Airman1270

Why do you drive so fast?

On the highway I occasionally see another car with a USPA sticker, etc. "Oh - a skydiver. Anyone I know?" So I try to catch up and make contact. The trouble is, once we start to approach 5 - 10 mph over the limit I've had about enough. Yet, even doing 75 in a 65 zone I still can't catch up.

It seems skydivers like to drive real fast. Are my perceptions correct? What percentage of us have more than one speeding ticket in the last five years?

Cheers,
Jon

the highways in this country england, most people are driving 80mph. i was going 90mph on the m something and in the fast lane while a cop on a bike drives up behind me so as you do you move to a slower lane and he just keeps cruising past me while i am doing 90mph.
In this country it seems the cops on the motorways dont care, and belive me it is very hard to sit at 60 mph when everyone else is going 70-90mph.
no tickets since being in this country though.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I've always driven fast. Generally 85 in a 70. We won't even talk about what I drive in a 55.:S

Maybe that is why I like to skydive so much. It is an extension of the wind in my hair going 85 down the highway.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

I generally do about 10km/hr over the speed limit. Unless it's a highway with a fast speed limit anyway. Oh, and if it's a really slow speed limit I might do 20km/hr over. Obviously it depends on the road and how many people are likely to be around, I'm not going to speed past a school or shopping centre.

I have 2 speeding tickets in the past 5 or 6 years. Of course, neither were my fault! The first one I thought the speed limit was higher than it was, I saw the cop car with plenty of time to slow down, but I didnt slow down because I thought I was doing the speed limit. That sucked.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

i generally drive 75mph on the highway, regardless of the limit (anywhere form 55 to 70) and i've had one ticket in the last 8 or 9 years, and that was for going 117 km/h in a 110 km/h zone. guess it was quota time. however, while heading for the dz, i run about 3 miles on the highway and usually manage to hit 100mph:o. don't know why that is.:)
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

The real question is: Why do you drive so slow??? :P:P

Not more than one speeding ticket in the last 5 years, but... :)

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

"The real question is: Why do you drive so slow???"

Uh, because its the law.:)

Seriously though, its funny how if you have a thread about drugs, helmets or AAD's, the safety nazis come out of the wood work. How come there isn't anyone preaching about the dangers of going faster than the posted limits and how your endangering everyone else on the road by your selfish speeding.

you need to be carefull here. At 100Mph you will lose your licence.

We got a new car recently BMW sport and I was sitting on cruise control at 100 and a cop came up behind so I dropped to 70 ASAP and he sat and tailed us for about 15 minutes...

Luckily I haven't ever had a ticket but then I usually stick to the limit
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I don't drive nearly as fast as I used to. I got my last ticket in March '03, and I've slowed down considerably. I usually stay 5-10 mph over the speed limit (a bit more than that if I'm on the Dan Ryan...I don't want to get run over!)

Why did I drive so fast? I hate being in the car.
There's a thin line between Saturday night and Sunday morning

It seems skydivers like to drive real fast. Are my perceptions correct? What percentage of us have more than one speeding ticket in the last five years?

Cheers,
Jon

I get three or four a year. I have had the longest spell without one just now. I just went through the one year barrier clean. Amazing what a DMV probabation can do. I am now OK with my points/time equation.

Mind you, they have tried to stop me twice in that year. I just didn't bother to stop for them and got away. Pleasures of a motorcycle, and the fact that in the town I live in, the cops are not allowed to engage in a high speed pursuit for more than two blocks.

Normally, I drive 10 over the speed limit. However, I've been known to go up to 20 over the speed limit and at times actually drive the speed limit. Totally varies depending on weather conditions, traffic, etc.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

"Uh, because its the law."

Lame excuse! :P:P

"How come there isn't anyone preaching about the dangers of going faster than the posted limits and how your endangering everyone else on the road by your selfish speeding."

My answer to that is because speeding is not always dangerous. Speed limits are static and don't take into account changing conditions.

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

The trouble is, once we start to approach 5 - 10 mph over the limit I've had about enough. Yet, even doing 75 in a 65 zone I still can't catch up.

Cheers,
Jon

80-100 is a reasonable speed for most dividided highways whether the speed limit is 45 or 75. 65 is just too painfully slow without a portable DVD player or reading materials.

"Normally, I drive 10 over the speed limit. However, I've been known to go up to 20 over the speed limit and at times actually drive the speed limit. Totally varies depending on weather conditions, traffic, etc."

Exactly! :)

--Art

1. Every single skydiver (with the notable excpetion of Sunny) speeds

Hehe, i'm special. Yay me. I think i'll get my drivers license back this week though, so watch out. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

At least you guys don't have to worry about all the speed camara's at the side of the road and van's parked all over the place trying to catch you out. It's how the police make money over here.

But been lucky so far and always manage to spot them and slow down in timeB|

Sky Pikey

At least you guys don't have to worry about all the speed camara's at the side of the road and van's parked all over the place trying to catch you out. It's how the police make money over here.

I drive around Boulder all the time. There red light cameras and speed vans everywhere there! I've been nabbed three times on those >:(

But been lucky so far and always manage to spot them and slow down in timeB|

Yep, in the US, the cameras pretty much just monitor who we are talking to, what books we read, where we shop and what we buy.

Michael