freeflir29

Thank God.........Math for Dummies!

I'm going to go ahead and get out of the way what I have been dreading most. See.........I am mathematically impaired. Always have been since 1st grade. I can STILL remember "Just not getting it" even back then. :D I was just looking at the college course I would have to take. I only need ONE thank God. I start looking at the courses like "College Algebra" and Calc/Trig courses. Then I got down to the bottom and found "Math for Liberal Arts Majors." :D Bing bing bing.............I think we have a WINNER! :D It sucks being a math dummy but that's what they make calculators for right? :D Are you mathematically impaired?

I can STILL remember "Just not getting it" even back then.

It's funny you say that. Math is based on axioms:
axiom
1. a self-evident truth that requires no proof.

So, if you don't get the axioms as being self evident, you ain't gonna get it at all.
We are all engines of karma

Me? Somewhat. My son, sadly takes after me. Gosh, Math can really make one feel worthless, especially for a school age boy. It sucks that he struggles. I work with him as much as possible. I have tried to teach him all of the "hidden" secrets I have learned through out the years to help him get past the problems of learning times tables, adding, subtracting, etc. His self esteem takes a real nose dive when they (teachers) introduce new topics in Math class and for me it just plain stresses me out. As for calculators, thats a big NO NO in 5th grade.

May we join your Math Sucks club??

Bobbi

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Me? Somewhat. My son, sadly takes after me. Gosh, Math can really make one feel worthless, especially for a school age boy. It sucks that he struggles. I work with him as much as possible. I have tried to teach him all of the "hidden" secrets I have learned through out the years to help him get past the problems of learning times tables, adding, subtracting, etc. His self esteem takes a real nose dive when they (teachers) introduce new topics in Math class and for me it just plain stresses me out. As for calculators, thats a big NO NO in 5th grade.

May we join your Math Sucks club??

Bobbi

Bobbi

Is there tutoring available? Get some if it is. He really should get at minimum arithmetic (+,-,X,/) and some basic algebra & geometry down pat. Sure, depends on what he's got for ideas for the future, but those are very fundamental to all but the we-don't-need-no-stinking-degrees crowd.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Oooh trust me we are doing everything possible for him!! For him when it comes to times tables for example, he knows all the 5,6,7,8,9's but when it comes to like the 2,3,4's he struggles. It blows my mind.:S

But yeah he is getting tutoring and whatever else there is out there. I remember my struggle with Math and back then there really wasn't much help out there. Now there is, so I have jumped on every option there is. I don't want this to be a "life long" struggle for him. What it comes down to is self esteem. He is a perfectionist to the hilt. We have tried/trying everything to boost it until we are blue in the face.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I have waited to take any and all math classes I can. Because I have done that I have to take my two least favorite classes next semester. Math and Chemistry and I am not looking forward to them either.[:/]
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Then I got down to the bottom and found "Math for Liberal Arts Majors."

Interesting. I'd just like to point out that although I am a liberal arts major I was also damn good at maths before going down the Classics route.:P What I wasn't good at was helping my friends because I just couldn't understand why they didn't understand.:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

"Math for Liberal Arts Majors."

Question: 2+4 = _____ Please show your work the demonstrate that this is 6. Discuss how the number 6 'feels' to be so confined as a definition of two other numbers. Discuss in detail the exculsion of odd numbers in this question and how that reflects upon the basic unfairness and inhumanity of the american culture. Elaborate on how big business and the US political system causes most social issues in the world.

You have 20 minutes - this question is worth 25% of your course grade and 63% of your self worth this semester. A wrong answer will result in an A-. The correct answer will result in an A for the course. If your parents are filthy rich (make over $25,000 annually combined, or you are guilty to get A's, then your A will be automatically transferred to any other classmate provided they meet certain 'need based' criteria subjectively determined by the professor and approved by lobby groups of the NEA. Kissing up to the professor's subjective political agenda in this test will guarantee a better grade and likely a sexual overture.

Test not to be taken internally. Do not drive heavy machinery (they take too much gas). Side effects include headache, and oily staining. Your mileage may vary.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

This is going to sound counter-intuitive, but when you get to calculus, try NOT using a calculator.

I took Calculus my senior year of high school, in 1988. I decided to take it again in 1995 before I started business school (it was a prerequisite so I wanted a refresher, though I didn't find myself using it much). By that time, graphing calculators were very much the norm and we were encouraged to use them.

Know what? They wound up confusing me and not helping me learn the concepts. I found hashing a solution out with good, old-fashioned paper and pencil was the only way I could "see" the concepts (and I'm a very visual learner). After doing the problems the old way, I "got" them and could then do them on the tests.

Just a thought...
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Are you mathematically impaired?

not me.. I'm pretty good with "figures"...I know 36-24-36 when I see one..:P;)

You've ALWAYS been that way! :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Math isn't difficult. quite often you know it without knowing you know it.

Problem 1. M16A2 full mag, you let off two 1sec bursts, whats left in the mag.

Answer 1. 3.33, See you knew it
Answer 2. I don't give a toss I already changed the mag:D

Gone fishing

Yep. I took "Game Theory" in college for my math credit. It was a study of gambling and other games. We all called it "Cop Out Math."

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Problem 1. M16A2 full mag, you let off two 1sec bursts, whats left in the mag...
Answer 1. 3.33, See you knew it
Answer 2. I don't give a toss I already changed the mag

Dude, the M16A2 in burst mode shoots 3 rounds. Therefore 2 bursts would be equal to 6 rounds fired, 30-6=24ea 5.56 rounds remaining in the magazine. Neither of your answers is correct or an appropriate course of action.:P
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I haven't had math since Junior year of high school and I am on my 5th year in college! I had a geology class that had trig and calc in it and I did really good. I have a math 99 ( basic college algebra) class right now, everything is so fuzzy, there are parts that I can remember but all the rest I am lost on!

Good luck with your math class

Heather
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

Depends... I have a degree in mathematics which means that I can no longer actually calculate anything much less do so in my head, but should you want to discuss functionals on Banach spaces I sure do have a book to throw at you. :D
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I have a degree in mathematics which means that I can no longer actually calculate anything much less do so in my head

ROFLMAO!!!! Me too!!!
GNU Octave works well though, FYI!

Banach spaces

Cool.

I spent some time on Riemann surfaces ;):D I would have been dizzy, but they were only imaginary to begin with B|B|B|
We are all engines of karma