eeneR

Pitbull Attacks 6....Why cant people understand?

Here are some other demographics for you to look at. http://www.homegain.com/local_real_estate/IL/carpentersville.html?entryid=2811

Looks pretty good on paper but I know from first hand experience that you wouldn't want to live in most of C-ville. I would like to see pictures of the neighboor hood where this happened. I would put money that it is not the nice white picket fence area that looks like in the chart. I could be wrong but I haven't seen these attacks anywhere else than in a Ghetto area. well 98% anyways

Um a mean yearly salary difference between $50g and $80g is pretty big, average home price is almost double of c-ville ;)

Oh here ya go ;) crime statistics http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/snapshots/26327.html
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Adding one more thing, This Is the same crime and stats on the town I live in. It is considered one of the snotty towns in the chicago burbs, i just managed to find an apartment here that took 2 dogs.

Anyway...the crime rate is HIGHER here then it is in Cary.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I can tell you if you call an amstaff a pit bull the owner might bit you :D ***

I feel the need for just a little bit more education. The American Pit Bull is the same breed as the American Staffi. The AKC would not allow the American Pit Bull as a recognized breed into their club unless the name was changed. Seems a few members were offended by the "Pit Bull" reputation and thought by renaming it people would think it was a different breed. Guess their plan worked! The American Pit Bull was, however, recognized by the UKC. They are same breed and rose by any other name is still a rose.

I own a staffi, and its amazing how many people calm down when you call her a staffi and how many people get stiff when you call her a Pit. Pit, Staffi...Gracie. Best dog I've every owned. I have had three labs, one golden, a heeler/lab mix, Springer Spaniels, and german Shephards. Each have their own unique training needs. A responsible owner researches what those needs are and owes it to the dog to make sure they get it. Next time you take a trip to the SPCA, notice how many cute lab mixes there are. Then ask yourself why.

As a Pit Owner it is my responsiblity to make sure that Gracie is trained correctly so that she is a pleasure to be around when we take her in public. It is also our responsiblity to protect her from the people that are miseducated by the media.

No dog should ever be left alone with small children (their high pitch squeals sound just like an injured animal)

All owners have the responsiblity to know their breed, the needs of that breed, and deliver. Your dog is depending on you to do this.

Unfortunately owning a dog is like having children. Any idiot can have one, and they don't come with training manuals.

I can tell you if you call an amstaff a pit bull the owner might bit you

I feel the need for just a little bit more education. The American Pit Bull is the same breed as the American Staffi. The AKC would not allow the American Pit Bull as a recognized breed into their club unless the name was changed. Seems a few members were offended by the "Pit Bull" reputation and thought by renaming it people would think it was a different breed. Guess their plan worked! The American Pit Bull was, however, recognized by the UKC. They are same breed and rose by any other name is still a rose.

I was being sarcastic...I am fully aware they are the same, however a few of the AmStaff owndes do not want the pit bull rep...so they get uppity with ya if you dare call the dog a pit...that was all my statement was ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I thought this was pretty interesting for anybody that cares to expand there views as to why dogs are aggressive.

http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

That is definatly an interesting artical, but this line sums up the reality..

Any dog, regardless of breed, is only as dangerous as his/her owner allows it to be.

*DING*DING*DING* ;)
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Adding one more thing, This Is the same crime and stats on the town I live in. It is considered one of the snotty towns in the chicago burbs, i just managed to find an apartment here that took 2 dogs.

Anyway...the crime rate is HIGHER here then it is in Cary.

Ha! My town is so snooty it isn't even mentioned on lists like that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Any dog, regardless of breed, is only as dangerous as his/her owner allows it to be.

Yeah....but I can be negligent in the training of my Cairn Terrier without putting my neighbors at risk. There's definitely a continuum of "potential danger posed to a community," and some dogs pose very, very little even when treated badly themselves. Others pose a much greater risk.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I thought this was pretty interesting for anybody that cares to expand there views as to why dogs are aggressive.

http://www.fataldogattacks.com/

That is definatly an interesting artical, but this line sums up the reality..

*DING*DING*DING* ;)

That is exactly the point I am trying to make :D:)http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/snapshots/35417.html That's pretty close. Most of Palatine is a great area but up towards the north end of it there are some dicy areas, Not quit (Ghetto) but close. Wish I could find some Pics of that area where the attack happened that would clear things up real quick! :)

***Glory Favors the Bold***

Why is it OK to say that some neighborhoods are more likely to produce dangerous dogs, but not OK to say that some dogs are more likely, given the same treatment, to become dangerous?

I'll just bet there are many nice dogs in those neighborhoods.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Yeah....but I can be negligent in the training of my Cairn Terrier without putting my neighbors at risk. There's definitely a continuum of "potential danger posed to a community," and some dogs pose very, very little even when treated badly themselves. Others pose a much greater risk.

linz

Right on.

I think you've defined the problem correctly. Some breeds are more powerful so when one of those animals makes a mistake, the damage is more severe.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Why is it OK to say that some neighborhoods are more likely to produce dangerous dogs, but not OK to say that some dogs are more likely, given the same treatment, to become dangerous?

I'll just bet there are many nice dogs in those neighborhoods.

Wendy W.

Because Drug dealers, Gang Bangers, and the such want a "dangerous" dog and don't train them right and abuse them. Why is there more crime in these areas? because of those same people. Read Previous article.

I think he's trying to move this to the speaker's corner. [:/]

Ok I'm done! I'm just trying to make the point that a breed in and of itself is not prone to just attack for no reason. Yes when a larger dog with more power attacks there is obviously more damage. But I think it is silly to restrict these breeds to resposible people that will raise and train them properly! I think if you were to look into the areas and the type of people that have owned these dogs that attack, you would find an overwhelming trend. I have not seen any evedince that a dog breed is more aggressive than another the larger dogs just cause more damage. Ok done take it for what it's worth. Not trying to argue just edumicate about a subject I think is blown way out of proportion. :)

I think you've defined the problem correctly. Some breeds are more powerful so when one of those animals makes a mistake, the damage is more severe.

Some dogs are more prone to violence. Period. I'm not saying all pits are bad. And obviously, a prudent owner can minimize the risk. But they, and similar breeds, have been branded for a reason.

They do not have the same chance of going berserk on your neighbors as say, a Golden Retriever... They have a greater chance. Period.

It's called Evolution in the hands of human beings.

-We took chickens and made them unable to fly due to the excessively large breasts we wished to breed them for.

-Cattle does no look at all the same as when we first started breeding it for meat.

-It is said that Calcium in Broccoli is down to less then 50% of what it was in 1975 due to it's being bred for appearance (larger, greener) over the years, rather then it's nutritional content.

Is it so hard to beleive/accept that the dogs which were bred to be violent... are?

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Because Drug dealers, Gang Bangers, and the such want a "dangerous" dog....

Do you see how you sorta contradict yourself here? You say it's not the dog, it's the malicious owner... who wants a dangerous dog.

So what do they buy then? Not Chow-chows? How come?

Some dogs are more prone to violence. Period. I'm not saying all pits are bad. And obviously, a prudent owner can minimize the risk. But they, and similar breeds, have been branded for a reason.

They do not have the same chance of going berserk on your neighbors as say, a Golden Retriever... They have a greater chance. Period.

It's called Evolution in the hands of human beings.

-We took chickens and made them unable to fly due to the excessively large breasts we wished to breed them for.

-Cattle does no look at all the same as when we first started breeding it for meat.

-It is said that Calcium in Broccoli is down to less then 50% of what it was in 1975 due to it's being bred for appearance (larger, greener) over the years, rather then it's nutritional content.

Is it so hard to beleive/accept that the dogs which were bred to be violent... are?

Not at all. Typically the ones bred for violence are more powerful so I go back to my last statement...

"Some breeds are more powerful so when one of those animals makes a mistake, the damage is more severe."

I don't think that my statement is at odds with your opinion.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Sorry Ian,

For some reason, I thought your idea ended there... and that it was downplaying the natural tendencies of the animal, which are just as real as the physical characteristics they were bred to manifest.

I guess I read someone else's thought that no breed is PRONE to violence and combined it with your reply there.

Obviously, some breeds are more prone then others.

Nick

No problem. :)
The Nature vs Nuture argument will go on for a long time. I am one that believes both are factors in behaviour. Ignoring either Nature or Nuture in how an animal behaves just seems silly to me.

See we do agree :)

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs.

I simply have to disagree.

It's the dogs not the owners attacking and killing or injuring children & adults.

It's the owner fault 110%. I have a dog that would be considered a fighting breed: Akita. One I make sure that the fence surrounding the yard is secure enough to hold a 110lb Akita. I never walk her w/o a leash. I make sure she gets at least a 45 min walk a day and weekends take her to the dog park to socialize with other dogs. She's also a therapy dog and would never ever think to leave her unsupervised with kids. The bottom line is people have these types of dogs and havent the slighest idea the responsiblity, commitment or discipline these dogs need. In this case the owner should be strung up.

its all about how they are raised...

i have a pit bull...and let me tell you..she is the greatest dog in teh world....would never bite anyone...i trained her and raised her since a puppy to be a big tedy bear...and thats exactly what she is...

stories like this give pits a bad name...its assholes who raise them to be beasts..they are very capable of being wild animals if you let them get out of hand and dont train them stearnly....

when i say i have a pit bull people usually go "omg why they are so dangerous"

and that really fucking pisses me the fuck off...cuz its people like you that help spread the stereotype...

my dog has never been on a leash..ever..

adn you know what...shes never b itten anyone in 9 years...never had an incident with her and another dog..or person...and i have her around MANY dogs at the park in the fenced off dog run section...shes as gentle as a fly...adn trained so well that she understand full sentences...

"go downstairs..get my keys..and come right back"

she will do just that ^^

if i throw her toy...and tell her to stay...she will sit right there for HOURS untill i say GO..

its not pits that are dangerous...as my dog is a perfect example of that...its their owners that are dangerous...

also let me add that this article could have been about ANY breed of dog...however..if it was a german shepard who attacked 6...you never would have read it...cuz it never would have been printed...which pisses me off even more...
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead