Viking

Does Amazing Grace give anyone else goose bumps and shivers?

I don't know what it is but that song when done by someone with a REALLY good voice sends shivers up my spine!! Anyone else get that?
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

I know what you mean. My memory goes back to when about 100 blind campers sang it together. (I was an employee at a summer camp where one week out of the summer we had set aside for blind campers....of all ages). I cried when they sang the line, "Was blind, but now I see".

They were the most wonderful people in the world. They continually amazed us on how independent they were.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I was watching discovery or the history channel one night and learned the history of this song.....google it ..it'll make it that much better...I always thought it was a religous song but it turns out it was a former slave owner who came to light on the wrongs on slavery etc....good stuff....

"Don't Mess Around With the Guy in Shades- Oh No!!! "

everytime i hear it, especially bagpipes at a funeral...

It was played on the bagpipes at my sister's funeral. I was already crying anyway, but when the pipers started i cried a bit harder. I actually haven't heard it since that day 2 months ago, but i'm sure it will always remind me of my sister now.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Heck yes

But the most amazing playing of Amazing grace I have ever heard was with some friends. We had hiked up to the foot of the glaciers on the northwest side of Mt Adams in Washington State. The foot of the glacier is about 8000 ft on the 13,000 ft mountain. Just below the glacier there are huge fields of heather and in June it was in full bloom. As the sun began to set off to the NW it seemed to set the glacier on fire with the alpineglow of the long red rays of the setting sun on the glacier itself. Just then we heard someone just over a ridge start to pipe the sun down with bagpipes.. very soft and lilting in the high mountain air.... a rendition of Amazing Grace I will never forget.:)

Ok so far Amazon has the coolest!!! Not only makes me wanna come up there and do some hiking but also makes me wanna do some hiking!!!:PB|B|

well i'll have to see if i can make it up there in the spring. Just try not to laugh when i have to take a break every 30 minutes lol:$

Spring is pretty but the high country does not open up until late June.. and by then I plan on being in AZ permanently.....

But there is some good hiking to be had at Lost Prairie.... you sould come.. you can jump your dads Papillion .. I took it into the lake... very kewl:)

I would have to hussle and get my B and my water training. lol But I'd love to put a jump on the Pap! I would have to get a picture to give to my dad though.

Where in AZ ya moving?

Probably PHX area since that is the largest job market... or maybe Tucson...

The Pap did not make too big of a splash
hey se did hold water training there last year... Dave was running some poeple thru there at the dock
but this year I think.. I will go with the plan I had originally last year... the West end of the lake is less crowded... and a bit more open..and I will hand rigs to people unpacked.. IF they want to do the jump and THEY can get theri favorite rigger to pack it all up... .. or better yet.. have them bring a rig of thier own if they want to do the water jump.

I would have to hussle and get my B and my water training.

You've got 8 months! And, like Amazon said, water training was held in the lake this year (it looked like much more fun than the over-chlorinated community pool where I did mine!). And it even made the boogie video. B|

As for Amazing Grace, yes, it always has an impact on me, and in the right context, can give me goose bumps. Powerful stuff, and I'm not even religious.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

IMO it is completely overplayed, esp the bagpipe version, to the point it has become a cliche'. I am in Iraq right now and left explicit instructions that if I get whacked, it is not to be played at my memorial service. I told them instead to play "Spirit in the Sky."

CDR