Orlando

new Iowa State AAD fire record :-)

Jumping out at 2k???? :S

That's freakin stupid.>:(

the 2K exit isn't a real biggy, irt's the lack of alti awareness and AAD issues that's a problem
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

the 2K exit isn't a real biggy, irt's the lack of alti awareness and AAD issues that's a problem

Thank you. 2k exits are fine with the right planning. Canopy choice and experience are a few of the factors to be considered.

Who the fuck jumps out of a plane and doesn't know how high they are?

You can't cure stupid.

You can't cure stupid.

I know one guy who can. Wears a lot of black, carries a scythe.

Peter Griffin: Who are you"

Death: I'm Calista Flockhart! Who do you think I am? I'm DEATH!

God I love that show!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I know I wouldn't be entirely comfortable getting out at 2K in a non-emergency situation on a pass with a cut.

I've done quite a few. No big deal if you deploy very shortly after exit as you're still travelling horizontally and the canopy opens behind you.

I'd be particularly uncomfortable on a high-speed pass.

I wouldn't do it. You have to wait to slow down to terminal, then pitch. From 2k, that ain't all good.

I wouldn't do it. You have to wait to slow down to terminal, then pitch. From 2k, that ain't all good.

even 3k makes me all jittery... :S I know that's around normal pull alti, but it just "looks" different to me in a plane. I don't know. Makes me nervous.

2k? No way. God I'm glad everyone lived. Hope the injured pull through w/o incident.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

70 jumps over 12 years?

Hop n Pops from 2K are quite normal at alot of Cessna DZ's...

Jumping from 2K out of a Skyvan on a high speed pass is as safe as any other skydive IMHO.

I agree with the vast majority here when I say "Who the fuck gets out of an airplane without having a general idea of high of of the planet they are?"

Did noone look out the door? Did noone look down in freefall? Did noone look at there altimeter before (or after) exit?

While I am sorry for thos that are injured, and those that know and love them, WTF?

This has got to be about the stupidist thing I have hever had to read about in an incident thread. Weather hold, high speed pass at 6500, clouds roll in faster than anticipated, door light come on as normal, people exit not knowing.... break the fucking chain people....

Ganja "Accidents happen because of idiocy most of the time" Rodriguez

Not really if you know you are at that altitude. In fact when I was working on my Pro Rating, I was exiting the AC at that on most of my jumps.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Let's move on from this.

I can't believe no one has started a forum about how the skyvan at Couch Freaks stalled on jump run when more then 10 jumpers doing a raft dive were past the red line the day before the cypres fiasco. It took the pilot to 6500ft to recover. That made great video!!

JM

Let's move on from this.

I can't believe no one has started a forum about how the skyvan at Couch Freaks stalled on jump run when more then 10 jumpers doing a raft dive were past the red line the day before the cypres fiasco. It took the pilot to 6500ft to recover. That made great video!!

JM

What was exit alti? 13? 14? Is video posted anywhere yet?

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Probably not. I left yesterday at 6pm when I figured it was going to be overcast for the remainder of the boogie.

My guess is that there are still a lot of people there drinking free beer and partying until the end of the event on Monday.:P

The most interesting incident was on Friday morning. My teammate pointed out a low reserve deployment. I saw the reserve coming out of the freebag. The guy got about 5-10 sec of canopy ride before landing. We figured it was an AAD activation. My teammate said he saw everyone else in the group (4-way?) track away and deploy. This guy was just flailing and unstable, no main deployment.

The next day I heard the rest of the story. He was kicked/ stunned at break off and although the ADD fired it did not deploy his reserve, he came to and pulled his reserve handle (?!?). I can't confirm the last part is true; That sounds really strange to me.

Although it was not as strange as the guy who wandered up to the NSL tent and asked us if we had a fresh cypres battery for sale.:D:D:D Who brings a $100 AAD battery to a boogie? I asked him if he ment a Pro-track/ Neptune battery. "No, I need a cypres battery.":D:D:D
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I'm not saying blame the pilot, because ultimately, its the jumper's responsibility to know his altitude and not just go on the green light. BUT, every time I've been on a load where there's a been a significant change in the planned exit altitude (in either direction) the pilot has communicated that with the load. Sounds like a series of bad decisions all around, and I'm glad no one was killed.

Iowa state record?

I think this could likely be a world record for AAD fires on a single load!

It's an Iowa record, but it only ties the California record, set in 2000.
That record was a bonifide 'all people on the same dive' jump from the top floor.

Can't really tell if the Iowa record was several solos or a 4-way, plus solo.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Not really. We used to hop & pop from a Cessna at 2 grand if that's all we could get in bad weather. You actually have about as much time as you would with a terminal pull at 3 grand. The landscape does look pretty big, but it's a safe confidence builder of a jump. On the other hand, if I knew 2 grand was all I might be getting, I'd turn my Cypres off before boarding the plane.

As for whether or not it's legal for A and B licenses, do the 3000 and 2500 ft altitudes apply to terminal or to ANY jump, I really don't know. Because you've got as much or more time, with a canopy that takes less altitude to open.

Poor AFF kids are just scared to death of hop & pops, what a shame...

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Magellan, People might look at your two base jumps and say that was stupid because it was from a low object.
Jumping at 2,000 can be done safely, there was a chain of events here that made the problem. One small part of it was the lack of altitude awareness, not a lack of altitude!
I have many jumps from 2,000 feet and maybe a bit lower that I did safely and would feel very comfortable doing again.
This event is a great learning tool for us all. You can ask yourself about your comfort levels, trust in your abilties and gear.
i ask myself, what if's all the time and to those who say 2,000ft is to low, thats fine.. ask yourself if something happens to the plane at 2,000ft would you get out or stay in the plane? I know that i would not only get out if the pilot suggested so, but I would also feel very comfortable in doing so.
Just food for thought and a chance to learn from others mistakes.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com