Vallerina

The vegetarian thing

Hey, we are at the top of the food chain. We can do whatever we want! :S

I personally eat very, very little meat. I am not a vegetarian but just don't have much of it included in my diet for some reason. I eat meat when there is nothing else available or drinking. I generally eat only organics and whole grains and mostly raw.
Please feel free to reply to my posts and pm's, but only if you're smart enough to understand what they really mean.

I eat more veggies now than I used to. Of course, there are plenty I still find yucky, but I'll grub down on them.

Ketchup is one of my favorite vegetable dishes. I find it complements the fatty starchiness of fried potatoes. Heck, ever toss ketchup on a baked potatoe? Blows margarine all to hell how good it is.

Salsa is also great. Tomatoes, onion, peppers, all adding flavor to deep fat fried corn. Tremendous.

:P

On a serious note, I am particularly fond of artichokes, brussels sprouts, and any of a number of salads that one can put together. Peas and corn and other grains also are wonderful

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I am by no means a vegetarian, far from it, however for the last few years I very rarely had any meat for lunch. In NYC every other deli you walk into now has some sort of create your own salad station where you start w/ a bowl of a few kinds of greens and add toppings from a huge variety of choices.

That was my lunch pretty much every day and you could just grab it and go. It made for a light but filling lunch and left me ready for dinner at a decent hour so I wasn't eating right before going to bed.

When I was working in Atlanta I tried finding a place like it but there was nothing to be found and now where I live in the suburbs there are a few "salad restaurants" where you go for a sit down meal and it's just a big salad bar but nothing to just grab and take home.
Killing threads since 2004.

I don't cook either

To all you veggieheads that don't cook....just an FYI for a pretty tasty option. Talk to your local SUBWAY manager or owner and request they start stocking the VeggiMax veggieburger or gardenburger It is an approved item they can carry if they have the call for it. I'm told by many of my customers that I seem to be the only locations(2) that have it in Arkansas. Even as a diehard meat eater I like it for a lite snack. It does have a heavy soy taste to it and reminds me of chinese food. It is not low fat tho...somethings got to hold the veggies together.

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

Talk to your local SUBWAY manager or owner and request they start stocking the VeggiMax veggieburger or gardenburger It is an approved item they can carry if they have the call for it.

I hadn't eaten at a Subway for a couple of years...until this week. Went by one near where I work and was surprised at their menu addition. A "veggie patty" sandwich! It was really good!!

And this coming from a life-long vegetarian who KNOWS how to cook (just doesn't like to, much). :P

Oh, and about the beer being vegetarian...I gained at least 10 pounds over the past 3 years since I started drinking the stuff on weekends. So, beer = weight gain! ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I don't cook either

To all you veggieheads that don't cook....just an FYI for a pretty tasty option. Talk to your local SUBWAY manager or owner and request they start stocking the VeggiMax veggieburger or gardenburger

Well, I never said that I was a vegetarian. I LOVE MEAT!!! (Yet, seafood is my absolute favorite...always has been.) I do, however, shop organic and am around many vegetarians as I live in SoCal. Ironically enough, I prefer garden/veggie burgers over most (beef) burgers, but I don't really eat at Subway. Thank you for the helpful hint, though. :)
Btw, I could cook if I had to feed others, but I live alone. When I am with my boyfriend, we usually eat at restaurants, take-out, or he cooks me something wonderful. (I know, I'm lucky.)

Here in GA if you don't eat meat....you pretty much don't eat (when they have cook-outs at the dz). Just wondering if there are any dz's I can 'happen' onto that will surprise me and my diet??

If you choose to be different, don't expect everyone else to cater to your special needs - bring your own soy burgers or something, and take care of yourself.

I am one of two vegetarians at our small dz. Those who get the food ready for the weekend parties and such take us into account and always have Gardenburgers and the like for us, or make a pan of vegie lasagna to go with all the meat eaters' stuff. We get some ribbing about it, of course, but nobody disses us too much. There are even a number of calorie/fat conscious people who'll have the vegie-burgers as well.

The small food service provided at the Lost Prairie boogie took vegetarians into account as well. There were vegie burgers available, although they were about twice the $ of the beef burgers.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I went vegan for a month (with the caveat that I could drink beer at will) to win a bet with my college room-mate my junior year of college. The sonofabitch was grilling meat out when I would come home. After the end of the month I slugged him after he paid up then I went to 'Mama's All You Can Eat Country Buffet' and pigged out for about three hours. NEVER again!

I respect you for doing so Val! That's awesome you have that kind of willpower.

:P
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Nice one Vallerina. That's awsome.

I try hard to minimize my use of animal and animal products - a better person than me would eliminate. _I think_ it's not our right to kill and mistreat animals - where alternatives exist. Plus I'd never eat anything I wouldn't personally kill.

However, for some things there are not alternatives or not easy alternatives and there are definite health issues involved. BTW: Have you considered iron tablets?

You might want to consider your attitudes on other animal products such as some soaps, honey, some lipsticks and swade + leather. Personally I think there is nothing more dis-taceful than ruining a nice car by coating the inside with dead skin from some poor beast!

PS: Indian food is very often vege. In Aussie Subway gives us Vege Pattiy Sandwich = yumm (spicy too). MD has the best vege burger of the fast food chains.

Blues Benno

Okay, if I can do it, anyone can! I don't cook. I'm not a huge fan of vegetables. I love spicy food. I don't like most Asian foods. Me being a vegetarian seems darn near impossible! Well, I have eaten fish on random occassions (about once a month...Hey! I need it around my periods!) So, I guess I haven't been a true vegetarian, but I'm cutting back on fish, too (it's a gradual process.)

Blue Dreams Benno

there are lots of really yummy spices out there other than salt.

For example:

Basil on tomatoes or tomato sauces and pasta
Dill with fish or chicken or veggie soup
Oregano on pizza, tomato sauce, salads, fish or lamb, and veggies
Rosemary on lamb, pork or chicken
Tarragon on chicken, fish, or veggies
Thyme on fish and chicken

This link might help you. http://www.hopkinsafter50.com/html/silos/hypertension/wpARTICLE_sodium.php

Back in March, I started a reduced carbohydrate diet. I cut out sugar and starches, and get the main portion of my carbs from salads and veggies.

6 months later I was 40 pounds lighter, had taken 50 points off my total cholesterol and over 100 from my triglycerides.

For me, the diet works. Do some research (a websearch for "Syndrome X" will bring up interesting studies about blood sugar, diabetes and heart disease.) and make up your own mind about it.

A question for the vegetarians: I know that legumes can provide the needed dietary protein - but I recall reading something about needed amino acids that you can only get via meat protein? Can someone clue me in on that?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I just made it a whole year without eating any land animal meats. Was just wondering.... What would happen if i pigged out on ribs and burgers for a day ?
Would i get /feel sick ?
anybody know ?

Ever see the movie, "Supersize Me"? Yes, you'll feel sick...at least by the 3rd day. :P

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I haven't had any really strong meat cravings....except when I see hot wings and beer. I do miss that.

You can get vegeterian hot wings at Trader Joes, actually very good, so you don't even have to give those up :)
Congrats Val with making a commitment and sticking to it. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't really care for meat and I try to be health conscious about what I eat, so most of the time I eat vegeterian, except for fish, I love fish, especially sushi.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I've seen people get sick after eating beef when they had been on a vegetarian diet for years.

When I started back to meat I started with fish and chicken (ok...mostly chicken as I couldn't stand fish at the time) and was fine.

But why don't you try and let us know :P

Jen
Arianna Frances