nuntiux

When did you decide to go for your first boogie? After how many jumps?

Hi All,

Byron Boogie will be my first one. I'm just a little scared [:/], because I don't have a lot of jumps... I'm still a beginner.
I want just want to know how did you feel for your first boogie?
Did you have a lot of jumps/experience for your first time?
Samuel - Adept of Byron's Love

I might be going to my first boogie at the end of the year. (http://www.africanfreefall.com). By that time ill have around 300 jumps and im really excited. But ive definitly waited longer than most people i think, but thats mainly due to financial reasons since Ive never really had enough money before to go to a boogie and do the amount of jumps that I would want to.

Im sure it doesnt matter how many jumps you have when you go to your first boogie. For me, I wouldn't want to go when still a student, but after student status there's no reason why not.

I had 50 or so and went to Dublin St Patty's Day boogie. It was a blast. Don't forget you logbook, make sure your reserve pack is within 120 and don't be shy.
Tell the wonderful folks at manifest you are new and they will try and hook you up with some other low timers like myself.

Just don't try and bullshit people because it will show in the air and don't try get on any big-way stuff because you're not ready and those people are paying good money for their jump ticket and don't want to waste it on someone that isn't ready. Everyone will help you if you are honest and the big thing is HAVE FUN!:)Good luck
"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

My first boogie was at my own DZ, and I had about 20 jumps. My second boogie was at a Florida DZ, and I had about 40 or so jumps.

You'll be fine. Don't do anything you're not comfortable with, and keep your head on a swivel under canopy . . . make sure to find your "level" under canopy. Don't spiral down through traffic just to clog it up with your big canopy. (I'm just assuming you have a big canopy, because of your jump numbers. No offense intended).

Don't worry, Samuel.. It's just another day at the dz.. Just a little busier. The cool thing about it for you is the organizers already know you. Don't over-party, stay out of the wrong skydives and be aware under canopy. You'll be fine and have a great time. :)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

I went to my first boogie by accident, really. I wanted to go out to the new home DZ for a few jumps when I had about 40 jumps late in '95. Back then I did not know about rec.skydiving or dropzone.com or had any email updates and stuff like that. It just happened that Mullin's King Air was there for a $99 boogie-til-ya-puke. I made 6 jumps in the one day I went (Sunday). God, how I miss those $99 boogies... [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I had about 45 when I went to a smaller boogie, 65 or so at a larger boogie.

There was a good post a while back about this (though some of the posts are aimed at women going to boogies, a lot of the advice applies generally).

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1574697
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My first one was at jump #29...went to Eloy Holiday Boogie. An experience that made it all worthwhile. Let people know where you are at...jump numbers and all. I have yet to meet anyone who wasn't willing to help me figure it all out.
IF you are going to be Stupid - you better be tough!

Don't over-party,

duude.. how can you over-party? ah wait.. I think I understand.. is that when you party really hard on Friday night like Ballsack did last year and then not be capable of getting out of your tent for the rest of the boogie? :D

stay out of the wrong skydives and be aware under canopy. You'll be fine and have a great time. :)

Agreed!
Samuel, you'll do fine my friend!

We had Mullins in for 2 July - 4 July.......I did my 25th dive to get my A on 1 July :D

In any case, that was a single plane boogie, and pretty calm, though we put out roughly 1,000 jumpers in 3 days! My first "big" boogie will be the dz.com holiday boogie in December, where I'll be hitting 100 jumps sometime during the fun. Who's in for pie?
cavete terrae.

My first was the NCFF in 2003 - I had around 30 somthing jumps and no A License - had to land at "the Barn".

Scott Meeker and some other guy through me out of the CASA and Dingo was calling me Bumblebee because of this yellow jumpsuit I borrowed from ActionAir.

Ditto what the other guy said about hooking you up with lowtimers like myself.

I had 50 or so and went to Dublin St Patty's Day boogie. It was a blast. Don't forget your logbook, make sure your reserve pack is within 120 and don't be shy.
Tell the wonderful folks at manifest you are new and they will try and hook you up with some other low timers like myself.

Just don't try and bullshit people because it will show in the air and don't try get on any big-way stuff because you're not ready for it

I second Bob's responses...

Adding - it sounds like you're not travelling too far from home (or even travelling at all) so don't sweat it too much. If you're known to the organizers...even better. They can help put you with low time jumpers who are all working on the same stuff and it will be more fun and more social for you.

Again - don't be shy. If you see/hear of an experienced jumper hanging around - ask them politely for a 2 way...get them to coach you on something/anything. Be honest with yourself and them about your skills. Don't be too big for your britches....no matter how cool they say it will be. Be weary of them trying to do too much...I've seen a 50-60 jump wonder trying to get a 10 jump wonder to exit headdown and then try to sit-fly (I personally put an end to that jump:S).....if something similar to that happens....WARNING Consult an organizer, or simply find a coy way of getting off that particular jump...this person doesn't have YOUR best interest in mind.
If they have attitude & won't jump - it's them not you - most won't though (although they may back out b/c it's a boogie for them too!). More often than not - they will jump with you & won't even charge you a jump ticket (I never do). Not only will you make a new friend - you'll learn something in the process.B|

Be safe under canopy also...I was nervous the first time I was on a dz with a plane bigger than a Cessna...not to mention petrified at Rantoul![:/]
If they're running multiple aircraft, or multiple jump runs (common in Rantoul) than just keep your head/wits about you.

oh yeah....AND HAVE FUN!!!!!;):D
(esp. afterhours!)

Kahurangi e Mahearangi,
Kiwi, RB #926, AFF-I, FAA Snr. Rigger, RN/BSN/Paramedic

I had about 70 at Summerfest last year. It was kind of a waste, because I didn't have the skills to get in on the skillz camps and jump with people I normally wouldn't.

Solos at boogies kinda blow...
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

I had seven jumps. I was jumping at this little place in New England and I really wanted to see a real "boogie." The Ranch's Labor Day boogie was coming up and I went, just to watch. My friends thought I was nuts. Well, turns out that I got there, and when someone found out I was a student and just came to watch a boogie, they said, "We'll find a way to get you out of an airplane" and marched me over to the school! I ended up doing AFF level 4 (I'd been on a very strange progression at my home DZ so they had to scratch their heads and call my DZO to figure out what to do with me) and loving it so much I finished out AFF at the Ranch! I moved down there shortly thereafter. :)
"You guys should just do CRW. There are so many more ways to get killed, it makes a CYPRES seem safe." -Kevin Keenan

When I started, they weren't called boogies...they were called Meets. Yeah, I'm an Old Fart and I have the T-shirt.

Nostalgic man, gotta love it! So do you still do cutaways with a pocket knife? :o (kidding)

Thats what I like about skydiving...its an open sport, anyone who wants to participate doesnt have to go at it alone. You dont have to be a member of some stupid club like youre in a college fraternity/ sorority, otherwise you get "left out".