alanbrit

Too Poor To SkyDive ! :(

Holy Buhjeezez !!@ Never seen so many replies at once!

Appreciate the comments! sorry about not filling the info, I just did, im in california, I know there are many DZ's out here, but man, its expensive.

How old were you when you guys started ? I feel like im getting older and older and IM never going to skydive, well at least till im in my mid twenties (which sound soo late!) Man this is killing me...Im watching "IMAX - Adrenaline Rush DVD" right now and god !, I want to just jump into my screen!

I might just rob a bank or something ... dang it.

[:/]>:(

Did anyone here find a way to get Free sky dives ? What if you like clean , fix stuff up or something on a DZ? Anyway ! even if its border line illegal

ok so calm down and just finish school.
I jumped when I was 18 and started to go through training. However just before being able to go solo I moved. 10 years later and I finally made it back into the air. Yes money had alot to do with it.

10 years I kept looking at the sky and wishing I was in it. 10 years!!!! So let me tell you, you can wait and the sky will still be there when you can afford it.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

You do have an alternative that many of us have taken... get thee to the local DZ... learn how to pack .. and make money working weekends while you are hanging out at the DZ.. and jump.. at discounted rates that employees of the DZ get.( depends on where you live and your DZO)

I did that when I was first learning to skydive. I was in college and working as a packer packing T-10's to pay for my jumps.

AND fill out your data in your profile( thought I would add that before the hard core types get on you about it

Why is it so important to fill out the profile? I have an empty one. I think a new gal needs to be very careful with the amount of information that is given in a profile. If some one is giving skydiving advise or trolling, that's a different story.

Edit to add:
Besides, most non jumpers don't even fill out the profile correct:

Disciplines of Choice: Style and Accuracy

Photographer: Yes

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Duuuude, mellow out.

I started skydiving when I was 31(now 37). Yes I am lucky, i look and feel 25 still, but hey, thats what jumping does, keeps you young. But skydiving can be expensive, but no more than a car payment, or jetski, or a bag of good clubs. I did spend 10 grand getting into the sport though. But hey, I drive a beater truck...no 800 payment for me.

Anyway, about the school thing. Its a good thing IF you put your education to work. I didnt for the first 5 years or so after college, worked for other people, slaved, made them rich. Anyway, what I am saying is, dont dump 50K into an education and then dont use it. I went to school for construction management, now I am a general contractor, my own company...actually just me...but I use my education everyday, it makes me money by limiting my mistakes.

But if you want to make good money, do your own thing. I dont care if it is selling tires, building bridges, or being a hooker...the point is...every business you see driving down the road is own by someone who put thier balls (sorry ladies) on the table and went for it. Do it now, while your young and have the energy. Good luck. :)

Well, I think your question has been answered many times here. Get your education. The sky will always be there. You will be able to find yourself a better paying job with an education and then the sky will become your playground.B| Three years go by very quickly.

Just a side note: I'm in an opposite situation than you. I have the money to skydive, but I can't because I'm injured. Now that's frustrating.

Chris

I think that if you are too "money less" to skydive in the first place than don't, I'm going through the same agony here. I shouldn't have skydived in the first place but now I need air to survive. I need more air time. errrrrrrrrrrrrr. I haven't bought any new cloth for year now, haven't went to decent restaurant for year, if I have to eat out, it is usually whopper JR. which is 99 cents. Is this the life worth it, to me yes. Here is my adivce, if you want to skydive real bad, than go to school and get a job that pays bank. Then you'll be able to enjoy this sport even more. Just look at the statstic on USPA, most of the skydiver are college graduate. Education=More income=More jump.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Quit school and get a full time job at a local restaurant. Work your ass off and in no time you'll be management. Once that happens you'll be in the perfect spot to live a lonely, bachelor life style with just enough money to pay your rent and feed your cat and make all the skydives you want in between weekend night shifts.

Either that or stay on your current path, get a good job, build a well rounded life and maybe a family, then add skydiving to it as an accent.

Either way, your choice.

dang, its like, like, you described my life to the T. sad but true.. well, except I won't be making manager any time soon.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

If you follow the advice of dropping out of school and getting a job that doesn't require a degree...

Well, this feeling that 'skydiving is the center of everything' will wear off after a few hundred jumps and then you'll realize that you missed alot of valueable time in getting your degree but you won't have the drive to go back and finish and you'll end up doing exactly what others have mentioned... with alot of regret.

Only go through the student progression if you can sell things to get the money to do - don't put it on a charge card and don't 'just do a level when you have the money' - chances are you'll end up repeating due to lots of time between jumps.

Skydiving is an expensive hobby to get into... don't start until you can 'do it right'.

Jen
Arianna Frances

...I feel like im getting older and older and IM never going to skydive, well at least till im in my mid twenties (which sound soo late!) Man this is killing me...

18 going on 19 and life is passing you by...
:D:D:D:D

STFU youngster. Wait'll you get to be MY age and THEN start crying. Mid-twenties, sheesh...you may need a walker by then, eh?
:D:D:D:D

So what DZ are you going to to learn to pack on the weekends and pay for your training and jumps?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I think people regret the time they spent in school more than the time in the air.

I sure don't. I agree that jumping should be fit around real life for most people. There are some for whom it is real life, but for most it only takes that place for a short time.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Let me shoot it to you straight.

Stop whining. ;) I work three jobs (not including doing tandems and video every weekend) Plus I'm in grad school. I have a mortgage, car payments, school loans, insurance, support of family, etc. Does my wife work, yes. However, back in the day (80-90s) I worked three jobs so my wife could stay home and take care of four small kids. Plus I went to college and grad school.

So, my advice, is stop making excuses and get creative. For example. When I was in my 30s I needed more money to support the family. I started drawing cartoons and submitting to magazines. It took a year or so to make a dent, but in the long run I sold cartoons to Good Housekeeping, Better Homes & Gardens, TV Guide, Saturaday Evening Post, National Enquirer, Soap Opera Digest, Ebony and about 100 other smaller magazines on a regular basis. That led to illustrating books.

A DZ should be a "No whine zone"

steveOrino

And the real world can give you a better education than someone who couldn't make it in the real world.

Although that may be true.... my husband was just denied a promotion because he doesn't have a college degree. He's been programming since he was 7 and is really good at what he does, far better than the guy that got the job... but that guy had a degree, in art history.

All it took was a piece of paper to get the job, and he didn't have it.

Jen
Arianna Frances

Funny story:
I was managing our company softball team and one of the guys (a manager) denied a promotion to one of his people for that same reason and under the exact same circumstances. I cut him.
:D:D:D

So, what you are really saying is:
"Suck it up, cupcake."

:D:D:D

Steve, you're a classic workaholic.
:D:P

I'd be interested in seeing some of those cartoons you did for the National Inquirer...gotta be some weird stuff, eh? Do any involve Rodney Dangerfield and sex-goddess aliens?
:D

I'd be interested in seeing some of those cartoons you did for the National Inquirer...gotta be some weird stuff, eh? Do any involve Rodney Dangerfield and sex-goddess aliens?
:D

Actually, they were pretty bland by my present taste:

1) parents to small child: "Son, we are gettinga divorce, and you're going to live with our lawyer because he is the only one who can afford to raise you now."

2) Weatherman: "Tomorrow's forecast calls for partly cloudy with a 30% chance of rain and a 50% chance I'm right."

See, I told ya -- rather lame. Here are some from other magazines. I think they are funny.

http://www.steve-phelps.com/cartoon/toon1.html

steveOrino