napaguy99

Would you laugh?

Imagine this: You're on a jump with a few buddies. The exit funnels. You look over a few seconds later at your friend. He is holding a cutaway cable and pointing at you with wide eyes. You can see his cutaway handle is where it's supposed to be. You assume he somehow accidentally pulled your cutaway handle during the melee and you freak out.

Later on, after realizing everyone's cutaway handles are where they're supposed to be, you realize he brought an extra cutaway cable just to trick you. Is this funny?

This is all just hypothetical. It hasn't happened to anybody I know......yet.

"Let the misinterpretation and attacks begin."

I would think its kinda funny if you told me that you did it to somebody or that somebody did it to you, if you all landed safely and nothing bad happened, but if you did it to me then I would surely kick the shit out of you as soon as we landed...no question. Right now in the air the last thing I need is a fake emergency which would scare the crap out of me and cause me to execute emergency procedures when I dont need to.

I have a pretty weird sense of humor and I think everything is funny but I wouldnt ever do that to someone. Just my honest no bullshit opinion.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

well, I would hope you'd try a less expensive way to play a joke on someone.

Unless you're willing to pay the $40 or $50 bucks for a re-pack if they pull their reserve instead of their main.

If this happened to you would you not take .5 seconds to see if it was your cutaway handle? Or would you just immediately assume it was yours and go straight to silver?

Let's say you were at a meeting and you saw a cell phone on the ground. Would you check your pocket first to see if you lost yours? Or would you just go straight to the store and buy a new one?

I don't think a joke like the OP would cost anyone money.

It's been done and jokes like this can be funny but can also result in unexpected (poor) outcomes. I'd say get past the naysayers by just handing it to someone when they're in the plane, jamming the door, and their count is at "READY!"...or maybe "SET!" ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

It's been done and jokes like this can be funny but can also result in unexpected (poor) outcomes. I'd say get past the naysayers by just handing it to someone when they're in the plane, jamming the door, and their count is at "READY!"...or maybe "SET!" ;)

The smiley probably indicates you meant that as a joke, but I consider that a more dangerous prank than the one in question. Loose stuff in a plane typically freaks people out a lot.

As for the original prank. It's only funny when you do it to a complete beginner coming from a static-line program doing his first five seconds from 4000 feet or less.

And that was a joke as well of course...

adam adam adam.. only you would think of something like that wouldnt ya:P
.... dont even think about pullin that one on me in FL:D

Umm no not only him, it's been done before and if done with a bunch of mates
HELL YEAH it's funny (as long as no one gets hurt).
It's like dumping at you mate when you go from a right handed doughnut:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If this happened to you would you not take .5 seconds to see if it was your cutaway handle?

if you take a look at the jump numbers of those outraged vs those that just say 'whatever', I think you can answer that question

and also who not to do this prank to

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If this happened to you would you not take .5 seconds to see if it was your cutaway handle?

if you take a look at the jump numbers of those outraged vs those that just say 'whatever', I think you can answer that question

and also who not to do this prank to

we have a winner.

Only do this to those friends you have taht are smart enough to
a) look at their own cutaway handle first.
b) not freak out.

But I personally think this would be fucking hillarious.
Even funnier than dumping your buddy out of a formation(assuming no camera guy, cause I'd fucking kill you then:P)

that is hilarious! YOu can do that to me, and I will get a laugh at it.. I would probably be more confused than anything after checking my /your handles and seeing them all there, then on the ground, would go to you, and very confused ask.. wtf???
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Blues,
Dave

I'm reminded of that funny skit in I think it was Mike McGowan's greatest hits? Two guys on the ramp of a Casa or skyvan get into an argument and one of them pulls the other's PC and throws it out and he immediately pulls the cutaway handle while getting yanked off the ramp over a 3rd jumper crouched behind him. I'll have to watch it again to be sure I got it correct...

That was funny... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Let me play the voice of reason here for a minute.What if you did this to someone they pull their reserve and have a mal and die.I think it could be funny if you were sure you could convince everyone on the dive it was a joke before anyone pulled their reserve.

Darwin.

Let me play the voice of reason here for a minute.What if you did this to someone they pull their reserve and have a mal and die.I think it could be funny if you were sure you could convince everyone on the dive it was a joke before anyone pulled their reserve.

Darwin.

In all seriousness........not a good idea. The funny ones never are.

I have a spare cutaway handle, I thought about this jokea few months ago. Believe it or not,m i dont think its really a good idea. depeneds on who you do it to. If it was me i would check handles then give them the bird. Other people act differently.
Kind of reminds me of the video from lake wales last year when the freeflyer lost his cutaway handle
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

I'm reminded of that funny skit in I think it was Mike McGowan's greatest hits? Two guys on the ramp of a Casa or skyvan get into an argument and one of them pulls the other's PC and throws it out and he immediately pulls the cutaway handle while getting yanked off the ramp over a 3rd jumper crouched behind him. I'll have to watch it again to be sure I got it correct...

The "puller" was Leonard Kunz - can't miss that handlebar mustache, it was at the 1994 freefall convention I believe. - (if we are talking about the same incident,) not sure of the other peeps identities
it was staged for the camera using a dummy pilot chute, everyone knew about it.... except the pilot.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.