Diversgodown

What are some reasons people stop Jumping?

For me, a lot of it was different priorities. Because I wasn't going to the DZ nearly as often, I felt it also upped my risk factor given that I was having to do recurrency jumps.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Losing a friend. Seeing a fatality or major injury. A change in priorities - marriage, kids, house, school, etc. A change in the financial situation. Having achieved what they set out to achieve. Injury. Death.

I don't consider those who say they aren't jumping now but will be jumping in the future to have "quit." I call that taking a break. Quit is sold the gear, taken the pictures off the wall and let the USPA (or equivalent) membership expire.

Why did I stop? Other things simply provided me with more pleasure. Back then I felt the best when I was jumping. Now jumping woudl provide great sensations, but it does not give me the happiness and fulfillment of other things in my life.

It's really that simple.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

i've dropped off my jumping because of some of the reasons mentioned above, but also other priorities come up -- while in law school it's harder to head out to the dz every weekend. also, when i have the city of chicago to party in, the dz parties look a lot less attractive.

SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!! I was wondering why we never saw you out there...

but just know that at least a few of us miss you, and want you to jump more. And law school can't be much busier than med school, seriously!

This year, many things came in the way. I am not giving up the sport, but, some more important things came up. My wife was sick, some major renovation on the house, a new job. I just could not swing the time.

I will be back in spring and jump as much as possible. To me jumping is something that I do for myself and ONLY for myself. I love the people at my DZ, I love jumping and I love the parties. Sometimes thing come up that are more important. When that happens, jumping has to be put on hold.

It will be there for me in the spring. No worries. :D

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Some get lost in the shuffle after graduating from student status

I hope that doesn't happen to me. I decided to pay some bills before starting up again, hopefully by the begining of next summer. I thought I'm not going to get current until I am damn good and ready to stay current!

***Glory Favors the Bold***

Early on I went like a year without a jump followed immediately by 15 months without a jump, both due to other interests I guess. I wasn't very good at skydiving, didn't have many friends in the sport, and had a whuffo girlfriend. I ditched the girl, decided to try skydiving again, and got hooked. I've since had to take a couple extended breaks due to injury, but those were pauses in skydiving rather than a complete stoppage.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was ready to quit earlier this year. It was starting to seem too much like work.

I had forgotten that it was fun until I found a dz that would let me on a load without a student strapped to me once in a while.

I like doing tandems, but when that's all you do, it becomes work.

I haven't jumped in about a month because I have gotten bored. We don't have a whole lot of freeflyers at my dz so after going to a guano boogie and doing big way head down jumps I have kinda gotta bored with doing the two way chase someone around jump. I have a good buddy that I love jumping with but we both are low on cash so that hurts also.

I have also started BASE so I have been doing that more also. BASE is free, unless you get caught :D, or have to travel.

I'll be ordering a PF phantom soon and will start wingsuit flying so that will get me back into the plane. Until then I'll probably not be jumping much. Or if I get into a fire department I'll have money. I'm a broke biatch right now.

Coco

I was out of the sport from 1993 to 2000. I couldn't afford to fly, skydive, and go to school all at the same time. There wasn't a day gone by that I didn't miss it. As soon as I got to a place where I could get back in, I did. Never gonna leave again.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

For several years, I jumped as often as I could get to the dz. Then I started living on the dz, sold my canopy (had a new one on order and it took longer than planned to come in) and felt like I was too busy in manifest to get on the airplane. When I changed dzs, the latter reason was enough to make me jump only sporadically.

Eventually, I left the dropzone and got a real job. I made one jump just before leaving, and I really did think I'd jump again. Major life events intervened, and I sold my gear.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure that not jumping saved my life. From the time I started jumping, I was intermittently ill with a thyroid disorder, the symptoms of which resemble dementia. I was able to function generally...sort of...but there were times when, had I jumped and had even a small problem, I might not have been able to deal with it. In the last two years before I quit jumping, I was sick most of the time, but I made about 50 jumps anyway, all of which were probably a bad idea.

I'm healthy now, I see the doctor every three months to stay that way, and recently I've been giving some consideration to jumping again.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

while in law school it's harder to head out to the dz every weekend.

heh, I did 400 jumps my first year in law school. Of course, I'm not in the top 5 percent or anything, and I do go to FSU....

;)

And I don't jump the few weeks before finals. Like now. This sucks.

brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

just moved and don't care for either of the dz's here. unforunately my tandem rating will expire jan 1, but i have a lifetime uspa membership and selling my gear is out of the question. in four years, we will pcs somewhere else and i'll start back up then.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com