Cajundude

Need computer purchase help please

I want to go over to Best Buy and purchase a new computer. I'm not sure what to get. I only want to spend around $1500.00.

Right now I have a Dell Dimension 4100. 1.whatever gigahertz pentium II I believe. 40 gig HD and crappy monitor. Oh yea, it runs fucking ME as well. I'm tired of the instability of ME and its starting to piss me off.

Should I buy all the stuff to upgrade my computer or just buy a new system?

This is what I want to do. My main purpose is to edit video, pics, music and play on the internet at home. I am no video editing professional so I need to learn the basics first. Here are the ones I am looking at at Best Buy:

eMachines T3256 - I heard these are good now that HP bought them.
Gateway 540 with HT
Gateway 530 with HT
HP Photosmart 520 - Is Windows Media Center worth a shit?
HP Photosmart 530

I am not going to connect the computer to my television, at least not any time soon.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not hearing anything that says you neeed to replace that pooter.

How much RAM does it have?

Upgrade to 512MB, and install XP. You should be able to add a second hard drive relatively easily, you won't even need to remove the old one.

Shouldn't cost you more than $400.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I'm not hearing anything that says you neeed to replace that pooter.

How much RAM does it have?

Upgrade to 512MB, and install XP. You should be able to add a second hard drive relatively easily, you won't even need to remove the old one.

Shouldn't cost you more than $400.

_Am

Add New motherboard and prossessor too;)

Cajun,

eMachines are fine. I believe Gateway just bought them (unless they've since sold that unit to HP). Anyway, for what you're wanting to do the eMachine low-end bundle will do you just fine.

Couple of tips.

1. Purchase just the "box" for around $399.00
2. Invest in a better CRT 19" monitor. I've had some good luck with the Viewsonic "A" series. High resolution, ultrabrite and picked mine up at CompUsa for around $229.00
3. If you go with the eMachine, remove all the bundled software crappola and install only the software applications you want to use.
4. Buy a bus memory card. Run your applications off the computer, save your documents to the flash card. When not saving take the flash card out of your computer.

You'll get a symphony of opinions about what to buy and why. My why for the eMachines is; at the speed at which everything changes, I view hardware as a disposable item. Rather than upgrading and all that stuff. I take the position that every year and a half or so, I'm going to yank out my Bus mem card, destroy the hard drive and buy another $399.00 - $500.00 machine. In and out for under $750.00 and an hour of time. Just my .02
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Unfortunately I can find my damn discs that came with it. Can I just buy the upgrade without them?

As far as RAM, I think it only has 128. Doesn't the BUS have something to do with video as well? It is 866 MHz, should I upgrade that?

I would want to upgrade the OS, video card, RAM, buy a DVD burner, software, etc.

BIGUN - Thanks for the reply. I am starting to think that is the way to go.

Two more questions, if I do go BIGUN's route, which uninstaller software should I buy and which video editing software should I buy?

The 855 MHz bus, while not the latest and greatest, is fine. You won't see a huge difference by changing bus speeds.

Why upgrade the video card? What qualities of the old one do you not like? Most video cards are fine for video editing. The only market that requires high end video hardware is CGI, which is way over my head, so I'm assuming its way over yours, too. Games like DOOM III are also video card dependent.

I would recomend you upgrade the OS, RAM, get the DVD burner and add a second hard disk.

I don't like Biggun's idea of using memory cards, becaue the cards he's recomending you use for storage are among the least reliable memory storage devices available. They have low "mean-time-between failures", and often suffer "bit-rot". They're considered innapropriate for long term storage.

I would also caution against emachines and gateway, they are known for premature hardware failures, and dificult tech support. Dell on the other hand is known for using good quality components and having very good technical support. If you go with the Gateway or Emachines, expect to be doing all of the repairs yourself.

_Am
__

To hell with Best Buy. Got to resellerratings.com, look at the top rated sellers, and get a computer from one of them. The last two computers I bought were both from online resellers, and I got them really cheap, and good quality. You'll save a few hundred by not having to buy Windows/Office licenses, though you can if you really want it, and you can get it exactly with the pieces you want.
This ad space for sale.

Honestly, I get this question all the time, and it really has different answers for everyone. But very often it goes like this: Just buy a Dell.

You upgrade and have more control over the components, and maybe save money, although that is pretty dubious these days. OR, you can buy a dell with a warranty (typically includes onsite service) for $900, including a flat panel http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/featured_desktop2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

It is just the simplest easiest solution. And if anything breaks, the come replace it. The main thing I would evaluate if you want to do vid work: MORE ram always, and a BIG harddrive if you plan storing a lot. The video card may play a part if you want to cap sources other than firewire.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

Exactly, amazingly, my parents are running a thrice upgraded PC in an Old ZEOS 486 era full tower (my first PC :). I have hardened it, and it works well for them. But if that were not the case, I would be recommending Dell very quickly.
--

Hell, not only do I make that recommendation myself, when asked. But I've bought several for family members just so I don't have to deal with them calling me to help them fix/upgrade/etc. the old ass pieces of shit they take home from work or get from a friend.

LOL!

Edit to add: Dell Dimension 4700

Ok, here is what I figured from Dell. What do ya'll think?

-Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3.00GHz, 800 FSB)
-Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
-Save $99 on shipping with mail-in rebate. Price shown before rebate.
-3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home,and Tech Support plus Nights and Weekends
-1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
-160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
-Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/dbl layer write
-19 in E193FP Flat Panel Display
-128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
-Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
-Dell Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
-McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan,Firewall and Privacy,1-year

$1,432.00

Anything missing? Anything I should get rid of or change? Anybody use this monitor?

Looks good to me!

A few comments:
Screw McAfee unless it is free. Otherwise spend $60 and buy Norton after the fact, unless you want it preconfig-ed.

A second CD/DVD drive might come in handy, but you can always add it later.

For $1500, I think you get a killer machine.
--

Looks good to me!

A few comments:
Screw McAfee unless it is free. Otherwise spend $60 and buy Norton after the fact, unless you want it preconfig-ed.

A second CD/DVD drive might come in handy, but you can always add it later.

For $1500, I think you get a killer machine.

I actually think Norton sucks, I have it now, but if it is better than McAfee I will get it. Yes, McAfee is free.

will be a huge speed difference from a sub-gig processor...

His previous processor was not a sub-gig...

I predict any noticable speed improvements is attributed to a newly installed, uncluttered OS, not from hardware. Clockspeeds have gotten so high in the last few years Software rarely maxes out CPU, unless you're into gaming.

_Am
__

I don't like Biggun's idea of using memory cards, becaue the cards he's recomending you use for storage are among the least reliable memory storage devices available. They have low "mean-time-between failures", and often suffer "bit-rot". They're considered innapropriate for long term storage.

Yeah... I shoulda mentioned that I use CD's to really back-up data and the mem card as a temporary backup until the CD burn. Thanks for pointing that out.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you are open to a new idea and a new style of cruising around on your home computer, I HIGHLY (and I really emphasize HIGHLY) recommend the new...

...Apple iMac G5! (DVD & CD burner, plenty of RAM and processing speed, 17" screen....and the entire computer is all in one unit: just the flat screen!!!!)

Most people say 'Macs are way too much money', but the brand new iMac can easily run you the price you want. You're looking for something under $1500, right? Most Dell computers (though I like Dells the most out of all the PCs) are going to cost you alot, especially if you get all the bells and whistles.

From your thread, your needs are exactly what mine have been for the past few years. I edit videos and my photos online constantly, cruise online frequently, & play and download music all the time. I currently have a Apple Powerbook G4 (laptop) & an iMac G4.

I used to work as a Microsoft technician and I can tell you one thing...the Apple computers are EXTREMELY stable by far. I've had both of my Apple computers for a combination of maybe 6 or 7 years and I can literally count how many times they've locked up on me on one hand!

I've had several of my friends make the move to an Apple and they all say the same thing: "Man I love my Mac. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!"

Have fun shopping around!! :ph34r:
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

Pro would be much nicer particularly to support, although you may never know the difference.

As for Mac: You know I heard (rig manufacturer of your choice) is better than everyone else.

Macs are nice, but they are not quite mainstream yet. The bulk of support, knowledge bases, and software is for the PC. There are reasons to buy a MAC, in fact I would enjoy having one as a second machine. However, I don't feel buying one for casual use typically makes much sense.
--

His previous processor was not a sub-gig...

Uh, yes it is.

Right now I have a Dell Dimension 4100. 1.whatever gigahertz pentium II

and

It is 866 MHz, should I upgrade that?

It's actually a P3. This is the clock speed, not the FSB.

I predict any noticable speed improvements is attributed to a newly installed, uncluttered OS, not from hardware. Clockspeeds have gotten so high in the last few years Software rarely maxes out CPU, unless you're into gaming.

True. But Video editing does require a bit of muscle in the Cpu and memory dept. You will still get the job done, but the time required will decrease rapidly with more speed, especially when authoring DVDs.

For this type of video work I would recommend a minimum of 2Ghz for the CPU and ,if possible, 1GB of ram - definitly over 512mb though. Get the largest harddisk that you can get (150 - 200Gigs) and serial ATA if possible - SCSI is just too expensive. A DVD +rw/-rw for creating discs is essential. The quality of the video card is not critical but a good capture card is essential for importing video if you still use an analoge camcorder. If you use a digital one then you only need a firewire port to copy the stuff to the harddisk.

Basically, I would recommend that you simply buy a new PC. It will save you heartache in the long run.