RkyMtnHigh

So, What's YOUR story...?

Since I've started this amazing "sport", it seems that so many have a military background and/or an aeronautics background. Why do you do what you do?
For me, I did the Boulder Bolder road race every year since 1985 and saw the "event jumpers" land in Folsom Stadium and thought "wow, how kuhl would that be to do THAT!"..that's where it all started for me...what's your story?

You'll find that it's amazing how vivid your FIRST experience was..how you felt, what you thought, where you were, what you were thinking..and why...
Take us all through your journey!

well, the army made me start jumping. I thought it was kinda fun, and seeing as how the army sucks the fun out of everything, I figured civy jumping must be CRAZY. A friend of mine and I came out just about 3 years ago to do the FJC, and the rest as they say... oh yeah, I was right... civy jumping is WAY more fun... 7 military jumps, 252 and counting fun ones.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

It all started when I was 16 and a friend of our family just got his tandem rating and asked if I wanted to do a tandem with him. He asked how old I was and I replied 16, at which point my parents eyes enlarged to the size of saucers and had the "oh my god" look, and he said maybe you should wait until you are 18.

Five years later, I saw a flier on the ground on Purdue campus and decided to go to the callout for the Purdue Sport Parachute Club...(I was 21)...Labor Day Weekend, I did my first tandem...3 weeks later, I started ground school and that was that...and much more...but too long to go into here...:D:ph34r:

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Became a raftguide out in Colorado and one guy started talking about how cool skydiving is, he needed to do his 4th or 5th static line jump. So i thought, you know, i might as well check it out, i've always wanted to do it.
So I went to the airport, and saw a South African flag hanging there, met some fellow south africans. We started hangin out, they taught me to pack, i started packing for the DZ. After two weeks of hanging out, we realized that one of them was good friends with my cousin when they were kids!
So, in the end, these cool junglebrothers got their AFF ratings and I was their first student. For a much apreciated HUGE discount, as well as the DZO not chargin me gear rental! THANX to those helping me into the sport when I was bumming it as a raftguide!

---------------------------------------------
As jy dom is moet jy bloei!

Come on, Jeanne!...you don't remember why you do what you do?

I think it had something to do with being told I couldnt do something that others in my carreer field could do. Yeah it was military related... but at that point I was horrible about proving I could do ANYTHING that I set my mind to.:)

How about:

"Ever since I was a little kid I had wanted to, I used to get in trouble for jumping off the roof with home made 'parachutes' constructed with bookbags and bed sheets."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It's something i wanted to do for as long as i can remember. I'm talking since i was five or so. I can't remember where i first saw it or where the urge came from - i only know it's been inside me for what seems like forever.

And every new year since i turned sixteen i'd say, right, THIS is the year. But i never did anything about it, i always thought it was a difficult thing to get in to (i had no idea it was as simple as calling an instructor and booking a jump :S)

Then one December a long time jumping friend said right, here's the number, call and book it! The rest as they say, is history :)
I can honestly say that it;s changed my life.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

It goes back to a recurring child hood (9yrs old) dream of jumping off the house roof and flying to the end of the driveway. Move forward 20 years and my wife buys me a jump for a Father's day gift after hearing my reply to a radio ad we heard. It was only supposed to be one jump and does she ever regret doing that.:D

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

got into jumping cuz i wanted to do it...... now that i amin the military people always asume i started jumping in the military andi have to tell them that i have exactly zero military jumps....... it just alwasy looked cool to do........

For me, it started as a blind internet date...well sort of. I took the AFF1 course (a bit discounted, of course) and fell in love with it all. And am great friends with the guy who got me to try it all. I never thought twice about the safety or risks. He asked if I wanted to try and without hesitation I said YES! SO guess I fit into the "always been a risk taker" category. :)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Aviation is in my blood. My Dad's last jump was in 1965. He's a retired commercial pilot, my brother has 2700+ hours, I have 53 hours. I went to jump school in the Air Force at my first opportunity. Oddly I spent 4 years just jumping military S/L before I finally got around to skydiving. Almost 4 years and 400 jumps later.......no end in sight. B|

It was March of 2003, on my business trip in Vegas...a friend called and asked if I wanted to try something different...something daring, I said "sure" w/o putting alot of thoughts into it. Next day, the three of us showed up at Jean's and did our tandem.

Two weeks later, I had the urge to jump again....went through AFF, got my license three weeks ago. It's addicting more than ever now for me. Who knew....my mother hated though!

I found that not very many Vietnamese are in the sport. So far my friend and I are the only 2 in my area that is. Oh well!!!

^_~
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

It just had always been something I wanted to do... so... one day I was looking on the internet for info on where to go, etc... and I found Perris. Made a reservation for a tandem on a Saturday. Went.... and before I even jumped I was hooked. Just the atmosphere and people alone was enough to grab me. Once I jumped..... I knew I was done for, this was something that would grasp me and not let go... and it has. lol

Went through AFF, got my license... and I'll never stop. It's the best thing I've ever done and I wouldn't give it up for anything. And I only have 33 jumps.

I am relieved to see, based on the poll, that "someone else didn't talk you into skydiving"; that it has been something that you want to do for yourselfB|

No one could ever "talk" me into anything i didn't want or believe in. I am most assuredly one of those self thinking females...;) I really had no doubts then or now about being in the air. I have 90 minutes tunnel time after AFF1 so that I could do all this "right." Maybe it's just a destiny kind of thing. I feel this is so right - so perfect. :)
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

I was 7 years old at the Kansas State fair in Hutchinson, Kansas (one of only 3 states that has the State Fair NOT in the capital city), and saw skydivers land just before Alabama took the stage. I told Mom that I was going to do that some day... her natural response was "not while you live under my roof." I got to college and chose skydiving over my 3.6 GPA. Now I am a skydiver by hobby, mortgage processor by trade, and no college degree. Life is sweet.:ph34r:

I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.
- Voltaire

I found that not very many Vietnamese are in the sport. So far my friend and I are the only 2 in my area that is. Oh well!!!

^_~

Ok...I have been wanting to ask this for a while...but what anime character is in your avitar?!?:DB|

~R+R:)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...