TomAiello

BASE in US National Parks: Got a minute to give us a hand?

I dundiddit.

"Fixed Object Jumping ("BASE" or "Backcountry Parachuting") Should be an "Authorized" or "Appropriate Use" of National Parks.

The purpose of the parks are to "conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations." (16 USC 1). Fixed Object Parachuting provides for the enjoyment of the unique features of the National Parks while having NO negative repercussions on the scenery and historical objects and wild life therein. This is therefore acceptable pursuant to the Statute.

Fixed Object Parachuting is not contrary to recreational enjoyment of the park, nor does it interfere with the atmosphere of peace or tranquility of the wilderness. It does not interfere with public use or administrative activities, and public safety is not endangered. This activity does not conflict with other uses of the park - there is little risk of crowding. It does not interfere with rock climbing, hang gliding, or other approved uses of the park, and typically occurs in the early morning hours when the weather and wind conditions are best, which avoids any possible interference with pedestrian or vehicle traffic.

It also can enhance the beauty of the park, as colorful and silent canopies accentuate the natural beauty of the parks to visitors. Furthermore, the only damage to park resources comes from the hiking and travel to exit points - said hiking being a normal and common activity of the park.

Fixed Object Jumping has occurred steadily on other government properties. Every year, Bridge Day attracts hundreds of jumpers and hundreds of thousands of spectators without negative impact on NPS land, while providing a substantial assistance to the local economy. While Bridge Day would still be a strong activity, a large number of jumpers would have the majority of the year and the entire National Park System to perform these jumps, resulting in a negligible - even statistically insignificant - increase in National Park visitorship.

Furthermore, the Bureau of Land Management allows Fixed Object Jumping on its land, and my research has revealed no published reports of negative impact to BLM lands as a result.

Finally, throughout Europe and Australia, Fixed Object Jumping has occurred without damage to the environment or resources. Norway's fjords have remained preserved, and Fixed Object Jumpers throughout the world have been drawn to Norway's cliffs, none of which have the beauty, splendor or support and regulatory infrastructure of NPS lands.

Little evidence is available to demonstrate any appreciable detriment to the National Parks from Fixed Object Jumping. Looking to Bridge Day, the BLM and worldwide, no detriment to the natural surroundings is apparent from this activity. There is no reason to suggest detriment will occur from Fixed Object Jumping throughout the NPS once this activity is approved as an appropriate use pursuant to 16 USC 1.

Fixed Object Jumping should be allowed on NPS lands."

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Here's the hang gliding & paragliding form letter. Just substitute BASE for hang gliding & paragliding or better yet, help out your hang gliding brothers by sending 2 seperate letters...one for BASE & one for Hang gliding/Paragliding. I'm sending the BASE one now.

Dear Mr. Fagan:

In response to the proposed 2006 NPS Management Policies, hang gliding and paragliding are fully in keeping with the NPS's goals and efforts for conserving park resources and values. These recreational activities have historically had no more - and often less - adverse impact than most traditionally-accepted activities like backpacking and hiking.

National parks are often the best or only terrain suitable for footlaunch powerless flight. Yet hang gliding and paragliding are prohibited unless a superintendent obtains a Special Use Regulation through a cumbersome process that often takes years and extensive park resources. This is a burden to the NPS, park managers, and the powerless flying community.

I urge the NPS to adopt a friendlier policy that does not require a Special Use Regulation before this low adverse impact form of recreation is allowed in a park. Powerless flight should be determined by the park manager and the hang gliding and paragliding community.

Sincerely,

Your Name & Address

Tom,

Would you mind if I quoted your post and re-posted it on my home DZ's forum? I think some people there would be interested in helping out.

Go for it. The more the merrier. You might also want to link to this thread, or the one in BASE, and/or copy some of the verbage that other people have come up with. LawRocket's words sound particularly good, in my opinion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com