JENNR8R

Say Something Good About Your Dad

I think it's interesting that the replies on this thread swing from adoration to disgust of the Dads.

Dads certainly evoke strong feelings in people...
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

My dad is the MOST awesome, wonderful, loving, kind, supportive, fun, and just amazing person. I love him more than anything and adore him like no one will ever know. I miss him everyday and try to see him as often as possible. He's my hero and I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have him for my dad. :)

My dad died of smoking related complications in December of 2004. I still miss him terribly.

He spent his life making sure that my mom and my sister and I were all taken care of financially.

He taught me:
-family is important
-being silly and funny makes life more fun.
-to edit my writing...brevity is best
-to love the Cardinals
-to stand up for what i believe in

I could go on and on...I am just so grateful that he had an opportunity to meet my (now) husband and his daughter....that he got to know my (now) family. He was not around for the wedding, but was a part of the early planning. He knew he would not be there.
I love you, Daddy.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

Dad has been gone since 1985 (he was only 60 and I was 30 when he died) I think he was the greatest example of making something out of nothing. He grew up the youngest of eight in coal mining country in KY. He never graduated HS. After Army in WW2 he got his GED and graduated college. He was a great architect and home builder. He was a man of integrity, who made my name synonomous with good quality and good character in a small town in TX. I miss you dad, today as much as yesterday. Until we meet again!

steveOrino

My dad is one of the most influential people in my life. Even though I may get upset at him for things he says or does, i'm sure i'm much more to put up with on a daily basis.

He is my best friend and knows everything about me...he always supports me in whatever I do and has always told me to trust God and follow my heart in whatever I do. He is constantly understanding and supportive and never judgemental.

He always helps me out and whatever way he can and only wants to see me succeed and do my best at whatever I want to put my mind to.

There's alot more but I dont wanna ramble. I hope I can become half the man he is. :)
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

My dad is plain and simple a good person. He is honest, he cares about people and he loves my mom so much. (He loves me and my brother too, but he is still absolutely nuts over my mom.:)

Wow, Karen, that sounds an awful lot like my dad, too.

My dad taught me unconditional love. He taught me respect. He taught me patience. He has the biggest heart of anyone I know, and he wears it right out there on his sleeve.

In many ways I am my father's child. I take after him physically, but also in personality. We're both expressive, emotional, and wear our hearts on our sleeves. Neither of us has ever known a stranger, they're just friends we haven't yet met.

I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My old man passed away in February of last year. He was diagnosed with cancer about a year earlier but he never said a negative word about it. He kept a positive attitude throughout the radiation and chemo treatments - still smoked a cigarette before every treatment too :D:D. He never once gave me any crap over the skydving, motorcycling, scuba diving, or cliff jumping on skis - every time I ended up in the emergency room (which happened on numerous occasions) he just said "Well, that figures". Always generous with advice, time, and money. He was really great and it sure feels empty without the old guy around.

Happy Father's Day, Pops.

Peace,
Z

Action©Sports

The one good thing about my Dad is that he doesn't live near me.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I am at a loss as to what to say about my dad. Over the years I can say he did and has tried to be a father.The problem was he never took the time to learn how to be the father. I am just thankful he is alive no matter how he has been towards me. One day hopefully soon he will open his eye and become that person I know he can be, not just for me but for him.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

My father has been smoking 2 packs a day since he was 11 and is now 77. It's finally catching up to him though the addiction is still there. He unhooks the oxygen to go outside smoke at this point. He's always been gruff and in his own world though never hurtful. He just doesn't like to talk.

My father said he loved me after years of not thinking it was necessary because we should "know it". I was grateful. I don't know how long he'll be around or anything else about his soul or feelings, but he did give me that and that took a lot for him. :)
Fathers, don't ever assume your child or loved ones know you love them if you don't ever say it. It needs to be said.

My Daddy died 3 and a half years ago very suddenly and very young (60). We were never close while I was an adult, but he made me (and a lot of other people) laugh a lot, he is remembered for his jokes and his smile.

I try and smile more and make people laugh more since he died as I feel his work wasn't done when he died.
www.sneale-create.com

My father is great in a lot of ways. Here is a picture of his first tandem, about 3 years ago. He wants to make another on his 90th birthday, in about 1 1/2 years :ph34r:. He has a steady girlfriend and goes dancing (but not with her) about once a week. He's also blind, and does all this.

He's an example that life is what you make of it all of his life. He went blind about 10 years ago; that's been very hard for him, but he still travels to visit each of my brothers at least once a year.

Edit to add: Interestingly enough, when asked after his jump how skydiving rated on a scale of 1 to 10, he thought for a few seconds, then said it was about an 8 :ph34r:.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My Dad is a really amazing person. He had a very hard life, and a worse family, and came out of it all like a shiny new penny. He still loves my mom more than anything else. They still dance in the kitchen.

My husband and I recently tagged along on his second (first non-military) tandem, and he had a great time. He got down and said that he understands now how I love it so much. He has all of the compassion in the world, and accepts people for who they are. He sees the good in everyone.

I truly believe that my dad would give me anything and everything just to see me smile. :)
He has a funny, quiet sense of humor. He knows how to say sappy things and not make them seem sappy. He's proud of my accomplishments, but he wouldn't feel any differently about me if I had never accomplished anything.

He really is just one of those people that everyone loves.

I'm lucky to have him.

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

My father left this earth almost six years ago. He taught me many, many things. I was the apple of his eye and he never hid that fact from anyone. When it became evident that he was ill and not going to get better, we spent a great deal of time together just talking about his life. I will treasure that year forever. My dad was the greatest!! His final breath was taken in my arms, and we were OK.
Before I exit the plane, I always ask him to hold me in his hands until I am safely on the ground. I believe he does :)

I've been avoiding this thread like the plague. Then I thought, what the fuck, just read it... maybe stories of good dads will inspire me to continue to try to be a good dad. But I also feared I'd get depressed, hearing of people who had good dads. It was comforting in a weird sort of way to read what some who had real fuck-ups as dads had to say. That's certainly my story as well...

Out of all the things I COULD say about my dad, here's the one good thing his sorry life of fuck-ups has taught me... don't let history repeat itself.

He was a horrible father. A career philanderer. Abusive, neglectful, selfish, self-absorbed, lacking any ambition, faithless, Godless, and filthy.

And he realized far to late that you only get one chance to raise your kids and if you fuck it up, well, then you blew it. There are no do-overs. Once the kids are grown, they're grown. And when they don't want to have anything to do w/ you - because you wanted nothing to do with them while they were growing up - well, you just have to live with your loneliness in your old age. The grown kids MAY forgive you, but then again, they may not. The wounds of "fatherlessness" are very deep and are hard to heal.

Isn't that sad? When you have kids, there is really only ONE important thing... to raise them well. And to fail at that and as a result to live the rest of your life w/o a legacy and to live in a self-made prison of isolation, well that's just sad.

So again, the one good thing I learned from my dad is that history is important. It's important to know what mistakes to NOT make again. But I find myself making them again sometimes. There is truth in those old cliche's... "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and "he's a chip off the old block" etc. etc. etc.

Of course, I'm not the same man he was and is. I love my kids. I spend far more time w/ THEM that he ever did with me. I don't cheat on my wife. I try to not live like a lawless slob. But still, those ingrained lessons learned from an early age sometimes rear up.

But then Father's Day rolls around and I'm reminded yet again that there is a man on the other side of the country that I DO NOT want to call. And it spurs me on to be the man he never was, that he never will be. And it convicts me that I MUST be that man for my kids. They are counting on me. I'm their only father. They are my legacy. And I don't want that to be a legacy of hurt and hate.

Attached: 3 of my 4 wonderful kids and a VERY proud dad.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...