skylord

Help with Bonehead Helmets

All,

I bought a Bonehead open face helmet awhile back, that had the instructions regarding how to cook the helmet in your oven and shape it to your head.

Well, I am really in a quandry here. I follow the instructions to the tee. I put it on, and heat up the oven to the 200 degrees they say, but my head gets sooooo hot that the sweat blinds me, or I get dizzy. Sometimes I pass out for a second or two, my cheek touches the oven rack and next thing you know I've got these burn marks on my face.

By the time I wake up, the helmet has cooled to the point that I can't shape it anymore so I have to try and do the process all over again. I'm not making any progress, are there any suggestions out there? I know this is an equipment issue, but I thought I'd post here for better exposure and a faster answer....

Bob Marks
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

You must have the old instructions; you shouldn't have to do this process more than once.

What you gotta do is put a pot holder on the oven rack. Than put your helmet in the oven with the left side down - don't let the helmet touch the potholder (this is important!). Next, place a heavy object (a ream of paper works well) on top of the right side of the helmet. This will keep pressure on both sides of the helmet while you're passed out and if placed correctly the potholder will keep you from permanently scarring your cheek.

Good luck!

AggieDave,

Thanks, and while the drinking I'm sure will help, I think water defeats the purpose since that would cool the helmet to the point I would have to repeat the entire exercise again. Plus I don't have a tub close to the oven. Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Bob
Bob Marks

"-when you leave the airplane its all wrong til it goes right, its a whole different mindset, this is why you have system redundancy." Mattaman

What if, since you don't have a tub close, you just put your head in a burlap sack then put the helmet on. Maybe that would help protect your face.

Not to mention giving him that "rugged, weathered look" ? :P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Have you tried the microwave? That might work better.

Silly, that is a dumb suggestion. Everyone knows that microwaves are to be used to dry hair (and occasionally wet poodles), but not to heat up helmets.

Bob, it may work better if you polish your helmet prior to heating it up.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

here's the link to the instructions on their website.

http://www.boneheadcomposites.com/baking.htm

MINDWARP
LINER BAKING INSTRUCTIONS
Thank-you for choosing the MINDWARP Open-Faced helmet.
Please read these steps carefully BEFORE fitting your new helmet.

The MINDWARP Basics
The liner is made up of three sections of a thermo-formable foam, which when heated will soften and can be molded during the cooling process.

Preheat oven to 200 Fahrenheit or 80 centigrade.

Place the helmet with liner, on a piece of cardboard, in the center of the oven. Make sure the helmet is not touching any sides of the oven.

TURN OFF THE OVEN

Leave the helmet in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the heat permeates the helmet making it more flexible.

Remove the helmet, AND THE CARDBOARD, and place the helmet on your head.

Using a towel or pot holders apply pressure at the ears, pushing the helmet down and towards the ears.

Hold the helmet in this position until the helmet cools and becomes less flexible. Approximately 10 minutes

REMOVE THE CARDBOARD FROM THE OVEN!

The procedure above can be repeated for a custom fit.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Ian,

Thanks for this, but unfortuanately the advice is just too, too late. My face is scarred, with both oven rack marks and ill advised by AggieDave burlap sack marks. I will sue them both and wiin big bucks.

Bob Marks
Bob Marks

Before you sue, give it one more try. Turn the pilot light OFF (these things are only done correctly in a GAS oven, if you're using an electric oven you're doing it all wrong). Let the gas accumulate for about 10 min. Now take a deep breath and hold it, open the oven door, stick your head inside and light a match. There now, all done....fits perfect, don't it ? That's how I did mine.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I think that the oven you are using is way too small. You need to go to a bakery, they will have large, walk in ovens. preheat the oven, have someone help you, put the helmet on, walk into the oven, and have someone close/latch the oven door behind you. this way you dont have to worry about your cheeks getting burned.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

All,

Amazing, wonderful, and indeed, yes, even erudite advice from all of you with my best interest at heart. Unfortunately, I won't have time to try it all out until next April Fool's day, though, except for Frenchy's helmet polishing suggestion. Thanks for playing along at home!!

Bob
Bob Marks

>:(You jackasses, made me laugh. And that's not easy for a bunch of white guys not in Monty Python to do.

...Lucky for you I wanted to laugh today.:ph34r::D:ph34r::D
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

I was going to suggest that you go to the local Pizza place. They have really hot ovens there, so the process shouldn't take nearly as long, and they also have those nice little wooden paddles that they can put between you and the grill.
I'd like to suggest further, that you get a nice Mozzerella glaze on the helmet. Mmmmm, golden mozzerella!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I'd like to suggest further, that you get a nice Mozzerella glaze on the helmet. Mmmmm, golden mozzerella!

No tomato sauce?? Heathen!! :P:D

Na, Bob is from California. I think a nice pesto or garlic sauce is more appropriate. Damn, now I'm hungry.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity