waltappel

Lance Kirwin's Tandem Surfing

The funniest skydiving video I have ever seen was called (I think) Lance Kirwin's tandem surfing seminar. Apparently, Lance Kirwin, a tandem master, had the incredibly bad luck to have a rough tandem landing in the peas caught on video. I think it happened at the Ranch in Gardiner, NY.

The guy with the video was apparently a world-class wiseass (I aspire to that level of wiseassness!) and put a short video together.

Anyone who has seen the video would probably rather be beaten senseless that be the subject of that kind of video razzing, but that being said, it is absolutely hysterical!

Does anyone know how to get a copy?

Walt

i heard about this, never seen it.... but it sounds hilarioussss!!! i guess nobody has put it on the web yet?

It's waaaaaaaaaaaay beyond funny!!! I've never met Lance Kirwin so I don't know if this is true, but the story I heard was that Lance had a very high opinion of himself and didn't mind letting other people know it. Naturally, that made him a target.

There was an ugly side to it, though. The video was obviously meant as a good-natured joke but Bill Booth did not see it as being the least bit funny. He was very upset at seeing that kind of landing on a tandem and publicly threatened to jerk Lance's tandem rating. I don't know if he did jerk the rating, but he sent a very clear message to Tandem Vector rating holders that they had damn well better do their best with every single tandem passenger because bad tandem landings are no joke.

Gotta' respect Bill for his attitude on that but it did cast a bit of a dark light on what was an incredibly funny video.

It's been a lot of years now, and I do not wish any further embarrassment on Lance, but damn, it was a really funny video and I'd like to see it resurrected.

Walt

I have seen that one too - I'd love a copy for my collection!

Women screaming like in Godzilla movies, and the tandem student saying "what did I do wrong.?

:D

FWIW, I think the video is called Swoop Kirwin's Tandem Surfing Seminar instead of Lance Kirwin's....

Walt

There was another video of Swoop trying to land in a swimming pool but he comes in short and takes out a pile of pool furniture. Not quite as funny as the tandem surfing but a good watch.

madjohn

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

There was another video of Swoop trying to land in a swimming pool but he comes in short and takes out a pile of pool furniture. Not quite as funny as the tandem surfing but a good watch.

madjohn

If Lance ever reads this thread, he'll probably think I'm a real asshole (like many others do!) but I'm really not out to cause him any embarassment or resurrect any hard feelings on anyone's part. That video made me laugh like hell and I'd like a copy for my collection.

And I would also really like to see the video you described. Sounds like a riot!

Walt

I ought to put my former girlfriend's tandem landing to music and slow mo to make a NEW one. Actually it was shot around 1994 on a really bad Density Alti and tempurature day with NO WIND.

She was face planted at a dropzone of which I will not speak by a tandem master who I will not name.

To this day she won't go make a tandem with me. (I didn't have a rating at the time. :S
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

>There was another video of Swoop trying to land in a swimming pool but he comes in short and takes out a pile of pool furniture. Not quite as funny as the tandem surfing but a good watch.

that was actually an original ranch hand named chucky bonis and the incident took place at a very well known jumper/director/writer's house in florida

also in that collectors set was a clip following a jumper after he chuggs a pitcher of cold beer and pukes it up in the parking lot (while people are interviewing him and pulling his pants down)

also included in the set was (igors low pulls and other acts of insanity)
4-way video guy does a loooong delay after break off and was less than tree top when the slider came down on his batwing!!!

>>Main goal in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) 80-way World Record. <<

Let's do the 60 way SOS first. I'll come out of my "big way retirement" for that!!!

Only 3 more years for me.

Blue Skies!

Harry L
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."

"Your statement answered your question."

I've got the tee shirt!

JP from the Ranch put the thing together 20 years ago. He is a complete and total card. The Ranch is and has been a hot bed of characters for many years.

That was Tanya who Tom, "Lance", was telling about the rarefied air molecules. She was put up to acting dumb for the video.

I've got the tee shirt!

JP from the Ranch put the thing together 20 years ago. He is a complete and total card. The Ranch is and has been a hot bed of characters for many years.

That was Tanya who Tom, "Lance", was telling about the rarefied air molecules. She was put up to acting dumb for the video.

I JP the Ranch guy that used to host the wet t-shirt contest at the Herd Boogie every year? That guy was really funny!

Walt