skydemon2

Whats your blood line?

Genetically: I'm 5/12 Irish, 3/12 scottish, 1/12 german and 3/12 dutch

Family: On my dad's side, the family is mostly irish, except for an austrian way back that gave us the last name. On my mom's side, they're about half Irish and half scottish with a bit of cherokee thrown in. The family immigrated to Ireland from Scotland, and then from Ireland to the US, right about when everyone else was leaving Ireland, and settled in New York. Then, they moved from New York to Alabama, and my great grandparents ended up heading to California on the run from the law.

I used to call myself the Aryan Dream Girl. German (Mom's father's side) and British (Dad's side and Mom's mother's side).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am descended from a hanged witch condemned at Gallows Hill.

Wow....that is some wild s***......especially the part about her curse coming true. Ever tried flying without a chute ? :)
I'm a direct descendant of the Shang Dynasty, warrior overlords who ruled China from 1700s - 1000s B.C. The first Asians to invent writing.

Not as cool as witchcraft, but the pillaging was fun.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

My family comes from the far-off, magical land of Assholia.

Dude - tha is like - SOOOO close to The Skydiving swamps.

We should hang out.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Although those numbers are technically not impossible. You would have to go extremely far back on your family tree to come up with them. I will give you some mathematical credit because you made the sum equal 1. But its clear you were trying to go back 4 generations which should be measured in 16th's. In order to get down to the 1/12, you would need to and track so many people that its laughable.
I find it hilarious when I hear people claim to be 1/32 Cherokee. I have even heard 1/64th before. In order for that to be true, they would need records of all their great-great-great-great-grandparents. And they would be claiming to know for a fact that out of all 64 of them, 1 was Cherokee, and the other 63 were whatever they were claiming to be. To me, it sounds absurd. You may as well put a sticker on your forehead that says, 'I am full of it, and you can easily prove it because I don't understand fractions {at a 5th grade level}.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Although those numbers are technically not impossible. You would have to go extremely far back on your family tree to come up with them. I will give you some mathematical credit because you made the sum equal 1. But its clear you were trying to go back 4 generations which should be measured in 16th's. In order to get down to the 1/12, you would need to and track so many people that its laughable.
I find it hilarious when I hear people claim to be 1/32 Cherokee. I have even heard 1/64th before. In order for that to be true, they would need records of all their great-great-great-great-grandparents. And they would be claiming to know for a fact that out of all 64 of them, 1 was Cherokee, and the other 63 were whatever they were claiming to be. To me, it sounds absurd. You may as well put a sticker on your forehead that says, 'I am full of it, and you can easily prove it because I don't understand fractions {at a 5th grade level}.

I have an aunt thats into geneology, we have records going back as far as 7 generations, some of it is an educated guess considering papertrails get difficult follow after a couple hundred years.
I am 1/8 cherokee (provided that none of my other ancestors was a portion of cherokee, which, actually, they probably were cosidering their geograpic location and history)

whos to say that a persons ancestry wasnt passed down verbally, and that its an educated assesment.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I have an aunt thats into geneology, we have records going back as far as 7 generations, some of it is an educated guess considering papertrails get difficult follow after a couple hundred years.
I am 1/8 cherokee (provided that none of my other ancestors was a portion of cherokee, which, actually, they probably were cosidering their geograpic location and history)

whos to say that a persons ancestry wasnt passed down verbally, and that its an educated assesment.

If you are going to make your assessment going 7 generations back that would be the next level, meaning 128 people contributing to the percentage.
Are you suggesting that you know or have records of all 128 or them? I guess if you could claim that you know atleast 16 of your 7th generation ancestors are Cherokee, then an accurate statement would be that you were atleast 1/8 Cherokee. Still, I find it meaningless. Do you think that if you went into an Indian reservation that they would welcome you as one of them based on that? Or that they would laugh at you thinking you were a delusionable white boy? I am thining the latter.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I have no delusions of going into and indian reservation and either asking or expecting acceptance. I am howerever PROUD that I am a decendant of a race of peoples who lived by the earth and respected it. As, I expect, are the others on here who hold claim to some cultural or social group in history.
Additionally, my physical traits suchs as hair and skin color, body hair, bone structure, etc. suggests that my "assesment" of my lineage is somewhat correct. Theses are things that can be identified through the generations by anthropologists.

The meaning, as you seem unable to find, is in our heritage. Its who we are. Its where we come from. Not that any of us WANT, to be someting we're not, but that by some means, we've associated our family history, and learned something about ourselvs.That is the BIG question right? Why are we here? What this all about?
There is something to learn from history, so that we do not repeat the mistakes made in the past.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I was adopted, and that's what's in the information that the agency gave me. According to that info (where they tell you as much about your ancestry as the family wants you to know), my biological grandmother was a major geneology buff and had records going back over 600 years. I copied the info straight off the paper into my post.