Cajundude

Need computer purchase help please

Well, I guess it all depends...I say get a Mac if you are a graphic artist/content designer/musician, etc. There are some very high end awesome programs for Mac. OR if you are very limited in comp knowledge and you want something that just work, without all the bugs in the world written for it.

Otherwise....PCs are just too cheap and common. They are the workhorse, the taxi cab. Just in random software availability alone it is cheaper to own a PC. That does not even count any 'special' mac hardware you have to buy.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.

You have to watch dell very closely, they run specials on a weekly basis. If you have a rebate offer now, it will be gone next week, and might have a free printer offer instead. For this reason, I say if you think it is good, go for it. If you are not sure, you might find a cool accessory next week. They use bundled marketing a lot, plus like free LCD upgrades, etc. Consider those when you evaluate "cheaper" next week.
--

Speaking of cheap, do ya'll think if I wait a couple of more weeks the Dell shit will be even cheaper before the holidays? I'd be pissed if I pay the $1500 now and see it for $1100 in 3 weeks.

You're gonna be pissed no matter what. Whatever you buy, it will definitely be cheaper in a month.

Instead of dealing with proprietary crappy machines(except apple). why not build your own computer? There are allot of computer store that sell what are barebone systems or computer componets for good prices.
Barebones are just computers with the basic elements. which are a case, power supply, motherboard n processor, and some time come with video cards but not always.
So in most part with a barebone all you have to do is buy memory, os, and new harddrive.
Nowadays for the most part building a computer is fairly simple most of it is plug in play.

www.outpost.com you just got to check with them when they have good deals and if you find a good deal then you might save a bit of money too.
Ever thought about shopping on ebay? Just Shop with caution and you can find a good deal there too
which ever route you go dont buy anything from best buy! It is best to buy direct from manufacturer-like dell and oh yeah avoid E-machines.

good luck
John

get a mac.

my computers have been PCs all my life. I started using Clownburner's mac, and I love it. My next computer will be a mac. It does everything my PC does, but it does it better, faster, and without crashing.

I did research this after volo's reply and found that the Mac has less ram, less processing, less bus, less hard drive and less everything else for the same price as the Dell I put together. Plus the Dell has the 3 yr. on site support.

but comparing mac ram/speed and pc ram/speed isn't a good comparison, because the MacOS is much more efficient. My laptop has got more ram and a faster processor than Clownburner's laptop, but his runs noticeably faster.

Now that you mention it I've heard that before as well. I really like PCs because you can upgrade 95% of the stuff if you want to. As far as the stable OS, I find that Macs crash just as much as my PC and there are other issues that are a nightmare with macs like certain peripherals.

http://www.bensbargains.net , search for dell. I am not advocating one brand over another like other people who had bad or good experiences with 1 or 2 of the thousands build. But dell is giving good pricing right now. The choice is still yours...

Rebate: Dimension 8400 3.2GHz 512MB 19" LCD $799 at Dell Business Click Here
Discuss (10) Posted 9:46 AM PST 11/11/04 by Ben

Now with 19" LCD, up from 17" LCD last week. Configure the Dimension 8400 system. The base configuration is $899 - $100 rebate = $799 with free shipping.

Pentium-4 3.2GHz HT, 512MB Dual DDR2, Dell Keyboard/Mouse, 40GB SATA

Radeon X300 SE 128MB PCI-E, 5.1 Audio, Gigabit Ethernet, 19" E193FP LCD

Free Dell 720 Color Printer, 48x CDROM, XP Home, 2-Yr Warranty

hmm... I've never managed to crash a mac, but i get the BSOD every so often on my PC.

the other thing to look at with a PC is sure, you can upgrade it, but will you? you're buying a new one right now. why not just upgrade the old one? because it's a royal PITA? A lot of people buy PCs and intend to upgrade them when they need it, but don't.

Beg to differ - eMachines are crap. Avoid like the plague.

Woo Hoo!! Game on, brother. I challenge you to open a Compaq, HP, Gateway, eMachine, Dell or any other component assembler and tell me the difference. In the early days, eMachines (not unlike Dell, Gateway, et.al) got a bad rep for using inferior components for market penetration, but have since moved to the more mid-stream manufacturers. Bottom line - its about brand loyalty now.

If one want's a PC where the R&D is done in-house, then we gotta go with Toshiba, Sony or Mac.

IMO the one's I mentioned previously are all 2 year disposables. Buy it, fire it up, work on it for a couple of years, toss it and move on.

If we're talking ultimate machines... ya gots to build it yourself.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Well, I had a really nice long response and the proxy demon ate it...soo....I dont feel like retyping in entirety.

1. Dell support, support, support. The ability for next day replacement of bad crap can be a huge value! I love it even at work, where I have plenty of knowledge and no time. For the same price +3 years, simple choice is dell.

2. Early e-machines, blah, blah. Maybe they are good now, I have no idea. But the last time I touched one they were CRAP. So, just like Compaq, I don't touch them any more. You can only waste so much time before you say not again. In any case, I don't want emachines support at my local best buy.

3. Building your own machines is good for control, not price. I have built every machine of mine since probably 96-ish. Just like putting a Mikuni carb on, it offers exactly what you want. But cheap is not the goal. Neither is support. I can afford to tweak stuff in order to support a machine that does vid cap, dvd burning, multi video and audio output, including optical, home theater, remote control, wireless remotes, etc. My mom can't. And most people that just want a pc, can't.

4. Macs: Tell me why you need one. If you can't, then you don't. PCs are still the default choice based simply on availability and price. I like Macs, I would like a G5, but for specific reasons. Pretending they are another general purpose PC just is not accurate. They are an internet terminal (Imac) or a high end workstation (G5 series). They are not a cheap common solution.
--

>Macs: Tell me why you need one.

Because all the video and photo editing software that 90% of the population needs comes installed for free :ph34r: iMovie and iPhoto are hands down some of the top programs in thier categories. iPhoto is better then Photoshop at a few things. iMovie blows Microsofts free thing away so bad its not funny. Both those if you were to buy PC equals are about $500-700 if you go Photoshop/Premiere.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

This is what I want to do. My main purpose is to edit video, pics, music and play on the internet at home. I am no video editing professional so I need to learn the basics first.

This is exactly why you need a Mac. Anyone who has ever spent time using both Windows and Mac OS X knows OS X is more productive. Once you go Mac you never go back! ;)

BTW...Volo, that's an awesome Mac setup you have!
---
Some days it's not even worth the effort to chew through the restraints.

I got tired of thinking about all this shit! I spent probably 6 hrs. of my work day looking at fuckin' computers and different configurations. I could not find anything that came close to the dell considering configurations and price.

I can get exactly what I want with Dell. So to get rid of my headache, Dude, I got a Dell...:S;)

This is what I want to do. My main purpose is to edit video, pics, music and play on the internet at home. I am no video editing professional so I need to learn the basics first.

This is exactly why you need a Mac. Anyone who has ever spent time using both Windows and Mac OS X knows OS X is more productive. Once you go Mac you never go back! ;)

BTW...Volo, that's an awesome Mac setup you have!

I've used iMovie on my office computer. Didn't really like it. I do like iTunes though.

Final Cut Pro is the cat's meow!

Do they make this for PC?

Here is what I ended up getting folks:

-Pentium® 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3.00GHz, 800 FSB)
-Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
-3Yr Ltd Warr,At-Home,and Tech Support plus Nights and Weekends
-1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (2x512M)
-160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
-Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/dbl layer write
-19 in E193FP Flat Panel Display
-128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X300 SE
-Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer
-Dell Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse
-McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan,Firewall and Privacy,1-year
-Network InterfaceIntegrated Intel® PRO 10/100 EthernetIN[430-0412]
-Modem56K PCI Data Fax Modem
-Document ManagementAdobe Reader 6.0
-Sound CardSound Blaster Audigy˙2 ZS (D) Card w/Dolby 5.1, and IEEE 1394
-Productivity SoftwareWordPerfect®, Powerful Word Processing COREL
-Digital MusicDell Jukebox PLUS
-Digital PhotographyPaint Shop˙ Pro® Trial plus Photo Album˙ Starter EditionDPS
-Internet Access Services6 Months of America Online Membership
-Operating System EnhancementsCombo:
Microsoft® Plus! for Windows XP and Digital Media Edition
-Dell Media ExperienceDell Media Experience˙ Deluxe with Remote Control

$1600 Tax, title, license and shipping discount

No, but there are alternatives, including of course Premiere.
You might try this as a free entry level: http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp
It is the little brother to AvidXpress

The fact of the matter is that most people just want a friendly gui in vid editting. Most casual users just want to use firewire and play. Most video editting programs can do more than the user ever will. It comes down to user friendly.
--

get a mac.

my computers have been PCs all my life. I started using Clownburner's mac, and I love it. My next computer will be a mac. It does everything my PC does, but it does it better, faster, and without crashing.

it CAN do everything your PC does.. IF you have the software... mac's are getting much better about offering peers to the most common windows software, but if you have application specific tasks you can almost always find cheap or free PC software to do it... youll pay for it from mac if its offered at all... and if your a gamer, a Mac is worthless..

still for general computing use mac's are beautiful.. my next laptop will be one... i just can decide if i want a new PC desktop first or not....