g3ninfinite

Vigil 2 vs Cypres 2

The gear section isn't exactly up-to-date. :S

I guess the next not so nice suggestion to the OP would be to do a search... [:/]

Hopefully someone will chime in with some experience as I would like to know what were the factors in people choosing one over the other, too. I'm probably going to be making a purchase in the near future as well, if the rig I buy doesn't come with one, so I've been reading about the Cypres, Vigil, and Argus as well.

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

it seems like they both will do the same job. From my understanding the vigil has a 20 year life and needs no servicing which in the long run works out an aweful lot cheaper than the 12 year cypres life and 2 services in between.

After theissues with the first vigil, I have no problem what so ever paying to have an AAD checked every four years.

Seriously, not having the AAD serviced of all things makes no sense to me.
We check all our gear all the time, including our reserves.

I dont think the whole 20 year life span without being serviced is much of a selling point to me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

For you it may not be, for many others it is..

If something's wrong with Vigil, it will display an error, then you can send it for servicing or you can send it yourself anytime you wish if you think it will make you feel any better...
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Maybe one day like any electronic device it will not display 'error'.

Im not saying it is a bad product, im just saying i like my shit serviced. My boat, my car, my bike, my reserve, my rig, everything. I have never owned a single object that has lasted 20 years without it being serviced, especially not something i would trust my life with. To say it does not need servicing for its lifespan of 20 years except for replacing batteries is not a good sales pitch to me. Thats all. So i personally am not going to buy a vigil because of that factor alone. I might buy one for other factors but that marketing pitch is something i have to ignore from my experience in life of buying products of all types.

If that is not a fair statement then i want to shop where you shop.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

For you it may not be, for many others it is..

If something's wrong with Vigil, it will display an error, then you can send it for servicing or you can send it yourself anytime you wish if you think it will make you feel any better...

or fire at 1000m/3300 ft without warning....:| happened again 3 weeks ago at a DZ I was jumping at.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The dead horse has already been beaten several times.

In my opinion, one is much better than the other.

My opinion is based on the criteria which are important to me.

Your opinion may differ.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My personal preference is Cypress over Vigil. I've witnessed two Vigil fires (one on plane and one in final under main) and both looked really scary. From what I read I understand that Vigil does not have the ability to check if change in altitude it detects is logical or not; good example is vigils firing when slamming the trunk - it should detect pressure difference but it should not fire if the change is that fast.

Cypress on the other hand requires 4 year service (costs money) but then again you also repack your reserve much often than that and most people don't mind paying for it.

But that's just my opinion, research for yourself, ask people around you and make your decision.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

You might try Argus.

I have "not so good" experience with Vigil personally.
my2c

They are one in the same aren't they?

I only trust Cypres.... to many stories of bad things occuring with other units. I know many that have watched the Cypres save lives over and over and I like the unit being serviced. JMHO but I think it is well worht the money!

I also jump with the owner of SSK and his son so yes I may be a little biased :P
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Vigil lover here <-------- service doesn't mean elektronics won't malfunction... It's cheap, it works (i found out myself). That 4 yearly service crap and battery change doesn't attract me at all. If I want service, I don't want to lose my AAD for 3 weeks and pay for it bigtime.

But I think it's a good thing that cypres has something to compete for. Cause that whole one player on the market thing got exploited too much. But in my eyes there is no competing against vigil...

I think it's a kind of IE & FF situation, but don't shoot me for saying that. Because we can't compare browsers with AAD's. Anyway I love firefox too heheheh.

Peace out,
and don't go low cause you will find out they all work.
All speeding past collide and crashing, I'm in paradise.

Vigil lover here
But I think it's a good thing that cypres has something to compete for. Cause that whole one player on the market thing got exploited too much. But in my eyes there is no competing against vigil...

I think it's a kind of IE & FF situation, but don't shoot me for saying that. Because we can't compare browsers with AAD's. Anyway I love firefox too heheheh.

Peace out,
and don't go low cause you will find out they all work.

I'm gonna do that whole "my rig is better than yours thing"

You are crazy if you think the vigil can compare to the Cypres! :P

I think it comes down to preference and my Cypres comes back to me in a day when serviced (im lucky). I do agree that competiton is great it drives companies to be better and think of things they may not have if someone or some other company wasn't there keeping them on their toes.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

>Ill admit that the appearance and marketing of the Vigil 2 has impressed me.

That's at about the bottom of my list of important factors!

Both are good AAD's. The Cypres 2 will not misfire in a spuriously pressurized aircraft; the Vigil 2 will. Since I jump from such aircraft occasionally I go with the Cypres 2. But if that's not an issue for you, the Vigil is a good alternative.

You might try Argus. I have "not so good" experience with Vigil personally ---

?? please explain why you think so.

William

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic (I hope?)

Also a few of the stories I've heard of vigils firing at the wrong altitude have been shown to be the person not turning off the vigil and then jumping from a different altitude.

I jump a Vigil and am extremely happy with it... that said you MUST turn it off at the end of the day to avoid this mistake. Even the car trunk thing is avoided by just turning it off.

Also at the start of each jump day make sure you turn it on (don't check to see if its on, actually turn it on and if you don't remember then turn it off and turn it on again. It only takes a couple seconds per day and can potentially avoid a problem.) Yes this is a down side vs Cypres, but its one that I'm ok with.
"Damn you Gravity, you win again"

I jumped my Vigil II in Scotland where there are shit loads of highlands and altitude changes and after jumped I never turned it off and drove home back with it on and I never had any fires..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Argus and Vigil are definitely NOT the same thing with different packaging. I jump an Argus, don't trust the Vigil, like the Cypres also, but got a great deal on the Argus. Argus hasn't had the misfire issues of the Vigil. I once watched a student Cypres not fire til well under 500', so nothing is perfect, but it did save this guys life. I jumped for over 15 years without an AAD. I hope I never need it, but...
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

You might try Argus. I have "not so good" experience with Vigil personally ---

No they are not the same. I jump Argus. Apart from it`s main function of cutting the loop, I like low maintennance cost, easy battery replacement and nice LCD display.
I witnessed some Vigil isues that I did not like, but in the end it seems that AAD choice is perosnal preference thing. Vigil comes in cool box though.
dudeist skydiver #42