r2hubert

Mr Bill and Canopy size.

I was wondering what kind of canopy size is used to do a Mr Bill.
Because the loading is quiet important with 2 peoples and 2 rigs, even if the opennng is subterminal.

Thanks

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

My concern is that the canopy is going to be overloaded! Of course you are not going to land it with two people. But with a canopy like a 235 and two people is it safe to fly it without damaging the canopy?

--
Renaud SMA #9
"Mind is like parachute. It only functions when it's open."

Damage is unlikely when the Mr. Bill is done correctly (subterminal opening, relatively stable.) One thing you have going for is that most of your parachute system is good for several thousand pounds of force; you sometimes see those forces during a hard opening. Most Mr. Bills can't hold on if you see such a violent opening, so the extra load is immediately eliminated.

It does underscore the importance of _never_ attaching the Mr. Bill to the Sluggo unless the rig is designed for it (like a tandem rig.) It is also important, of course, to drop the guy immediately if anything goes wrong, like a lineover.

What you would consider if you are considering videoing it is taking a canopy that allows a loading compatible with the loading of the cameraman, such as 2 average persons under a student PD260. To be under such a canopy would allows enough margin of manouver for the cameraman and for you it would allows enough time to enjoy the ride.
Have fun ;)

S-P
===========================

Because the loading is quiet important with 2 peoples and 2 rigs, even if the opennng is subterminal.

Thanks

Disclaimer... Don't do this

If the person can hold on during opening shock, Use any size parachute you want.

My stiletto 97 has been used a couple times. and I've seen it done many times on 135's

Tim
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I wouldn't go so far as to say don't do it, but if you do it, make sure you understand the dangers. If the canopy opens hard, it is a violent experiance. I did one that failed due to a late toss, PC hessitation, and a hard openning. I got RIPPED off of Mr. Bill. It isn't like you can see that the forces build up, and try to figure out a way to hang on... You go from holding on to someone to being 20 ft. below them in freefall before you know what happend. I ripped Mr. Bills shoe off on my way past his legs. Also understand the damage that could be done if your head catches a Knee as you get striped off (helmet is a real good idea), or the bone/ joint damage if you are donig anything more than holding on ( or even just get snagged on something). Like BV said, don't hook anything to gether (chext straps etc), and you doh'nt want to wrap your arms or leg into anything that won't pull free like twisting through a leg, chest strap or main lift web.
Its risky. You can break gear, break you, get knocked out, tear/ rip off clothes etc.

Just know what you are getting into. It's a lot of fun when you get it right!!!

z

Thanks

Disclaimer... Don't do this

If the person can hold on during opening shock, Use any size parachute you want.

My stiletto 97 has been used a couple times. and I've seen it done many times on 135's

Tim

I know when X-braces came out in force, a Mr. BIll was done to load them really heavily and see the response. I think there was even datalogging, but I can't remember the details. I do know it was like a 4.5 loading.

It will probably be a Cesna 206.

Why "Just don't do it" ? [:/]

..that was a fake disclaimer. Note that I said. 'but since you will;)

Ive done several Mr bills, on both ends. It's quite fun. Since it adds an element of danger I added the disclaimer feigning concern for your health and well being.

Dirt dive it and have fun. Full face helmuts are a good Idea, I have yet to wear one. but the wisdom in that became quite clear soon after the opening because the blood coming from the nose of the person holding on to me got all over his goggles. [:/]

Tim

Tim

:o:o:o:o
are you serious???? i mean, that's way to much my peenut sized brain can handle :S:S
please, be so kind and tell me and all the others more about it, or where we can find some photos or videos about it

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

It was very fast. I'd say a slightly larger parachute or different model would be better but use what you have. If you've always wondered what would happen if you put 350 pounds under a 97(or what ever size you have available), Now's your chance.

Passenger holds tightly to the harness, and wraps his legs around. This allows for the easiest exit, but in case of a hard opening, easy ejection. After the exit and very quick toss of the pilot chute, as soon as it seems "Hey... This might work" the person flying the parachute starts to Bear hug the passenger and also picks up his knees under the butt of the passenger.

It's pretty intimidating to have that much weight under a teeny parachute so mostly, we just flew around performing some turns, then I spiraled until he let go.

Let's put it this way. If all goes well, *It's the shit*

A post earlier mentioned possible broken parts of you or your equipment. The first time you do this, you quickly realize how real the possiblities are. None-the-less.. It's REALLY fun.

It's not for the meek, so plan it wisely and think about it very carefully. Have a blast.

4.5 # jump video link :

http://www.extremefly.com/aerospace/press/index.html

weight was used not a mister bill passenger.

as far as mister bills, i have never done one. they always sounded like fun, then again always sounded like a stupid risk.

the one mister bill i witnessed went as such: they both exit plane interlocked and a friend sets their pilot out the door. they tumble unstable before the canopy deploys and their bridal wraps about 3 times around them. they fall out of sight while everyone on the plane gasps... (they got out of it and deployed by 3000'.....

(i think i will pass).

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Cajones and I did a Mr. Bill last fall on his Samarui 150, and we're not little people by any means... It was out of a cessna 206, i climbed into the V, he crawled out on the step in front of me. I wrapped my arms around his torso, between his rig and his back, but not locking hands or anything. He threw right off the step and it was perfect. Had the forces been to strong, i would have slipped off. I slipped down to around his legs. with my camera on, it's a pretty cool video. the way i was holding onto him shift a ton of weight in his harness and we were spinning... It's fun. Try it with someone who knows what they're doing, and like everyone has said, don't attach yourself with any gear.
http://www.exitshot.com

Passenger holds tightly to the harness, and wraps his legs around.

Also, make sure the passenger holds onto the driver's harness BELOW the reserve handle, and the driver holds the passenger's harness ABOVE the reserve handle.....if the force of deployment rips you apart, you'll be less likely to pull each others' reserves.

Don