Airbender

No Beer

I just started jumping still inAFF I don't want to break any traditions but I don't drink and will never buy anyone else an alcoholic beverage. It would be stupid for me too. I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good alternative. I thought I might take my instuctors out to eat some where decent. Any ideas? I know this probably sounds absurd to some of you but say you don't smoke crack you think crack is bad would you buy your friend a rock. Prob not, Of coarse some of you would but any of you with brains help me out thanx.

Ask people what they like! Tell your DZ jm's how you feel. Maybe just donate some equivalent $$ to the beverage cause or bring a cooler of gatorade and/or soda, red bull, or bottled spring water on a hot day as an offering. Talk to the people at your home DZ and they will let you know what's best. :)

i'm not sure why buying beer would be 'stupid' even if you dont drink.. but i'd go with the case of Gatorade (just make sure you get a case, it goes faster than beer during the jump day) if your prejudice prevents you from allowing others to enjoy themselves for your 'first' achievements...

actually i'd say 'suck it up' and buy the beer... you dont HAVE to drink one yourself if you have personal issues with alcohol...

that's a crappy analogy

I agree. Beer isn't illegal, but crack is. A lot of people don't jump, but I'm sure you wouldn't mind if they bought you a jump ticket! ;) That's another idea. You could always buy your JM's a jump ticket or two...

I just started jumping still inAFF I don't want to break any traditions but I don't drink and will never buy anyone else an alcoholic beverage. It would be stupid for me too. I was just wondering what you guys think would be a good alternative. I thought I might take my instuctors out to eat some where decent. Any ideas? I know this probably sounds absurd to some of you but say you don't smoke crack you think crack is bad would you buy your friend a rock. Prob not, Of coarse some of you would but any of you with brains help me out thanx.

Students are exempt from beer rules. Don't let anyone tell you different.

After student status, buy soda or gatorade.

jen
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

wow. you guys are pretty quick to pass judgement on someone because of their opinion.

if i had my child or mom or husband killed by a drunk driver, there's no way i'd buy beer either because i think i'd have a slight aversion to alcohol based on my experience.

shame on you guys for slamming him and calling him prejudiced without knowing his reasons.

as far as crack being illegal and alcohol not...legality doesn't make it any less harmful.

blues,
arlo

Students are exempt from beer rules. Don't let anyone tell you different.

After student status, buy soda or gatorade.

jen

What if I cutaway (god forbid) as a student? No beer then either?

I've seen people bring O'Douls (non-alcoholic beer), root beer, other sodas, Gatorade, water and even tasty treats (cookies, brownies, etc) to pay their beer debts. I think food is a great idea - but bring it out when the beer light goes on, not in the middle of the day.

See, it's really not about the beer. "Buying your beer" is about spending time with other jumpers at the end of the day, when people are relaxing and socializing. A lot of teaching and learning goes on around a bonfire or in a hangar after sunset.

I think food is a great idea - but bring it out when the beer light goes on, not in the middle of the day.

Thats an awesome suggestion. Buy pizza, spicy deep pan pizza. Mmmmmm:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

as far as crack being illegal and alcohol not...legality doesn't make it any less harmful.

I wasn't slamming him or passing judgment. I just thought it was a poor analogy.
There are other options besides alcohol as I and others have pointed out. :)

A cooler full of gatorade and water is much more appreciated than beer. Don't ever feel like you have to buy beer and if anyone pushes the issue, find new people to hang out with.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Well, if you have a cutaway as a student you're going to want a drink right? And it would probably be nice to get some beer as a thank you for the people that help you gather your gear and such. So whether or not it's required, you're most likely gonna pass around a few beers anyway ;)

I don't drink/buy beer either. I make a really mean rum cake that I've brought in for firsts. Burn off the alcohol so everyone can eat it in the morning for breakfast. Food and other drinks are always a good thing. Gatorade and water especially, in this hot summer weather.
~skysprite

Wow... a bit condescending, aren't we?

I hope I'm not the only one who sees the irony in this statement:

"Prob not, Of coarse some of you would but any of you with brains help me out thanx."

I also didn't appreciate the "better than thou" attitude. It's fine if you don't drink or you don't want to buy alcohol, but to call those that do decide to drink brainless is just not cool
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

wow. you guys are pretty quick to pass judgement on someone because of their opinion.

no but i'm pretty quick to pick up on tone....

even IF a someone under the influence killed your relatives, your personal aversion and issues with alcohol in no way justify such a blatant condescending attitude towards those who indulge responsibility...

Why not buy some soda? Some people would use it as a mixer - others would drink it. A case of soda, some chips and salsa, and you'd be good to go in my book.

Welcome to the sport.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!