eeneR

Pitbull Attacks 6....Why cant people understand?

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3608362

November 5, 2005 - Police say three dogs went on a rampage in a northwest suburb. Six people have been seriously injured. One child was listed in critical condition Saturday night.

One of the people attacked is the owner of the dogs. This all happened late Saturday afternoon in Cary.
There were three pit bulls. One was named Good Girl. The sheriff says they believe a door to the home where the dogs lived was propped open. That is when the dogs came outside and went on the attack. Witnesses say it was relentless.

"They just coming in biting and just biting hard, shaking their heads," said Jim Malone, witness.

Apparently unprovoked and almost unstoppable, three pit bulls attacked at random, tearing the clothes off of a child, biting a thumb off their owner.

"Two neighbors in particular tried to get the dogs off, could not, got bit up themselves," said one witness.

One witness grabbed a baseball bat. He used it to try to beat the dogs back. They just moved on to the next victim.

"They bit a lot of people. One of them was my best friend's brother and my best friend's dad," said Zack Corp, witness.

The dogs did back off when someone drove at them with a pickup truck. Around that same time, sheriff's deputies arrived and the dogs turned on them. The deputies opened fire and killed all three.

"Some of the injuries are over a block away from where the dogs were actually kept on Hawthorne, so the dogs were within a block or two radius of where they normally are and just in random attacked people," said Sheriff Keith Nygron, McHenry County.

"We're really shaken up about this. We knew the dogs and one was very, very friendly. The other two, we were always a little skittish about, because they weren't trained and still under a year old. One of them was a big dog," said Sharon Stauder Neighbor

Six people remained hospitalized Saturday night, including two 10-year-old children.

Police say there is nothing to suggest the pit bulls were being trained to fight. In fact, neighbors say they could frequently see the dogs roaming the neighborhood off leash and not threatening anyone.

THIS MAKES ME NUTS. People dogs are still animals, just like people snap and kill so do dogs, especially ones who were originally bread to do so. I dont care how good Polly is in your house, your dogs have NO BUSINESS wandering around un supervised EVER.

Those who are not familiar Pit Bulls have jaws that will lock shut, allowing them to shread the hell ouf of who ever they are attacking.

The two children they listed were both taken to the Hospital a good friend of mine worked at. She was there...she worked the case. I cannot say too much else right now as it is not to be released. But I will say this

[rant]
Those of you who think your dog cannot hurt anyone, DO NOT be so naive. Dogs are equiped with weapons. They can hurt, mame and KILL. If you get a dog you had better be prepaired to take responsibility for that animal. If that breed has a tendancy to attack, (RE: all those fun breeds that are banned, are done so for a reason in a lot of apartment complexes where there are large groupins of people) you had better understand and respect that. Dogs are not toys, they are not fuzzy little things that you play with, they are animals. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY or DO NOT get a dog.

Everytime I see this It pisses me off more then anything, The owners had better be charged, as their negligence has cause permant damage to others. I could go on and on, but let me say this, if I am ever in the area when something like this happens...the owner is gonna be hurting ;)

[/rant]
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

well, we have two boxers, and they are the most loving dogs, even roll around with the neighborhood kids. however, to be cautious is always called for. we have a double fence system, so that the some body can not put thier had through the fence to reach the dog, ie. a child wanting to pet the dogs, and to provide a better barrier to the outside for the dogs.

unfortunately there are stupid people everywhere, and pits have become a "status" symbol for some, i guess because they dont have any self worth of thier own.

well, we have two boxers, and they are the most loving dogs, even roll around with the neighborhood kids. however, to be cautious is always called for. we have a double fence system, so that the some body can not put thier had through the fence to reach the dog, ie. a child wanting to pet the dogs, and to provide a better barrier to the outside for the dogs.

unfortunately there are stupid people everywhere, and pits have become a "status" symbol for some, i guess because they dont have any self worth of thier own.

Thank you thank you thank you.... you get it.

I have ment soo many of these dogs that are fighting breeds that are nothing but big hams, soo loving and so adorable. But what gets me is some people dont understand how powerful they really are. When I was doing Agility with my Shiba, her best bud was a Dobe. He would cry and whine and get all excited when we would come in. Her other bud was an American Staff (not to be confused with a pit bull, look similar but are not) Same thing, lil powerfull brick on legs but a complete baby, soo sweet and cute. But that can change at any moment, and they can be fully loaded automatic weapons. These owners got it too. Now on the other hand there is a guy at the DZ who has 2 Rotties, and these dogs are showing signs of agression, and territorialness (made that one up :ph34r:). I have had multiple run ins with these dogs. It makes me very angry.

Thank you again for understanding....and being responsible.

I have 2 dogs, Shiba and a Husky. I am very cautious with them, though the Shiba is small, she could take down a child, and the husky, yea he is a big lovable moose, but if he ever snapped, he is big enough to take down an adult. I dont live parinoid, but I do make sure they are not put in a situation where they may become protecitve, or where they can do harm. They are both wonderful sweet dogs, love kids and people. But they are dogs none the less.

This is a very rough subject for me, I am a huge dog/animal lover, but people with the lack of responsiblity make it so much harder for the rest of us who are responsible. I worked at a Human Society for awhile, both taking care of the kennel, and doing evaulations on incoming dogs, I have seen a lot, and heard alot. Makes me sad.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I JUST returned from a medical call where one bit a lady on her Left hand, Right hand, and the back of her Right arm. On her left hand her pinky finger was missing from the knuckle. She had about 8 dogs that she "rescued" from the hurricanes living with her in a house trailer. The dogs got into a fight, and when she went to break them up the Pitbull turned on her and her husband, he got bit on the hand. >:(>:(>:(

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

yes, there is the danger posibility. we also have a border collie, and when all three get excited, they can fight with each other. diving between them to break it up, i have gotten cut pretty bad.

yeah, we know that boxers and breeds alike have i guess what you call "lockjaw" where you litterally can not get them to release, without kocking them sensless. we love out dogs, and we love how people like to play with them...but only under the correct situations. it is very rewarding to have the dogs give love to people, but the flip side has to be prevented.

boy, two rotties...that could be a serious problem if they get agressive.

forgot to mention that when i was younger i was a paperboy, and used to get chased all the time by the dogs. used a freon powered air horn (used on boats) to scare the dogs off, and peddled like hell at the same time.

There was a pitbull attack here too>:(

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=534e4197-0abe-421a-01f4-115f2522d7ac&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

AURORA - Ten-year-old Gregg Jones remains at Children's Hospital where he was rushed in critical condition Wednesday after he was attacked by three pit bulls in his own backyard.

Jones' family has asked Children's Hospital not to update the media on his condition.

Meanwhile, the Aurora Police Department has released the 911 recordings of witnesses calling for help. "There's three dogs attacking a small kid," a breathless neighbor tells the dispatch operator. "There's three pit bulls, there's three big dogs attacking him.hurry, hurry, hurry."

Screams, presumably from other terrified neighbors, can be heard in the background as well as the sound of barking dogs.

Police say the dogs attacked Jones when he hopped a fence into his backyard after coming home from school. He was going around the back because the front door to his house near East Asbury and Naples Court was locked, police said.

The dogs mauled the boy's head, face, throat arms and legs. Neighbors used sticks and a baseball bat to get the dogs away from the fourth grader after hearing his screams.

"He was just on the ground and they were attacking him," said witness Jerrome Millard. "One dog had him by his legs. The other one had him by his arms. The other one had his neck."

When police arrived, the dogs became aggressive toward the officers. Officers shot one of the dogs as it tried to run away. That dog was taken to a veterinary hospital and euthanized. The two other dogs are in the custody of Aurora's animal control unit. Police also took two 7-month-old puppies from the house. They said one was a purebred pit bull and the other was a pit bull/chow mix.

The euthanized dog was licensed in Aurora. The other two were staying at the home because of Denver's ban, according to a Denver Post report.

Authorities say that Jones' mother was cited in 2003 for having four dogs at the house. They were not pit bulls. But city rules limit each homeowner to three adult dogs of any breed and up to one litter of puppies under four months.

Aurora recently passed its own pit bull ban that allows dogs currently living in the city to remain in their homes as long as owners meet certain criteria. The new rules require owners to get a special license for $200, carry $100,000 in liability insurance and have warning signs on their property. Owners have until Jan. 31, 2006 to comply with the new rules. Violators can be fined up to $700.

The council also voted to ban any new pit bulls from being brought into Aurora.

In addition to Aurora, pit bull ordinances are in effect in Denver, Commerce City, Castle Rock, Wiggins, Wellington and Fort Lupton.

Because of the attack, there was a story about how to protect yourself from dog attacks.

http://9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=5ed1534a-0abe-421a-009d-3e41f758605c&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

Veterinarian Laurie Thornton has three recommendations. If a dog approaches you, you should be still. "Be a post," she says. "Don't scream, don't run. Just put your hands up under your jaw and be very still. A large number of dogs will just approach, sniff, and walk away."

Thornton says when a dog knocks you to the ground, you should also be still.

"Lie very still with (your) legs together. Put (your) arms up along the side of (your) head to protect the head and face."

IMO, I'm not sure doing the above would help you much. But what do I know?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Sheriff Keith Nygron, McHenry County.

Man when i was 10 i had to go see him when he was a Crystal Lake cop, some kid said me and my brother took his candy money, what a bunch of crap. Turns out the kid had the dam money. Nygron was a big man when i was 10 still think he is a jerk off.

The dog attacks suck bigtime.

my greyhound was mauled by a pitbull and if he wasn't wearing a winter coat I would lost him, without question. Omar is 80- pounds of muscle and this pitbull had him around the throat and was shaking him like a rag doll. It all happened so quickly, even when I got in between the dogs the pit got around me in a sec and I literally had to punch it repeatedly till he let go. Owner did NOT have a harness or muzzle, which is required where I live for a handful of breeds. *shaking head* he has not been the same since with other animals, even little dogs make him caitious. >:(>:(

A coworker had a Rotweiler. We would give him flak from time to time about having a vicious dog. He would assure us his dog was raised better and very well trained. One day he at work he told us the day before he had to beat his dog nearly to death with a baseball bat becouse it was killing the neighbor's dog. He then had the animal euthanized at the vet's.

Another good reason to own a decent firearm and have it handy.

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs. When I see a pit-bull, tied to a stake with about 30' of log-chain, I know what that's about! I've known folks with pit-bulls, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. that thought they were lap-dogs and would love you to death before they'd bite. I don't believe, these dogs are mean and nasty, by nature but are mean by their raising. I've seen mean cocker spaniels and mean horses, for that matter. It was the owner. Maybe, I'm naieve!?

Chuck

Arguing Nature versus Nurture at this point is rather moot.... The dogs cannt share the blame because they're only doing what nature has intended.... so the majority of the blame must fall to the owner/keeper, who, one would imagine, is more intehigent... and should take the responsability to control the dogs in their care.

Just my €0.02.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Dogs don't have to be mean to attack. They're animals. Sometimes something you wouldn't expect scares tha shit out of them and they react by attacking. It's a chance with all dogs trained or not. If you have a breed that is very powerful and viscious when it attacks, you especially have to be cognizant of this fact and take the appropriate precautions.

so the majority of the blame must fall to the owner/keeper, who, one would imagine, is more intehigent... and should take the responsability to control the dogs in their care

And with this I agree. When you choose a dog or any pet for that matter you need to fully understand what you are getting. Not all breeds are alike, nor are all standards 100% to what they are. What I mean is not all rotties are mean, and not all goldens are sweet.

A pet owner is responsible for the well being of there dog, subsiquently can have an impact on its behaivour, but all things beyond they are responsible for the dogs actions. Most of the "fighting" or "agressive" dog breeds are bred to be strong and powerful. If they are set off they can kill. It is the responsibility of the owner to respect this as well as keep the animal from causing harm to others.

Case in point, the rottie at my DZ, when the dog first showed up at the DZ it was so sweet, my two would play with it all the time. She was tied up to a tree and mine to my trailer (note: using harness and not collars and only with me there). The leashes would inter mix and they would romp and play....I would go and untangle as needed, and the rottie stood there no problem. And the play would start again.

One day, I noticed they dogs were not playing, and not only that but my two wouldnt go anywhere near the rottie. Which at this point was spending a whole lot of time tied to that tree with the owner gone. Well guess what....She did what she does best, became protective of "HER" property, mind you there are hand full of us all in a row there. She started barking, growling and lunging at people. To me, that owner is waiting for a lawsuit and/or a dead dog.

This is Owner error, he allowed the dog to become territorial, and by no means does he have any respect for this animal. One person was hurt, as she and I came around the corner to go to our trailer, this rottie came out of nowhere charging us growling and barking. we backed up slowely out of the way, knowing how long the chain was...she tripped and broke her wrist. If that were a kid, odds are the kid would have stood there screaming....worst thing you could do.

People do not respect that pure breeds are bred for a specific reason...and these certain breeds it is to protect, fight, and kill if need be. They are bred to be strong and snappy. I have no problems with people having them, so long as they fully understand the risks they are taking. Those dogs are like leaving a gun loaded. It could go off at any time if not handled properly.

Edited to add: Hell my husky is a rescue, had been picked up by animal contrl 6 times, owners got sick of him running away and jumping the 4' fence. So they told animal control to kill him. He got shipped to the no kill shelter I worked at and well...he is mine now. But same situation, owners got him because he was cute. And that he is, but he has a set of rules based on his breed I must follow. Huskys are runners period.

Yes long winded but understand all things said and done, ownders and breeders, yes breeders, are responsible for the proper education and training. Just like if you hit someone with a car, i think you should be charged accordingly if your dog attacks someone, especially children.

\stepping off soapbox.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I simply have to disagree.

It's the dogs not the owners attacking and killing or injuring children & adults.

I'm not sure if you've ever owned/raised a working breed dog. They are NOT for inexperienced dog owners. They require extremely firm and consistent discipline and need to always understand their place in the "pack" (i.e. human family). All these dogs are highly intelligent, energetic and quite territorial.

We got a doberman when I was 11. My dad was very experienced with dogs. I remember when he was a young puppy and he'd jump up to put his paws on my knees. I thought it was adorable, but my dad told me I was NEVER to allow him to do that. As he explained, it's cute now, but when he's 80 pounds of solid muscle, those paws are gonna reach my chest, or anyone else he wants to greet. The same theories applied to walking on a leash (never allowed to pull), feeding (only approached the bowl when told), etc. Training and habits must be formed during puppyhood, not at 6 months to a year old when they're big. Too many ignorant owners let puppies do anything they want, then try to set rules when they're a year old and out of control. It's not going to work. A lot of these breeds, during their first couple of years will attempt to move up in the "pack". They'll test the waters to see if a growl will get someone to back down. An owner who steps back or becomes timid will have a problem. Any show of dominance from these breeds must be dealt with firmly and immediately. They can't be allowed to think there is any room for negotiation.

Unfortunately, many people that buy these dogs don't have any clue about training, raising them and correct/fair discipline. As someone else posted, it's a status symbol for many.

My doberman lived to be 13.5 years old. He was well trained, affection to a fault and never showed any unwarranted aggression. He was truly one of the most loving and affection animals I've ever known.

Yes, it's the owners fault when their dogs are barely controlled, and the breeders that churn out puppy after puppy.

Fully agree. We got our Dobe(a red bitch) when she was around 2-3y.o, so never got to see her or train her as a pup.. She was very chilled, great nature, so we think that she was socialised well, when younger...... She was great on and off the lead. she never disappointed. fantastic dog, we loved her to bits.... BUt would never, ever have dreampt of leaving her alone with my sisters kids.
She lived to around 12-13 too - R.I.P Amber

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs. When I see a pit-bull, tied to a stake with about 30' of log-chain, I know what that's about! I've known folks with pit-bulls, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. that thought they were lap-dogs and would love you to death before they'd bite. I don't believe, these dogs are mean and nasty, by nature but are mean by their raising. I've seen mean cocker spaniels and mean horses, for that matter. It was the owner. Maybe, I'm naieve!?

I don't know, I used to think that way. That it's how the dog was raised, not it's breeding. I raised/trained/raced sleddogs for several years. You don't have to teach the dog to run, it's bred into them...it's what they do. IMO it's that way with the aggressive breeds. Not that good training can't mellow them out and help in control, but the aggression is still there and must be considered.
SmugMug

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs. I've known folks with pit-bulls, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. that thought they were lap-dogs and would love you to death before they'd bite.

I think you have a valid point with regard to owners. That said, the pit that mauled my greyhound was a sweetheart when it came to people, it was only around other dogs that his instincts swam to the surface. That kind of territoriality (word?) on the street NOBODY needs.

"Those who are not familiar Pit Bulls have jaws that will lock shut, allowing them to shread the hell ouf of who ever they are attacking. "

It is ignorance like this that continues to perpetuate the stereotype that Pit Bulls are "killing machines." No breed of dog is physiologically capable of locking their jaw. If you spoke with any vet before making such a statement, you would realize it's absurdity.

Like children, the way a dog will behave as an adult is a combination of nature and nurture. A dog of any breed who has been abused or neglected as well as a dog who has been trained or encouraged to behave viciously is going to behave in a very different manner than a dog who has been raised with the appropriate amount of discipline and love.

Pit Bulls were originally bred as fighting dogs. They fought bulls, bears and other dogs. During this training, they were also bred NOT to bite any human, be it the opposing dog's handler who had the right to inspect each dog prior to a fight or an individual breaking up the fight. They were NOT bred as protection or patrol dogs.

As a result of this original breeding, Pit Bulls can be dog aggressive and any responsible Pit Bull owner is aware of and deals with this in their own way. Those who don't should be punished just as a parent who knows their child likes to play with fire and gives him a lighter anyway should be punished when that child burns down the neighbors house.

In the case of Pit Bulls biting humans, know that there is usually a back-story that the media does not expound upon. It is more sensational to say "Family Pet Mauls Child" than to say "Neglected dog kept on a 6 foot chain in the backyard for three years because family didn't have time for it with new baby bites child who repeatedly poked it in the face with a stick while said child was left alone in the years unsupervised."

While it is true that the number of fatal bites is greater among large powerful breed breeds, data from CDC studies show that small dogs such as dachshunds, cocker spaniels and even a Yorkshire terrier have killed humans. In Los Angeles last year, a Pomeranian caused fatal injuries to a 6-week-old baby in her crib. "Bites by Chihuahuas are probably as numerous as bites by German shepherds," says Bonnie Beaver, executive director of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists at Texas A&M University.

It makes me sick when I hear stories of parents telling their children never to pet "that kind" of dog when what they should be teaching them is to never approach any strange dog, ask the owner of a dog on a leash whether you can pet it, etc. ... these things are common sense. Much of society seems to accept this, but what if that same parent was overheard telling their child instead of "don't talk to strangers," "don't talk to that kind of person" (referring to a certain race or ethnicity). Why is bigotry OK when we refer to animals that we created? Why is prejudice OK when we are referring to a breed with the word AMERICAN in it's name?

During WWI, an American Pit Bull Terrier named Stubby was the wars most outstanding canine soldier. He earned the rank of sergeant and a medal for warning of a gas attack. Teddy Roosevelt, Helen Keller, Thomas Edison, Sir Walter Scott, and Fred Astaire all owned APBTs.

I have no problem with saying that both the dogs and owner's of the dogs in this case should be held accountable, but to make this a "Pitbull" issue is just wrong. I would be surprised to learn that the dogs were even UKC / ADBA registered purebred Pit Bulls, but more likely some sort of a mix commonly referred to as a "pit bull."

I bet if it had been a Golden Retriever that had done this damage, the headline would have simply said "dog" instead of the breed and that there would be no commentary of "locking jaws" and breeds with" a "tendency to attack." In a seven year study ranking the likelihood of 100 different dog breeds to bite a person, the APBT ranked 96th, more than 50 places behind a Golden Retriever.

Something to think about !
"People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But, the self is not something that one finds. It is something that one creates"- Thomas Szasz

In a seven year study ranking the likelihood of 100 different dog breeds to bite a person, the APBT ranked 96th, more than 50 places behind a Golden Retriever.

Not that I disagree with alot of what you said in your post, but unless you can supply some kind of proof to that statement, I call bullshit.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

When you get a puppy, you get potential. It becomes what you put into it, and the breeding does have a factor as to what characteristics you can draw out and enhance.

I've met many pit bulls that were very sweet, but they are capable of inflicting terrible damage. I believe the problem with many pit bulls comes from some types of people that are drawn to them.

They are definitely a breed to be raised with care and require hightened responsibility.