Twoply

What to do with kids speeding in my neighborhood? Creative minds needed!

I live close to the local high school at a corner of a stop sign in a quiet neighborhood and it's always been bad with kids speeding up and down my street. I usually didn't care so much but now that I have a little man of my own I'm starting to get a bit pissed about it. Now mind you I never did think driving all fast was cool and I always had respect for this area when I was younger. Today a kid came humming down the street and I walked out in the middle to catch him to ask him to slow down. He ducked me like a coward of course.
Now there are some pretty inventive minds out there and I call on you for help on what to do. I've done the whole call a cop thing and that's a waste. A slingshot only works so well and paint balloons were too messy when I missed. I followed one kid to his house and scared the shit out of him.
Or should I just let it go and go back to being old?

Notify the Streets department of the issue, they can send out a person to deploy those stupid speed detector hoses that lay across the road. Once they collect the data they can see the average speed of all the cars that drove there. If the speed is too high the streets department can put in a speed bump. This may need to be pressured by a member of the city counsel so contact your rep and tell them of the issue also and ask them for the speed data and the speed bump.

Nothing like bottoming out a kids car and doing hundreds of dollars of damage to teach them a lesson ;)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Teach your kids not to play in the street.

Seriously, you can make a citizens arrest if it is bad. It happened to me in Tahoe. I had my Caddy STS over 90 in snow flurries (dry road) going up the mountain. I guess about 50 people reported me. The cops pulled me over and this bitch pointed me out and I got a reckless driving ticket (reduced to following too close).

I haul ass on the interstate but I would never speed if kids could dart out....

Get a white crown vic and park it on the street

Embarrasment is a deterrent...

One thing that totally over-pisses me off is able assholes parking in handicapped spaces because they have someone elses tag or some lame ass doctor gave them one because they had corns...

They should be ONLY for people in wheelcahirs/walkers....

I dream of getting a news crew, confronting the a-holes skipping to Wal Mart...checking whos tag it really is, then put the video on a website and put their names in the paper like DUI people get...

We Americans are the laziest fuckers on the planet by far..

Since there really isn't anything that is going to fix your problem quickly what I would recommend is creating your own set of speed bumps. I'm sure the other neighbors won't mind as it will slow people down.

Simplest way to do this is to find either a section of old firehose(fire dept) or braided manila rope(school or ship yard), like the ones you used to climb back in gym class and stretch them across the street and U bolt them down in the asphalt. You put 2-3 sections of hose/rope approx 12-18 inches apart from one another like that and I guarentee it will slow people down. This method is used outside some US embassies where Jersey/physical barriers cannot be placed in the road. The bigger the diameter of the rope/hose the better. If you really want to go balls to the wall, you can fill the hose up with sand.It requires a bit of your time and sweat but I'm sure you'll agree your kid and the rest of the neighborhoods kids are worth it.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The CRAZIEST thing happened to me last month. I was approaching an intersection in McKinney TX with no stop sign for me......There was a brick wall sort of blocking my view of the intrersecting street...For some reason.....I slowed almost to a stop....I had a feeling....Sure as hell, this kid (10?) blasted through the intersection without stopping,.....Im not sure I would have hit him but it would have been close.....

I turned left and waived him over......I told him he could easily get hit and he needed to stop at all stop signs.....He seemed more freaked by me talking to him than realizing he tempted fate....

I drove off wondering if that really happened...

Tie two garbage cans or strings of food cans on opposite sides of the road together with monofilament about grille heigth and watch...great fun.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Tie two garbage cans or strings of food cans on opposite sides of the road together with monofilament about grille heigth and watch...great fun.

hahahaha, not there is an idea i like...

hmmm, ok, i have an idea that goes along with you following one home.... depending how young, send the letter to their parents at that address, or just to them... now, here is the part you will need a fellow skydiver's help, dress the fellow skydiver as a young punk *easy for us* get him/her in a 'hidden rig', get to altitude, with the edit words saying "this is what happened to the last kid who passed my house too fast" .. *maybe have it appear they are even tied up and gagged for added effect* and push them out of a plane, with the cameraman chasing them as they flip 'out of control' falling, falling, then camera seperates, and they deploy and such.. or even toss a dummy after so you can get theh bounce on film. .. when they watch the video, they may get the idea.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Eric, it's not as easy as it sounds. I too have a problem with cars that speed down the street that I live on. The home owners associations has been going in circles with the city trying to get speed bumps put in. First they wanted us to use one of those machines that clocks the speed at which the car is traveling at. You know the ones I'm taking about, with the big flashing lights telling the driver what speed they are traveling at. That turned into a joke, the kids wanted to see just how fast they were going.

Putting in speed bumps is very expensive, and the home owners are willing to pay for them. It's just the city that has to okay them.

Now we are being told that we can't put them in, because we are a major artery for the hospital and ambulance and fire trucks would have a problem driving down our street.

I guess it will take having a child get hit by a car to have the city allow us to put speed bumps in[:/]
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Cops won't do anything. If you are really serious about it get a few neighbors together and all of you write letters to the city council. Might take a little bit but I'd say you'll have more enforcement before too long.

This is sound advice. You might want to work with the town council/selectmen and have speed bumps installed or something (though the outcome you seek isn't guaranteed). That whole process would begin with your town requesting a traffic and engineering survey of the street. That will likely be administered by your state's department of transportation.

You can also get some of these guys' license tag numbers and file official complaints (that won't guarantee the outcome you want either).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

well thats shitty,
maybe you could get the spped detector for abrief while and video the kids speed as they race by.

get the car and the detector in video put the date stamp on the video and after a few daysof it you can send the video in to the cops or evento the kids house.

tell him it will not by toleratedand the cops HAVE been notified. that might work for a little while
My photos

My Videos

I live close to the local high school at a corner of a stop sign in a quiet neighborhood and it's always been bad with kids speeding up and down my street. I usually didn't care so much but now that I have a little man of my own I'm starting to get a bit pissed about it. Now mind you I never did think driving all fast was cool and I always had respect for this area when I was younger. Today a kid came humming down the street and I walked out in the middle to catch him to ask him to slow down. He ducked me like a coward of course.
Now there are some pretty inventive minds out there and I call on you for help on what to do. I've done the whole call a cop thing and that's a waste. A slingshot only works so well and paint balloons were too messy when I missed. I followed one kid to his house and scared the shit out of him.
Or should I just let it go and go back to being old?

These seemed to work well last time I had that same problem.

It's more fun when you fill them with rock salt though.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Just stand out by the road behind a bush with a couple of stuffed dummies (about child sized) with large print on it that says "This Could Have Been Your Younger Brother/Sister" and toss them at the speeders. I'm sure they'll get the idea real quick

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

Just stand out by the road behind a bush with a couple of stuffed dummies (about child sized) with large print on it that says "This Could Have Been Your Younger Brother/Sister" and toss them at the speeders. I'm sure they'll get the idea real quick

Or a tricycle with a dummy on it . . . wheeled out in front of the car - CRASH - that sounds GREAT!

Hmmm - I think I know where I can test this . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

We've had the same problem on our street. My wife and I went to all the neighbors on the block and got them to call in. We also got license numbers of 'violators'. There's, like manny streets, a lot of kids around. We told the neighbors to be sure and mention that when calling the police 'non' emergency number. We were amazed at the police response. Every so often, we've had to do that but, it works.
I got to admit, some of the ideas presented here are pretty cool, though. Some of them will get YOU in trouble.

Chuck