JasonQ

First Sewing Project

My rigger wants me to plan a first sewing project and I need some ideas. What was your first sewing project?

Hi,
Tell us which sewing machines you have access. Also which one you know how to use, like straight stitch, zigzag, double needle...
Also, do you know how to make templates with paper board?
Do you know most of the tapes and webbing commonly used on parachute rigging/manufacturing?
Try to answer all these questions with accuracy and maybe everybody that is reading you post can give you cool ideas for your sewing project. I can definitely help you too!
I don't normally give sewing projects to my students. I have a different approach for sewing skills!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

If you're a complete neophyte at sewing, a gear bag might be easier to start with than a rigging bag. Bigger pieces, fewer tight angles, etc.

Then you can decorate it with different types of webbing and knots :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Here are a few ideas:

Wallet
Logbook cover
Velcro line protector(s)
Shot bag(s)
Rigger tool belt
Beer coo-zee (how's that spelled, anyway?)
Drag mat
Slider (you'll need help with the grommets)
Elastic keepers
Slider locks (Slocks) (you'll need risers for this)
Toggle hoods/keepers (you'll need risers for his, too)

Mark

I am assuming, you are working on your rigger's ticket? Have you been through patching a parachute? You didn't mention what level of sewing expertise you have. If, you know your way around a sewing machine, try to find out what your rigger might be able to use and make that. There's nothing wrong with sucking-up to your teacher!:D

Chuck

My first project was a base stash bag. Doesn't get too much simpler than that, but there is a good deal of sewing involved. It's basically just a big sack with a drawstring at the top and shoulder straps and a handle made of some kind of webbing.

My first sewing project was a camera belly-mount. I used my mom's consumer sewing machine and then my dropzone's bar tack machine in a couple of the important places. It works really well, but in a couple weeks I will have a real sewing machine (Singer 241) and I plan on making version 2.

You can never practice enough on the no pin parachute patch in Poynter's manual vol II. I have a couple other versions of the instructions that Rag's has put out over the years. This IS the first "thing", other than running the machine at Dave DeWolf's course.

DON'T do it on a parachute. Do it on a 1' square of parachute fabric.

I think the first things, other than patch practice WITH pins in 1981, that I made were a log book cover in my colors and a drag mat. Shot bags as stated but consider a lead alternative or coated fabric to cut down on lead dust over the next 50 years.

Toggles are good too, and can be made on a 'heavy duty' home machine. But make sure you don't let anybody use them until someone inspects the design. Badly designed toggles can be very dangerous.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Perfect, these are exactly the kinds of ideas I was looking for. Yes, I'm exploring the idea of becoming a rigger.

I have some skill with a needle and thread, but almost none with a sewing machine. I talked to my Mom about this and she suggested getting some cheap fabric and develop some basic skills before attempting a project.

Yes,
Keep your first project something simple, like a drag mat.
Get really good on the single needle machine before you try anything on a zig-zag, much less a double needle machine.
And if you are intimidated by bartackers ... GOOD ... the faster way to wreck a parachute is with a flame-thrower!
Evil laughter!!!

I've been working on a freefly tube as my first big sewing project. ZP is a bitch!

Oh yeah, we almost forgot B|. Is that going to be done one of these Christmases? Can't wait to see that blue and orange monster.

To the OP: Make yourself some useful tools to start. Freebag velcro line protectors and shot bags/weights are probably the easiest projects out there ... and they'll be yours, and you'll use them for years to come if you get into rigging.

Next, you should be ready for toggles, risers or riser mods, etc. Once you have the basic sewing skills, see if you can find some old non-airworthy stuff to pick apart. This was a huge learning boost for me: how was it sewn - in what order - and why? Was that grommet there before or after that was sewn? Why was that zig-zagged and this other bar-tacked? Dis-sewing in order will show you how things are manufactured and how to sew/construct in order; may save you some mistakes.

You've got to learn to patch canopies - get some F111 and ZP scrap material; start early and work often for short periods is my advice. If you get frustrated: stop. Come back to it later, or the next day.