing accessory... hmm... I wonder if anyone else can guess which song I'm talkin' about... hmm... ;) So maybe there's one thing better than cheap sunglasses...

everyone got the pearl necklace, but don't forget about the 'velcro fly'! B| ...not really an article of clothing, but the 'sleeping bag' can come in handy as well. :ph34r:
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001