Frenchy68

Marriage...

Rocks!B|

ah yes, but what kind of rock ? Is it soft and limp like Def Leppard, or is it hard and energetic like Disturbed ? Is it weak-ass chalk which erodes away too quickly and easily at the slightest sign of attrition, or is it the hardy Limestone which is tough enough to last for life ? Is it a pebble which sits on a beach like a dumb shit all day, lost amongst all the other pebbles, or is it a comet streaking through the heavens with the energy and vibrancy of 100 suns saying "Nothing's gonna get in my way" ?
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

A dance never seems too long when you have the right partner

Marriage and eggs are best when they are fresh

Marriage is friendship set to music

Some people make the world more special just by being in it.

To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with

We are so fond of one another because our ailments are the same

Through the eyes of love & marriage, all things will take on new meaning

All marriages are happy, it's the living together afterward that causes all the trouble

Keep your eyes open before marriage and half-closed afterwards

Marriage is a romance in which the hero dies in the first chapter

Marriage is an institution but not every man wants to live in an institution

Love is the silent picture; and marriage is the talking version of it

No secrets is the secret of a happy marriage

A man may forget where he went on honeymoon but he'll never forget why

Being the best man is like having sex with Barbara Bush. It's an honor, but you don't really want to do it.

Married men live longer than single men do, but married men are a lot more willing to die.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

I'm an optimist and a pragmatist. I sometimes think I have a unique view of marriage. Having handled some divorces, I've figured out some things.

One of them is that in short-term marriages, the most of the reasons why people divorce were the reasons why they got married in the first place. I've named it, "The sweet imperfections became annoying and then intolerable."

Examples? She fell in love and married him because he showered her with attention. She wants a divorce because he's "too possessive" (aka, he STAYED attentive). Or, he married her because she was a great conversationalist and wants to leave her because she won't just leave him alone. Or, he married her because the sex was so great, and only later figured out that, damn, he can't talk to her.

To keep it real, I have fallen out of love with my wife before. I know that she has fallen out of love with me a few times, too. Trust me, there were times when I know that if we were dating, we would have broken up. (Since I have a rule against second chances, it would have been for good, too.) No, it doesn't mean we didn't love each other. We just weren't "in love" for those periods of time.

Marriage, however, does something that nothing else can really do - marriage keeps you together until you can fall in love again. I've fallen in love with my wife many times. It would have been a shame had marriage not provided that bond that actually kept us together long enough for that to happen. I know that sometimes people just don't fall in love again. A marriage, however, if used correctly, at the very least least provides for the opportunity to know that you gave it all you could.

Marriage is truly an awesome thing. It is best when those involved realize that better comes after worse. Sometimes that "better" is divorce, but only if it is handled with the respect due to a marriage.

Edited to add: Congrats, Frenchy. And thanks for making me think about it.:)

My wife is hotter than your wife.

One of them is that in short-term marriages, the most of the reasons why people divorce were the reasons why they got married in the first place. I've named it, "The sweet imperfections became annoying and then intolerable."

From a pessimistic viewpoint, that right there seems to be the primary purpose of dating. It's for figuring out what I don't like about a woman, and deciding whether those things are acceptable or unacceptable. It's sometimes tough to do too, having to step back and predict whether a particular irritant will subside and become just a quirk that I'm accustomed to or fester and become something I can't tolerate.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)