Viking

Does Amazing Grace give anyone else goose bumps and shivers?

I don't know what it is but that song when done by someone with a REALLY good voice sends shivers up my spine!! Anyone else get that?

Saw it played in Korea by the Pipes & Drums of the First Bn, Princess Mary's Own 10th Gurkha Rifles (now merged into the Royal Gurkha Rifles), accompanied by the 8th US Army Band.

I've never been so moved by music, before or since.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I was watching discovery or the history channel one night and learned the history of this song.....google it ..it'll make it that much better...I always thought it was a religous song but it turns out it was a former slave owner who came to light on the wrongs on slavery etc....good stuff....

John Newton wrote it and lived in my home town of Olney for a long time. There is a great little museum dedicated to him and William Cowper on the market square there.

As long as it's includes Capt. Kirks Eulogy at Spocks space burial from Star Trek, The Wraith of Khan.

ya that was a tear jerker.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Yes, I've always loved that song. Todd Agnew has a version called "Grace Like Rain" which is absolutely wonderful...give it a listen sometime.

But Amazing Grace as a solo on bagpipes, when done well, is likely the most mournful, hopeful, graceful song I've ever heard.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Newton was a sailor. On Windjammer cruises, they hoist sails to "Amazing Grace". There is really nothing quite like feeling an old sailing ship take wind into her sails, and it is even more powerful when done to the sound of the pipes. I can feel the rocking of the ship and smell the teak as I type!!

:)

Best I have heard it done is by The Statler Brothers.

Actually the best version of that song I have ever heard was by the Blind Boy of Alabama, not sure if they were still called The Five Blind Boys of Alabama at that time.

They sing Amazing Grace to the music of The House of the Rising Sun. Just the clash between the meaning ehing both songs alone is worth it, but it actually sounds amazing as well....

You bet! There are other songs that do the same, but that is definitely in the top of the list.

Hmmm...

Amazing Grace
Star Spangled Banner
When Eagles Fly

I can't think of others right now... but yes. :)

The Navy Hymn (Eternal Father, strong to save...) but I grew up in a Navy family and also served.

I don't know what it is but that song when done by someone with a REALLY good voice sends shivers up my spine!! Anyone else get that?

Always. Always has. Always will.
"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.....
....I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see....
...was Grace that taught my heart.....and Grace will lead me home"
There are many amazing lines in this song. All will make you stop and think.
All will hopefully lead you Home.
I skydive because I believe God wants me to enjoy every last second He has given me on this earth.
Living in a cage and watching life is not an option!!
Enjoy the time you have. LIVE your life, let your faith lead you home when the time comes.
I try to live that every day, and teach my children the same. Enjoy your time here. You only get one go around. Have fun!!
Skydive!
BS,
Sue