briguy

Will you see the Flight 93 movie

NO, I won't see it. I see no point in contributing to the lining of someones pocket off the horror and tragedy of others. We all saw this play out in the media and I have no desire to pay to see it again.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

NO, I won't see it. I see no point in contributing to the lining of someones pocket off the horror and tragedy of others.

The producer worked closely with the families of the victims, and they all approve of this movie about their loved ones.
"Writer-director Paul Greengrass ("The Bourne Supremacy") has gone to great lengths to be respectful in his depiction of what occurred, proceeding with the film only after securing the approval of every victim's family.

"Universal, which is releasing the film, plans to donate 10 percent of its opening weekend gross to the Flight 93 National Memorial Fund."
Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12112802/site/newsweek/

Haven't you been to Speaker's Corner?? Everyone knows the 9/11 attacks were staged by the US government.

The "voices" you hear from flight 93 were done by Frank Oz in a studio in Area 51.:P And they used Elvis to do the voice of Todd Beamer.:P

(ok, who stole my shiny hat?)
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I feel really bad for the families of the victums of 9/11. I read somewhere that the average "settlement" or money they recieved from the government is over $1,000,000 for each family, sometimes even more. Even if the families get a cut of the money from the movie, I will not see it. Every time I think of that day I get really depressed.

Each soldier that gets killed in the current war gets around $12,000 to $15,000 (from the government, not including Soldier's Group Life Insurance, that is seperate, the premium is deducted out of each soldiers paycheck). If they want to help, they should donate some money to the families of the fallen men and women of our military that are putting themselves in harm's way everday.

Anyway, did not mean to rant.
glad to be here!!

So does that mean you didnt watch movies like pearl harbor, saving private ryan, Hiroshima or other movies that are based on our history, or a small piece of history? I saw the one that was on TV about flight 93, yes it brings back the pain of that day but Id rather remember the past because it helps us prepare for the future.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Haven't you been to Speaker's Corner?? Everyone knows the 9/11 attacks were staged by the US government.

The "voices" you hear from flight 93 were done by Frank Oz in a studio in Area 51.:P And they used Elvis to do the voice of Todd Beamer.:P

(ok, who stole my shiny hat?)

You forgot that Hoffa was one of the fake hijackers!;)

I wouldn't pay to see it. Not out of any ethical/moral reasons, I just don't think it'll be my kind of movie. Plus, I already know how it ends.

I personally don't have any problems with 9/11 movies being made. It's coming up on 5 years ago. Yes, it was a terrible thing to have happen, but if you constantly roll around in the dirt of the past, you're throwing away the possibility of a clean future.

As for the movie? It's entertainment. So was Schindler's List, so was Apocalypse Now, so was Platoon, etc etc. If you don't support the movie... don't support the movie. The people that try and block stuff like this from getting made are in no way better than those who burn books or try and get video games banned. If you don't like it, don't watch/read/play it.
cavete terrae.

Nicely put, grue. I have little to add except... if it's a good movie, I'll probably see it, if it's not, I won't bother.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So does that mean you didnt watch movies like pearl harbor, saving private ryan, Hiroshima or other movies that are based on our history, or a small piece of history? I saw the one that was on TV about flight 93, yes it brings back the pain of that day but Id rather remember the past because it helps us prepare for the future.

Does anyone else remember all of the "experts" who were quoted after 9/11 as saying there will never be a 9/11 movie because it's just too close to most Americans' hearts? I wish I could find some of those quotes now. I remember laughing and telling several people that there would be a 9/11 movies within ten years. Now it turns out Hollywood couldn't even wait five years.
I don't have an M.D. or a law degree. I have bachelor's in kicking ass and taking names.

if you constantly roll around in the dirt of the past, you're throwing away the possibility of a clean future.

I disagree. When you forget past history, it makes the events more likely to repeat themselves in the future.

On a related note, a link to the United Flight 93 cockpit voice recorder transcript can be found in the Speaker's Corner at the thread link below. It's a 9-page pdf file, and is very chilling to read.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2174277

if you constantly roll around in the dirt of the past, you're throwing away the possibility of a clean future.

I disagree. When you forget past history, it makes the events more likely to repeat themselves in the future.

Oh, I think people should remember, but there comes a time to move on.
cavete terrae.

So does that mean you didnt watch movies like pearl harbor, saving private ryan, Hiroshima or other movies that are based on our history, or a small piece of history?

The events you mention did not occur in my lifetime so i don't have any sort of memory associated with what i was doing when i heard the news or the anguish i felt over the next several hours / days.

I do not oppose the production of the movie, i just don't need to see the film. hell, i can't even watch footage of the towers falling without getting queasy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NO, I won't see it. I see no point in contributing to the lining of someones pocket off the horror and tragedy of others.
Willy

Did you not see TITANIC for the same reason?

Everybody needs to make money why take it out on Hollywood? The TV networks who first reported the 9/11 events made money from their advertisers. CNN made money both from advertisers and your cable subscription.

The sights & sounds of a great film can help us appreciate what the real horrors
of that day were.

Is it still considered a naked skydive
if you’re wearing a helmet?

How does that affect your watching the movie? I have had multiple friends die in car crashes. All redneck jokes aside, should I stop watching nascar for this reason? I could understand if it was your friends in the plane, but they were your sisters.

Cheers,
Travis

NO, what happened was a horrible day for the US and the world. But the movie will be a complete work of Fiction. Many people that go will take anything that is seen as fact but in reality will be a fabrication from Hollywood. The news has had some stuff from the cockpit tapes and that may be a glimpseof the last few minutes but in reality, Nobody knows what actions happened on that plane and I guarantee that not everyone was a "Hero". If I had loved one that was on that flight I would want to believe that they were heroic.

It was horrible and I will always feel bad for the famlies but this is a act of capitalism and I hope it falls flat and does not make money...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

NO, what happened was a horrible day for the US and the world. But the movie will be a complete work of Fiction. Many people that go will take anything that is seen as fact but in reality will be a fabrication from Hollywood. The news has had some stuff from the cockpit tapes and that may be a glimpseof the last few minutes but in reality, Nobody knows what actions happened on that plane and I guarantee that not everyone was a "Hero". If I had loved one that was on that flight I would want to believe that they were heroic.

It's an art form called historical fiction. In any case, it's an immensely important part of American History, but I don't know if I want to pay to cry, so not sure if I'll see it. Maybe in another 5 years.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

I guarantee that not everyone was a "Hero". If I had loved one that was on that flight I would want to believe that they were heroic.

Wow, that's a fascinating viewpoint, I hadn't thought of that...but now in the movie, perhaps the rest of the passengers pitch in? Are they really going to name real names of individuals that were too petrified to help and curled up into a fetal position and couldn't move? No I doubt it, so you could maintain your vision of your loved one being one of the many nameless passengers that helped the effort.

I do agree with honoring heroes. If a flight cockpit recorder or cell phone calls can verify intent on the part of some named individuals, I feel compelled to honor them. In our society, Hollywood does more to honor 'heroes' to the mass public than any other entity in my VERY humble opinion -GIVEN they also damage reputations more than any other entity aside of print media, but in this one objective, financially-motivated or not, if it honors people that gave their lives to save ours, I am in support.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.