eeneR

Pitbull Attacks 6....Why cant people understand?

OK, I may have gotten most of the point that time. But one question still remains: What dog are we talking about here? This entire thread has been about pit bulls but since there's no breed of dog called a Pit Bull, what dog are we maligning (or defending)?

I own one of the 'pit bull' breeds. When people ask what she is I tell them she is an American Staffordshire Terrier. They give me a blank look and say "Oh, wow, she looks just like a pit bull". Ya, no shit Sherlock

The APBT (American Pit Bull Terrier), the only recognized breed of 'pit bull' that actually has 'pit bull' in the name, is a pit bull.

The Bull Terrier (thats the one with the long nose) is in the PB family.

The Dogo Argentino is a PB.

The American Bulldog is a PB.

There are several other breeds I can list

Get the point?

So, if we're going to spearhead anti-dog legislation or make it harder to own one of these dangerous dog (thats sarcasm for you internet challenged ;)) then WHICH breed are we going to start with?

Or are we just gonna go after any muscular, thick necked, powerful looking dog? Mastiffs are pretty scary and powerful looking. And theyve been fought in the pits in the past, so I guess theyre pit bulls too.

This poist isnt directed at you eeneR. Its just to stimulate some thought, research, or just to make people go 'Hmmm".

So, if we're going to spearhead anti-dog legislation or make it harder to own one of these dangerous dog (thats sarcasm for you internet challenged ) then WHICH breed are we going to start with?

There are seventeen breeds on the banned list including American Bulldogs in Aurora,CO. I'm trying to find the whole list, but this is definately not a PB ban it's a 17 breed ban.
Fly it like you stole it!

Recently I read a story about several shelters having huge influxes of staffies, which was a coincidence since any rescued pitbulls would have been killed.

Wish I could remember which paper I read that in.....thats gonna bug me all day..

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.

So, if we're going to spearhead anti-dog legislation or make it harder to own one of these dangerous dog (thats sarcasm for you internet challenged ) then WHICH breed are we going to start with?

[sarcasm] anything with teeth!~[/sarcasm]

Even better, the humans who think that the dogs are fuzzy little toys, :ph34r:. Lets exterminate them! as they are truly a big problem....:D

In general people need a better understanding of what each breed is capable of. I know of a shit load of breeders that make people go thru hoops to get a dog, some people get pissed. They leave with nothing. Good. That tells me they have no idea what they are getting themselves into. A lot of these breeds have been mentioned, hell both of mine are known to snap. I have a Shiba Inu and a Husky. You have no idea how many times I have to explain that Shibas, though great dogs once well trained, are not like that right out of the box. I spent YEARS training her, and she still is a little bitch :D but has never snapped at a human. She has at dogs, but never humans. I will never become complacent about this. I wish more people would see that. I also would never trade my dogs for anything, would I get another Shiba or Husky? Hell yes, the training though hard, was soo challenging and rewarding.

But to also add something, had this been ANY OTHER BREED, I WOULD HAVE STILL POSTED. I hate seeing owners of any dogs allow there pets to be out of control. I could go on and on with all the dogs that could have easily done this...and really it is not limited to the "pit" breeds, but all of them. Just like humans...sometimes too much shit makes ya snap! :o

In all honesty I hope that this might possibly make someone actually do the reseach on a breed before going to Pets~R~US and getting a dog. And for that matter, im going to add here...DO NOT GET DOGS FROM PET STORES!!!!! Please go to a breeder or rescue [:/] Yes breeders are sometimes a bit more expensive, but you know what, most of them take the time to carefully breed and socialize these puppies right from the get go...but that is for another thread. A dog is not just a dog, each breed has its own specific needs to be attended too. There are so many kinds out there, and there is probably one for each indivitual that truly is dog material.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

List of banned breeds:

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
American Bulldog
dogo argentino
canary dog
presa mallorquin
tosa inu
cane corso
fila brasilerio
Any mixed breed dog that bears the majority of physical characteristics as the ‘standard’ for any of the above named breeds.

Ok, I know that isn't 17, but their document say 17 breeds, but it was crazy hard to find the list of 10 that I did.:S
Fly it like you stole it!

List of banned breeds:

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
American Bulldog
dogo argentino
canary dog
presa mallorquin
tosa inu
cane corso
fila brasilerio
Any mixed breed dog that bears the majority of physical characteristics as the ‘standard’ for any of the above named breeds.

Ok, I know that isn't 17, but their document say 17 breeds, but it was crazy hard to find the list of 10 that I did.:S

Hmmm, theyre ALL 'pit bulls'. Must be the scariest dog on the planet! Thank God Colorado is SAFE!

I LOVE that last line about 'anything that looks like one...'

http://www.realpitbull.com/
http://www.pbrc.net/home.html
http://www.pitbullregistry.com/

Not according to a few of these sites.....there are more....Technically there is a specific breed. I understand what you mean by a grouping as a pit bull ie dogs bred for dog on dog fights...but this is in addition to...

There is no doubt that people confuse the breeds...There are alot alike, but moreso it is temperment that people need to deal with on a situation by situation basis. An agressive dog is an agressive dog...period.

Opps fixed links! :D:$
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs. When I see a pit-bull, tied to a stake with about 30' of log-chain, I know what that's about! I've known folks with pit-bulls, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. that thought they were lap-dogs and would love you to death before they'd bite. I don't believe, these dogs are mean and nasty, by nature but are mean by their raising. I've seen mean cocker spaniels and mean horses, for that matter. It was the owner. Maybe, I'm naieve!? ***

I would have agree with you. Every incident I ever hear about is in a questionable neighboorhood. (Ghetto) These people can't even take care of there families let alone a pet. I strongly feel that is the fault of the owners and that these pets are mentally and probably physically abused. Hince the aggression. If you put a person in the same situation they will tend to be aggressive also. I have know many well taken care of pits, rots, sheperds (which I think is stupid they are on the list of aggresive dogs) aggressive and protective are two diff. things. Hell I think fucking Chiwawas are more aggressive and mean tempered than any of the above but they can only bite a toe. An animal is not born aggressive it learns the behavior just like everything else in the world..... Granted you should take caution if you have a large dog that is just commom sense. But this bullshit about a dogs attacking for no reason just for the hell of it is BULLSHIT!!! It is a learned reaction and if this fucking scumbag people would stop buying these dogs for the purpose of guarding and train them right if that is what they want them for then none of this nonsense would be going on. >:(

***Glory Favors the Bold***

That's my neighborhood. It's a status thing to have a mean dog, and of course they're mostly pit bulls. My neighbor kicks his PB and it isn't always leashed/contained. I know he's fought his dog against other dogs before. There are also a few strays that run around and avoid capture...

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Obviously, it's the owners, not the dogs. When I see a pit-bull, tied to a stake with about 30' of log-chain, I know what that's about! I've known folks with pit-bulls, Rotweillers, Dobermans, etc. that thought they were lap-dogs and would love you to death before they'd bite. I don't believe, these dogs are mean and nasty, by nature but are mean by their raising. I've seen mean cocker spaniels and mean horses, for that matter. It was the owner. Maybe, I'm naieve!? ***

I would have agree with you. Every incident I ever hear about is in a questionable neighboorhood. (Ghetto) These people can't even take care of there families let alone a pet. I strongly feel that is the fault of the owners and that these pets are mentally and probably physically abused. Hince the aggression. If you put a person in the same situation they will tend to be aggressive also. I have know many well taken care of pits, rots, sheperds (which I think is stupid they are on the list of aggresive dogs) aggressive and protective are two diff. things. Hell I think fucking Chiwawas are more aggressive and mean tempered than any of the above but they can only bite a toe. An animal is not born aggressive it learns the behavior just like everything else in the world..... Granted you should take caution if you have a large dog that is just commom sense. But this bullshit about a dogs attacking for no reason just for the hell of it is BULLSHIT!!! It is a learned reaction and if this fucking scumbag people would stop buying these dogs for the purpose of guarding and train them right if that is what they want them for then none of this nonsense would be going on. >:(

I realy do, have a hard time believing otherwise. For example. I have seen as many as 13-horses on less than an acre of land, sharing one large round-bale of hay. Mornings and evenings, they got their separate ration of hay and grain in separate stalls. I watched those horses, during the day, biting and kicking each other... afraid another horse might get more hay. Individually, those horses were nervous and fearful of the slightest thing. They would bite their owners, kick and the like. I have seen situations where 3-horses, shared a large round-bale, had 5 or more acres to run on and they got along great and were easy going and gentle. I have to agree. Environment and owner in-put has a lot to do with how 'pets' respond. You are so right, about chihuahuas being nasty:D as well as manchesters and some other small breeds. We don't always see, how those 'pets' are handled by their owners.

Chuck

That's my neighborhood. It's a status thing to have a mean dog, and of course they're mostly pit bulls. My neighbor kicks his PB and it isn't always leashed/contained. I know he's fought his dog against other dogs before. There are also a few strays that run around and avoid capture...

I hope the dog takes the guys leg off someday! But of course that will just lead to more media hype about how mean pitbulls are. They never report about the conditions the dog was kept and treated.:( People need to understand what the fuck they are talking about before they talk.

I totally agree. Dogs are descendants of wolves. They want to be in a pack. In a wolf pack hierarcy keeps control and sets rank among pack members. The same for a dog living among humans. I currently own a chow-chow. His name is buddyboy and to my wife and myself he is wonderful but we both know where his roots come from. Buddy and I guess most chows are stubborn and bull headed. If we try to set down and brush him he will only tolerate it for a few second then he will growl and walk off. We do most of his brushing while one of us feeds him a popsicle. Then he doesn't mind. But he is very obedient when I take on walks or correct him on other things. I knew a couple whos three year old son was killed by there chow. The chow had been around the kid since the kid was born. One day the chow and kid and baby sitter were in the back yard. The kid had been the dog and playing with it for sometime when the kid walk up beside the dog and laid on it and gave it a hug when all of a sudden the dog attacked the kid. I feel the kid may have hurt the dog and scared it when he laid down on it and the dog did what came natural. Our chow will growl at you if you accidently step on his foot.
Dogs aren't cute fuzzy playthings. They are animals with the ability to hurt you. But they can be very comforting friends and protectors. Buddy has alerted us on several occasions when he has heard a strange noise. He comes into the bed room and makes a grunting growl and then leads us to where heard the noise. One night it was nothing more than my wives belt had fallen off a towel rack in the bathroom. He hasn't had any type of training other than teaching him his place in our pack. Most dogs will naturally try to protect its pack members. Study up a little about wolves and you will get an understanding about your dog.

Edited to add pic of Buddyboy.

I hope the dog takes the guys leg off someday! But of course that will just lead to more media hype about how mean pitbulls are. They never report about the conditions the dog was kept and treated. People need to understand what the fuck they are talking about before they talk.

Two things. 1) You're assuming all dogs are born the same. That's just not true. Even people are born with different temperments....why would you assume that dogs aren't? Some dogs are just naturally more aggressive than others, and some of those are physically capable of doing great harm (like any of the Pit Bull breeds vs. Lhasa Apso...who is also a relatively aggressive dog). When these dogs end up with people who do not respect their capabilities or care that they might hurt others, then it's a set-up for trouble.

2) Regardless of *why* the dogs do the things they do, it still happens far too frequently. Since many, many people make very foolish choices, then sometimes we as a society have to step in. I don't care if it's not the dog's fault that he's aggressive. I DO care when a child is mauled by someone's dog...any dog. When there are breeds that are more likely to kill or critically injure someone's child, and history has shown us that many pet owners will not be responsible to keep their dogs from attacking people, then I think we have a duty to control who has access to these animals and where they are allowed to be.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I hope the dog takes the guys leg off someday! But of course that will just lead to more media hype about how mean pitbulls are. They never report about the conditions the dog was kept and treated. People need to understand what the fuck they are talking about before they talk.

Two things. 1) You're assuming all dogs are born the same. That's just not true. Even people are born with different temperments....why would you assume that dogs aren't? Some dogs are just naturally more aggressive than others, and some of those are physically capable of doing great harm (like any of the Pit Bull breeds vs. Lhasa Apso...who is also a relatively aggressive dog). When these dogs end up with people who do not respect their capabilities or care that they might hurt others, then it's a set-up for trouble.

2) Regardless of *why* the dogs do the things they do, it still happens far too frequently. Since many, many people make very foolish choices, then sometimes we as a society have to step in. I don't care if it's not the dog's fault that he's aggressive. I DO care when a child is mauled by someone's dog...any dog. When there are breeds that are more likely to kill or critically injure someone's child, and history has shown us that many pet owners will not be responsible to keep their dogs from attacking people, then I think we have a duty to control who has access to these animals and where they are allowed to be.

linz

Well ok I agree about protecting people, But I'm saying that the situation the dog is in will perpetuate it's nature to protect itself. Just like all creatures will if treated badly for an etended period. Kill or be killed. I'm just saying it is not all the dogs fault, like the media plays it off to be or what people think. I think most if not all of the blame lies in the owners not the dogs. It is not common for any creature to be born and just have an urge to go around attacking people for absolutley no reason. I'm sure there are very few exceptions (rabies, a bear that went mad or a dog I guess for that matter) It is ridiculous to tag a breed for the actions of a few. I guess if we were to do that we should think that all Black people are born criminals and have an inherent risk to be so. Since most of the jail population is made up of blacks.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/jailrair.htm Which by the way is just stupid :S:P;)

sheriff's deputies arrived and the dogs turned on them. The deputies opened fire and killed all three.

So, the dogs continued to attack and hurt people until someone with a gun showed up, and used said gun to dispatch the problem.

No one should be allowed to own guns - they're dangerous!

Guns are made for only one purpose - to kill, and killing is bad.

So, the dogs continued to attack and hurt people until someone with a gun showed up, and used said gun to dispatch the problem.

I got the exact opposite from that. That they were very unfortunate people because nobody in the neighborhood brought their gun out to end it (or didnt HAVE guns?? that would be crazy; unfathomable). That is my recommendation to that neighborhood, somebody bringing their gun out is the only thing that would've stopped them sooner. Or a multitude of animal control officers arriving instantaneously.

edited to say: "Guns are good, guns are our friends."
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I got the exact opposite from that. That they were very unfortunate people because nobody in the neighborhood brought their gun out to end it (or didnt HAVE guns?? that would be crazy; unfathomable). That is my recommendation to that neighborhood, somebody bringing their gun out is the only thing that would've stopped them sooner. Or a multitude of animal control officers arriving instantaneously.

I think that the first statment was made with a hint of Sarcasm. :P;)

Shit everybody probably had a gun but they didn't want the PoePoe to take them away for illegal firearms :|

Guns are for sissies.

The real tragedy in this, is that nobody there was trained in the Ninja arts to be able to whoop those nasty dogs arses into the next world.

Too many people putting faith in firearms. Not enough people learning the path to inner peace.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I think that the first statment was made with a hint of Sarcasm. :P;)
Shit everybody probably had a gun but they didn't want the PoePoe to take them away for illegal firearms :|

Good point, I didnt anticipate the sarcasm, now I can see it having either of two meanings. If it had been my neighborhood I would have risked the firearms charge guessing that the neighbor who's child I just saved from the dogs wouldnt rat me out. Life/limb versus a charge that I might have a good chance of beating anyways...
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Here is some of the demographic of the city...not exactly what I would call a ghetto. :|

Cary
Population 23,768
Area in square miles 15
People per sq. mi. 1,561
Median Age 35
Median Family Income $81,010
Civilians 50%
Armed Forces <1%
Not in Labor Force 18%
Average Home Price $237,270

Rest of it here
http://www.homegain.com/local_real_estate/IL/cary.html

There are also this info from the Cary site based on 2000 cencus, which the total population has changed as it seems vs the other site.

INFORMATION REGARDING PERSONS
Race Distribution
- White 16,494
- Black or African American 63
- American Indian and Alaska Native 29
- Asian 220
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 4
- Some Other Race 294
- Two or More Races 115

INFORMATION - HOUSING UNITS

Owner Occupied Housing Units (Total = 4,966)
- 1 Unit, Detached 4,406
- 1 Unit, Attached 540
- 2 Units 7
- 3 or 4 Units 0
- 5 or More Units 12
- Mobile Home/Trailer 0
- Other 1
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

In cases like this... it really bothers me that they put the dogs down instead of the owners.

The dog got the owner too...lost a thumb :|
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Here are some other demographics for you to look at. http://www.homegain.com/local_real_estate/IL/carpentersville.html?entryid=2811

Looks pretty good on paper but I know from first hand experience that you wouldn't want to live in most of C-ville. I would like to see pictures of the neighboor hood where this happened. I would put money that it is not the nice white picket fence area that looks like in the chart. I could be wrong but I haven't seen these attacks anywhere else than in a Ghetto area. well 98% anyways