Casch

How do you get a minor across the border?

lol...So we're doing a LAN party in Seattle on Saturday and one of our members lives in Surrey, BC. She's 17 right now, I was planning on picking her up and giving her a ride but I just realised they probably wouldn't let her across the border with me am I right? Is there any way to get her to Seattle without being accompanied by a parent? Probably not...

lol...So we're doing a LAN party in Seattle on Saturday and one of our members lives in Surrey, BC. She's 17 right now, I was planning on picking her up and giving her a ride but I just realised they probably wouldn't let her across the border with me am I right? Is there any way to get her to Seattle without being accompanied by a parent? Probably not...

A notorized, signed letter from her parents stating it is ok for you to cross the border with he should be fine. She'll also need a passport or birth certificate. My mom takes my kids up to Canada for a week or two vacation in the summer. Getting the letter notorized is important and it is what the border guards have told us to do. A letter/proof of insurance is also a good idea incase she gets hurt

As a kid I use to go camping in Canada with the scouts. although my father usually joined us we had several scouts that weren't accompanied by parents.

we never had a problem... but of course I believe we had to get some sort of permission slip signed before embarking...

Scott

Just have to say that a minor is a minor, and laws are laws. If the father is not interested in signing a consent form then I would wait for 3 weeks.

I have seen police take these cases really seriously in the past (in australia) and it is not worth the hastle. I mean the cases I have heard about have been a little bit different but I am talking about kidnapping charges being discussed and stuff.

I would suggest contacting the police, customs, border control or whoever the authority is and ask them.

Mind you i think the saturday has past so what did you end up doing?

Yup, sounds like we'll have to do it again next month...there's no way I'm getting a signed letter from her dad. Oh well

Okay... you're saying her parents don't even approve of this trip? :S Yeah well, Canadian or American, that's just bad news. :|
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

I posted this on Monday, so saturday hasn't come yet ;)

I've already settled on the fact that it's not happening, so yeah, it's ok. The big reason I wanted to bring her is that her Mother died last week, and her dad had been gone for 4 straight days. I wanted to bring her to Seattle to let off some steam and be with friends since her own damn family wasn't there for her. Thankfully her Father showed up 2 days ago, and things are going much better for her now. I will be giving her a visit on her birthday though, so all is well