SloStenRacing

What do you do to pay for the hobby?

I just recently got a low paying job and I realize that $14k a year aint gonna do **** for me if I want to actually get into this hobby. I was just wondering what kind of job or whatever you all have that provides enough money to enjoy jumping. I mean I could go somewhere once or twice a year on that but that's about it.

Most people that have thousands of jumps do it one of a few ways.

They either work at the DZ in some way on the weekends, they instruct, pack, do rigging work or similar.

If they don't do any of those, they're competitors that get paid for coaching others or fly video.

The other slight few have high paying jobs and can afford to spend thousands a year on skydiving.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I work part time at a bar, I pay for my rent, internet, food, and that's about it. I haven't bought clothes in months! But I think it's worth it (I don't know yet, I haven't jumped, but this is like sex, you know you gonna like it even without trying it):P
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

I just recently got a low paying job and I realize that $14k a year aint gonna do **** for me if I want to actually get into this hobby. I was just wondering what kind of job or whatever you all have that provides enough money to enjoy jumping. I mean I could go somewhere once or twice a year on that but that's about it.

Packing parachutes at a decent DZ will pay a lot more than $14k/year. It's hard work, but easy to learn. Once you've got it down it can pay as much as a dollar a minute, with the only limitation being number of customers.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was making just over 18k/yr when I got into the sport. It was rough going, but the longer I stayed on the job and stayed away from the trap of wife/child, hearth/home. This got a lot easier. Good luck, and find a better job.;)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Shooting video has never ever turned a profit for me. I came out last year not even covering my costs for a camera.

Then you're not shooting the "right" kind of videos.:D:P

It took a year to recoup the costs of my coach and tandem rating, so I fill your pain in that regards. I still haven't recouped the cost of my camera shooting videos, then again, I've never taken money for shooting a video.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Shit, I'm not the best looking guy on the planet so I don't think that one will work too well. But good idea.

@ tink - I was actually talking to a guy that works at the same place I do today and he must be a traveling salesman or some shit cause he was telling me about flying to hong kong, moscow, austrailia and south africa (there were more but those were the ones he told me about). That don't seem too bad. Get that kind of job, get paid good money, fly all over the world for free and basically jump on company time.

Also can anyone recommend any good DZ's preferably in the Central Illionois area (but all of Illinois works) and what is the average going rate for a jump in your area?

I went to college and got a degree in engineering... :P

My goal is to do a min of 200 this year, I hope that I'll get the chance to use my coach rating, and it would be nice to do some RW video flying (I don't expect to do tandem video... although I might start lurking once I have some more experience)

Some day I would like to get my AFF Instructor Rating. B|
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Try opening a drop zone. It worked for me. If you look at total investment, jumps only cost about three times as much as they used to. At least now I don't have any free time to waste with something like a job.

well i guess to do that, you need money first. ..

i was lucky last year, somehow managed to make 26k working part/full time for mickey mouse. but i see i gonna need a better job too, for my addiction.

hmmm, anyone know how i can get started on a career whoring myself out?
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720