slotperfect

Vans (On Your Feet) - Why Do You Wear Them?

I see a ton of skydivers wearing Vans. I am simply trying to find out why they make that choice.

Hmmm... like a lot of things along these lines, its probably a lot less "scientific" then you think... its probably just "style"... most skydivers are just lemmings when it comes to such things... :P:S:)

Yup except me:ph34r:http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=70696;:ph34r::ph34r:I'm an individual:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

You know... This forum has me thinking.

I went into a Boston Cafe and ordered something once.

The lady behind the counter said, "You are not from around here, are you?"

I asked, why?

She said, "Look at your shoes... I mean, come on."

I was wearing my favorite pair of Merrell boots, something like: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47871537&parent_category_rn=0

I guess in Boston, they don't have mountains to climb, not that I climb mountains at home...

So all this Vans hubub... I just don't see anyone wearing them at home...

Except for RJMoney - who moved back to California, where he probably belongs... He wears these funky white and black checked vans http://shop.vans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?section=shoes&catalogId=40000000002&storeId=2&productId=203591&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=6903&gender=99&mainPageCat=mens&mainNavCat=1&mainNavSubCat=1&mainNavDept=1111&shopperGroup=null with a torn out toe. We were on the Otter and he was putting on his wingsuit (prodigy) when he realized he needed shoe laces.... He looks at me with a deceitful smile, then eyes my Merrells and looks back at me with an evil grin.

Next thing I know I am flying with these size 13 shoes, with a big hole putting cold Colorado air into my big toe, that would blend in with the black and white checkered floor of a (dirty) 50's diner - and he lands wearing mine. I looked over at him under canopy - and my shoes looked like crap on him, as did his on me...

So, I guess, the point is - the shoes not only make the person, but are unique to the person too.

Note - I do have some other Skaters type shoes, but I never jump with them... Maybe I should?

So all this Vans hubub... I just don't see anyone wearing them at home...

Dude, I wear Vans... in the sky and the tunnel. :P

I've had at least one pair of Vans in my closet for the last 20 years or so. I've got a couple different colors now.

Plus, they are nice to slide across grass with and if I lose one, they aren't very expensive to replace.

I'm a SoCal guy at heart I guess. B|
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Everybody knows vans are gay.

Real skydivers wear chuckies, preferably in purple.

SHOW me the purple Chucks B|B|B|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

nick those are fighting words, checkered slip on vans rule. all i do is extoll the coolness of your fury to people and you come back and insult the slip on vans? i mean if there was ever a personal attack i think that counts.
late,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

Note - I do have some other Skaters type shoes, but I never jump with them... Maybe I should?

Skate shoes all the way. www.asylumskate.com. Those fellas hook me up. From Vans to DC to Fallen, Airwalk,Globe, Emerica, Etnies. Some shoes designed by skaters that brutalize shoes. Some full leather coverage, excellent heel support and overall foot support. Great colors, great style. If you like a little SoCal style on your feet call the fellas at Asylum Skate tell them the crazy skyman sent you. My feet are well protected. They have cool comfy padded socks there that are worth every dime for a skydiver. I swoop hardcore nearly every jump now and slide on my feet alot. In Perris i'd slide in the dirt between the grass and the hangar on the hard packed dirt. Did it a couple a thousand times. I'd make my shoes last longer by buying real skate shoes and by sliding on one at a time sometimes placing the non sliding foot over my head then switch then touchdown with both sliding to a stop going sideways leaving a dirt rooster tail behind. Sometimes a person would comment 'that was crazy, L....! Hence my name.

My favs right now have been the Emerica line. I have narrowed down my search for the most comfy long lasting protection. I've bought the same style the past 3 sets of shoes. I keep my shoes fairly fresh. I let the padding get a bit broken down but not totally worn out when i change my shoes. I've had a long lasting heel bruise that used to get reinjured sliding in cheap shoes, now i spend the extra cash for the good stuff and it has paid off wearing these shoes and changing them out regularly. I still do an average of 750 jumps a year.

My current Emerica shoes are discontinued, I bought 2 of the last pair that would fit me 'cause i was told they no longer make the shoe. Some of my past favs that are still available to buy are Etnies Arto Sari's black and camo, they have a sort of rubber vinyl over the toe and along the sides and back great for sliding on hard terrain,vented on the sides and toe, good summer shoes and pond swooping. I like the Etnies Callicut for jumping too. The DC line rocks too. The DC company takes pride in conservation as well by using all tough synthetic materials, no animals are killed to make their shoes. I like the DC Pure line and DC Coast line of shoes for skydiving, similar style like Vans just more durable and comfy. Comfy is a big key for me. Good luck on your search.

Sometimes a person would comment 'that was crazy, L....! Hence my name.

And i thought you got the name from doing stuff like this.:D:D For me, this was crazy, especailly their breakoff :o

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Oh ya ! That too. Hey man, i was'nt the craziest on thar load. Others did way more crazy stuff on that jump. I was the safe one!!!

WE were the safe ones, those two idiots with boards strapped to their feet were a different story.:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I remembered this thread somewhere around 12.5K above Skydive Santa Barbara while visiting friends...

I had on brand spanking new Globe www.globe.tv skate shoes on and I was jumping my wingsuit... One of the reasons I got them was the flat bottoms would make putting on the booties very easy - and they seemed comfy for skydiving - and the bottoms of them were flat enough that surfing across the ground a bit sounded fun.

My wing/right foot caught the door on exit - and my brand spanking new shoe went flying into never-never land... I would have chased it if flying a wingsuit with half a leg wing was not fun enough.

Well I called Globe today - and they are sending me a free shoe! So - all you van's wearers - if you want to break the mold and try something new - Globe has great customer service - at least to me!