justinhawxhurst

Viso or neptune

Yes I have used the forum surch. All the posts compairing the two products are from when the viso was not released or just after. Now that it has been around a bit I wanted to get some feedback on the two. All the reviews for the Neptune say it is not reliable and the battery goes dead. Some help on this would be great.

So in short which one have people found to have less malfunctions. more acurat readings better battery life or which one have people found to be just a better built devise.

I should have added that. I am going to Florida to do quite a bit of FF jumps whith a coach. as well as a canopy course. As I have been told it is a good idea to have the same visual as well as audable. So I would probibly get one for both. So I am looking for a devise that will give me accurat visual readings as well as the audable tones for canopy and freefall. Mostely for me both the neptune and Viso have the functins I would like but what one is more reliable. The reviews for the neptune are not that good for reliability of its readings and the batter dose not sound like it lastes. But as most reviews go people are biast to what they have. And I do not plan to get wet any time soon I stay away from the ponds.

The functions of seeing and hearing are pretty mutually exclusive. If you want to use the Neptune as a visual then you'll need another audible since its hard to accurately hear the beeps over the wind noise when its at full arms length.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Yes I have used the forum surch. All the posts compairing the two products are from when the viso was not released or just after. Now that it has been around a bit I wanted to get some feedback on the two. All the reviews for the Neptune say it is not reliable and the battery goes dead. Some help on this would be great.

So in short which one have people found to have less malfunctions. more acurat readings better battery life or which one have people found to be just a better built devise.

I have two neptunes and I've never experienced any of the alleged idiosyncrosies. I keep one on my wrist and the other on my helmet for an audible. It is very easy to use and set up. The VISO on the other hand seems abit more complicated to use. This could , however, be attibuted to me being familiar with the neptune.
Don't let the nay sayers steer you from the neptune. My guess is 95% of the issues with the Neptune are operator error.

My guess is 95% of the issues with the Neptune are operator error.

Outside of changing the batteries, there's not too much room for operator error with Neptunes.

I've owned 3, 1 went dead after 3 years of use and was replaced for free and the other 2 have worked fine. It's an electronic device and it can/will fail at some point, but I wouldn't trade my Neptunes in for anything else. They're dead simple to use, really accurate, and the customer service is top notch.

I think a lot of the issues have been solved with the later generations. I know they had a real hard time getting the battery life indicator to work right and a lot of failures I saw were due to low battery power on the early model one I owned.

I have had Neptunes for 3 years. My original was replaced by Alti-2 for battery consumption issues that were a problem with the unit. My second one did very well for a long time then started resetting itself on the airplane and in freefall to the "press any key" screen. It started doing that more and more often until I stopped using it and sent it back to Alti-2 and they fixed it. I have not had problems since. I still use my Neptune because of the EXCELLENT customer service. But because of the problems I have had, and the problems other people I know have had ( one of my friends Neptunes was registering a 900 fpm climb on the ground, and logging jumps he did not make, including one from 54000 feet ) I would not buy another one. I don't trust any altimeter that I look at in freefall and it says "press any key to continue". The only reason I am ok with it is I do lots of tandems and I have my student altimeter as a backup. That said, it is a great concept. When working well they are awesome. And the problems seem to be hit and miss. Some people have no problems, some people have lots of problems. Most of the problems I have seen were definately not "operator error".

The display on the Neptune is pretty big, and stays on for a certain time period after jumping. If you jump, land, pack, and then post dive the display will probably have timed out. If you turn it back on to fill out your log book it will stay on for the same time period. So if you want your battery to last longer either do your log book right after you land or wait until you put it into Paralog. Mine lasts much longer now.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

I have a Viso and it works great and have never had any problem with it. I would say i would like another mounting method but no problems with working. I use a ProTrack and ProDytter on helmet and the Viso for visual. For the 1,000' climp the Dytters go off at the same time and the Viso is right on with them. In freefall, the Viso is deadon with the Dytters. The only thing I see is the max speed is a few MPH off compared to the Protrack, but that is from burbles.
HELLFISH 429
POPS 11113

I have owned both and i agree that the Neptune is definitely easier to use, not ever seeing one in your life you would be able to run through all the elements that it has no problem, and it has a larger screen than the VISO, which is good, but the readings on the neptune varried alot on my jumps from the same exit and deployement altitudes... The VISO is definitely a little more compicated to use and get to all the functions on it but it is much more accruate, well for me at least some have never had problems with the neptune... The one thing i do wish the VISO should have is a slightly larger screen and the tempature reading like the neptune so you'll know actually how hot it is on those summer days waiting to get on the plane... I like the function in the VISO were you can actually go back and replay the whole skydive either in measurements of altitude or speed, its kinda cool whenever you can actually tell the fluctuation in speed whenever going from belly to a sit... Both are good altimeters but i prefer the L&B products even though they arent as user friendly as the Neptune(so easy you dont even need a user manual), but once you own one for a couple weeks you wont even need the user manual anymore

I just bought a Neptune Alti-2 not long ago. Easy to use, easy to read, but I had one jump where it didn't automatically switch to freefall mode. I'm a newbie and that isn't exactly the best variable to introduce...fortunately I had enough presence of mind to push the ALT button and all was well. I also had a line twist one jump and it didn't register Deploy until the twist was cleared.

i have a neptune and a protrack. protrack is always reliable, the neptune hasn't given me too much problems, besides its way of calculating speeds at certain altitudes(programmin error) and the its backlight likes to cut off randomly on night jumps, no problem

but i would like to add, the neptune i have is second hand verson 'a'(the originial) so im sure its due for a new one

I am soon going to get a new visual, i might put the neptune on a mud flap and put a viso on my hand

-thomas

I have had my Neptune for about 4 years now and I have not had any issues with it. I would recommend it to anyone. I know the earlier software versions had some bugs so I have always updated mine when revisions became available. As far as battery life is concerned if you use a quality battery like a Duracell I have found that it will last over a year for me. If you buy a cheap battery (like I did once) it only lasted a few months.

There is a question what do you want to use for.

Any feedback for a WS use?

Thanks!

I use as a visual altimeter. It's working fine. I got some strange speeds logged time 2 time and faulty freefall time once. If you want to get logs and profile out your choice is Neptune, AFAIK Viso has no connection available.

I've been using a Neptune now for 2.5 years (Around 1000 dives) My 1st 3 weeks were pretty rough, and since then, my 2 Neptunes and my wave have worked perfectly. The main problems people have with Neptunes is either trying to get the last cent's worth of juice out of the battery, and not updating the software.

If you're going near water, get a Neptune.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I've got cracked LCD in my Neptune. I sent it to Alti-2 for LCD replacement and I will pay for it $87,55.

When I receive it from repair I will sell it and I will buy Viso couse shit happens and when next time there will be something wrong with it L&B will replace it for me without any costs.

what is a ghetto mount?

I want to use a Viso mounted on the mudflap, any good ideas on how to mount it? I have a digi-pouch (from the guys that make the Wedge), figured on maybe wrapping it around the muflap and somehow angling the display.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've got cracked LCD in my Neptune. I sent it to Alti-2 for LCD replacement and I will pay for it $87,55.

When I receive it from repair I will sell it and I will buy Viso couse shit happens and when next time there will be something wrong with it L&B will replace it for me without any costs.

wouldnt you get an N3 then for that amount? but i agree, since a certain someone left, alti-2 is, well..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda