Gawain

NEWS FLASH - Recovery, Walking, Honor

This past week, I was given the okay to begin progressive weight bearing on my repaired-right-ankle (a week ahead of schedule). That now has me walking with my prosthetic. This past Wednesday, I took my first "authorized" steps in my recovery, walked with a walker and did a couple walks around the clinic. The first pic is me getting ready to walk several laps around the PT clinic (with a walker).

The feeling to do this again is exhilerating and troublesome too. Initially, I thought of the bastards that put me in the position of having to learn to walk again. However, the excitement quickly pushed those feelings aside.

My first prosthetic leg (first of many different ones to come) is the Otto Bock C-Leg, it's got a computer that helps with the knee, when it bends, etc. From what I understand, it's an excellent starter, and keeper of a walking leg. That's the story with that.

On Thursday, I was one of seven privileged soldiers to participate in a ceremony on hallowed ground. I received my Purple Heart at Mt. Vernon, at George Washington's Tomb. The ceremony was, to say the least, overwhelming. They went all-out and it was a beautiful day. The other two pics are at the end of the ceremony, a procession of people shaking our hands. One the grand-mother of one of the other recipients, the other, another vet greeting me. I, along with another recipient, was on the cover of the Washington Post on April 21. Pretty cool.

Also, the beautiful woman standing beside me in those pics is my wife, Ayako, who has been by my side since I arrived from Germany and who has endured as much of this recovery as I have.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am at a loss for words. You are a better man than I am.

I will instead copy the words of Shakespeare's Henry V:

Proclaim it Westmoreland, through my host,
That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
And crowns for convoy put in his purse:
We would not die in that mans company,
That fears his fellowship to die with us,
This day call'd the feast of Crispian:
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is named,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbors,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian':
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say, 'These wounds I had on Saint Crispians day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember with advantages,
What feats he did that day; then shall our names,
Familliar in his mouth as household words,
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester,
Be in their flowing cups freshly remember'd.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispian Crispian shall ne'er go by,
>From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered:
We few we, happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother: be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And Gentlemen in England now abed
Shall think themselves accursed they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispians day.
B|
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Congrats on the "authorized" ;) steps and the purple heart. Am I correct in suspecting there were a few "unauthorized" steps?

Thank you for your service, Max!

Hugs, my friend.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Am I correct in suspecting there were a few "unauthorized" steps?

*L* Well...:) Actually, this is a funny story. When I was getting the socket fitted to my limb (stump) with the prosthetist, they have parallel bars too. This was around April 6-10. Once they had a good fit, I took a few steps so he could program the leg. Then I took a few steps. My wife caught some on video. The next week, I showed my Physical Therapist and instead of being proud and excited to a point (i.e. having the wound closed on 3/16 and be walking less than a month later...WOW), she got mildly upset with me. :o "You're not weight bearing yet on your ankle!"... etc. Now, I know she was right. And I followed the line from there, but at the same time, I knew that I was capable of a little more, so I asked my surgeon to evaluate my ankle again. You know the rest of the story.

The whole time I was waiting though, I terrorized my PT...."I can always walk..." "No!!" :D:S
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

It's tough to find that balance between challenging yourself and pushing too hard and hindering your long-term prognosis or even sending yourself back a step or two. Good luck working with your docs and PTs to find that right balance. From what I've read of you on here, it won't surprise me if you're running marathons before we know it. :)
Congratulations on the Purple Heart.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The whole time I was waiting though, I terrorized my PT...."I can always walk..." "No!!" :D:S

We love patients like you, Max. :P

Have fun with that C-Leg. Before long you'll be walking down steps, ramps, and slopes...going step over step like you could before. That prosthesis is a god-send. Glad you got the chance to learn how to do it right the -first- time around. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

There aren't words, Max. I'm feeling an incredible swell of emotion...

You're a better man than I will ever be.
-----------------------
Do you have a snail-mail address while you are there, BTW?

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."