dj_smokie

Wait for CYPRES in emergency?

I'm beginning to look for my own gear and was researching AADs. I was reading CYPRES's "SAVES" testimonials on their page. Several of the stories account that the skydiver "waited" for their CYPRES to deploy because they "knew" it was about to fire.

That just sounds like a bad idea to me. Is there any reason you would ever wait for the CYPRES to fire after a malfunction or not being able to throw?

That just sounds like a bad idea to me.

It's a retarded idea. In fact it's the kind of decision made by a soon to be dead person.

Pull all handles, you never know when your "magic box" is going to fail.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

would you wait to crash and wait for your air bag to deploy if you saw you were about to get into a wreck but had time to try to do something about it?

i sure wouldn't. back up devices may save lives but they are just that "back ups". if you've got the time to do something about the sitution, do it! why keep gambling when you're already in dicey circumstances?
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

OK, thanks for verifying my initial thought that this is a bad idea. I thought that perhaps there must've been a logical reason that the people on the CYPRES page waited for it to fire that I didn't know about as a noob (like how sometimes people disconnect their RSLs).

to put it bluntly I think people who say this are lying. Think about the situation......I'm at <1000ft at terminal, and I'm so cool I waited for my cypres to fire....what BS....they had no clue where they where and reverse engineered a story to "impress". If your looking at the ground below 1000ft your response is never to wait.....unless thats another way of saying frozen panic.
regards, Steve
the older I get...the better I was

yes... your instincts are correct...

NEVER,,, never,,, 'wait for the cypres' to fire...:S

how humiliating would THAT be.......???

i had a jump a while ago, where i could not get my main P C handle....:|[:/]>:(....
( tried to find it THREE times and could not reach it... ( first day coming back, off a wrecked right shoulder..)

i KNEW i was getting waaaay low,,,, and Yes, even while at terminal and already busting 2000 feet,,,absolutely the realization that i was "aad equipped" flashed through my mind... MY response????? BEAT that cypres to the punch !!!....... and I did, coming in and pulling my reserve handle MYSELF.....I knew it was wrong to continue trying for main...at that point, since for sure,, i wouldda had a two-out..:(>:(..... the reserve slammed open, and i noted that i was right around 1,200 feet....
BUT i was safe, was under canopy, was lucid, and was able to watch my freebag, til it landed...
My buddy landed next to me shortly after I touched down,,, and the VERY first thing i asked him was,,,
"Check my reserve pack tray....?? Is my closing loop cut??? Did my Cypres fire"??.. he looked, and reported, "it did Not"
i was certainly pleased about that..:oB|;)....I have since switched to left hand main deployment,,, B O C ...:|

so IF a jumper KNOWS they are low, AND they have an AAD... AND they let that thing fire......
THAT would show very VERY poor judgement...

IMHO

Jmy
a 3914
D 12122

... right... it's NOT a situation if you are able to intervene,, even just 2 or 3 seconds BEFORE.....IT would become reality...

and that goes for many many "chains of events " which CAN be headed off, if we stay on TOP of things...
Such occurences WILL happen,,,,sometimes in freefall, or under canopy, and for sure,,,, while landing,,,,,even while packing...

this sport requires that the jumper Controls the jump and not the other way around..;)

sure. S *&T happens,,,,[:/]>:(
but only if you LET it...:P
if you can recognize it, and prevent it....
that would be best...always try to be in charge of your own skydive..
:|
j

to put it bluntly I think people who say this are lying. Think about the situation......I'm at <1000ft at terminal, and I'm so cool I waited for my cypres to fire....what BS....they had no clue where they where and reverse engineered a story to "impress". If your looking at the ground below 1000ft your response is never to wait.....unless thats another way of saying frozen panic.

One story that I heard (about someone I know, and from someone I trust who has already posted to this thread) did involve a double shoulder dislocation.
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

If they knew it was about to fire then maybe they should have gone straight to reserve if they were worried about a 2 out situation. I think it would be less shameful if you didn't have a cut closing loop.

-Michael

what if your cutter is mounted at the bottom of the packtray ?

Its just plain STUPID!!!

I friend of mine did that, he waited to his Cypress to fire at 750 ft because he could not find his main pud, he had changed from Leg to BOC.
That stupid action made him land in the middle of the city and he has a lot of metal in his legs and spent almost 2 years without jumping and 6 months in a wheel chair.

He did not pull the silver because he knew his cypress would work. :S

***Its just plain STUPID!!!

I friend of mine did that, he waited to his Cypress to fire at 750 ft because he could not find his main pud, he had changed from Leg to BOC.
That stupid action made him land in the middle of the city and he has a lot of metal in his legs and spent almost 2 years without jumping and 6 months in a wheel chair.

He did not pull the silver because he knew his cypress would work. :S

He's lucky it DID work :S

An AAD is a back up device just like a spare tire or safety inflatable bags. You hope you will never see it fire like you hope you will never have to use your spare tire. Then as several told you, stwitch on your AAD at the place you land (this is your zero reference) and forget it. They can fail and they do fail.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

A well maintained reserve ripcord is a good system and I would trust it 100x over before I put any faith into my AAD. I trust, hopefully that Cypres have figured out all the problems that cause accidential misfires, so if it does manage to work at the proper altitude/speed, that's good. I don't put any thought into it though, switch it on, always be ready for a malfunction, do your EP's as taught.

As far as I know, NO FJC teaches students to wait for the Cypres to fire, so there is the answer.

[reply
One story that I heard (about someone I know, and from someone I trust who has already posted to this thread) did involve a double shoulder dislocation.

Wasn't there a Cypress save after a freefall collision where the guy got a hard helmet slammed into his spine that temporarily paralyzed him? IIRC he got feeling back in his hands just before landing under the reserve. He said he was in freefall after the collision, unable to move anything, "waiting for the Cypress to fire". Very different from what the OP meant, and the ONLY excuse that would be acceptable IMO.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

That just sounds like a bad idea to me. Is there any reason you would ever wait for the CYPRES to fire after a malfunction or not being able to throw?

Well.... If I'd already worn both of my hands down to bloody stumps trying to get a canopy out under my control I'd be pleased to have my Cypres save my life. Otherwise not so happy about it.
Owned by Remi #?

For your next homework assignment, sit by the door or a good window on your next load. Pay close attention to your altimeter. Audibles don't count here, because on the ride up they won't even beep 'til you get to a grand, so you need to be watching a visual alti. When the needle is somewhere between 700 and 800 ft (actually somewhere between 500 - 900 ft, given the +/- 200 ft tolerance), take a GOOD look at the landscape. It should make you feel really queasy. Because that's where a functioning Cypres will release your pilot chute. And that's all it does. The rest is up to your gear, your body position, and the Good Lord above. At best you can hope for a canopy ride of perhaps 10 - 12 seconds. which still beats punching a crater any day, which is why so many of us wear them.

Some other idiot recently posted with a question about how low he could open his reserve and still flare it for a good landing. Maybe you could look into that for extra credit, once your Cypres hopefully opens your reserve.....

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

<<<<>>>>.

I think he was just asking a technical question. We all have to know the reserve operating margin to make sure to stay withing the limits. Some people judged us skydivers as idiots because we jump from perfectly good airplanes...!! We know (or at least we should) our limits.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.