JENNR8R

Say Something Good About Your Dad

Bumping this thread as today (Sept 20)

I'll respond since September is a real hard month for me, since my dad's death. My dad was the greatest single influence in my life. He always told me I could do and be anything I dreamed to be, but he always worried about me when he thought I was doing something too dangerous. He was still alive (but was dying) when I started skydiving, and I could tell he had mixed feelings about my desire to jump in the sky. He thought it was dangerous, but could tell that I loved it. He knew that I loved all outdoor activities, but he also knew that although I didn't show it much, I enjoyed doing the "finer" things such as going out to musicals, art galleries, shows things of that nature. Every summer while I was a kid growing up, he used to cut fresh roses from the garden, put them in a vase, and put them on my dresser. They smelled so beautifully, and is probably the one reason why the rose is my favorite flower today. My dad was very knowledgable, and was always improving his mind with historical shows, and articles on basically everything. My dad was always there for both my brother and I when we needed help. He always answered my questions, and when he didn't know the answer, he would go and find out then let me know. My dad always tried to incorporate everyone's likes while trying to plan family outings, and doing things together as a family. He was basically into many different aspects of life, and could do almost anything. My dad was great at home improvement, along with car maintenance, supporting my brother and I in our activities, showing us how to do other things, always interested in our lives, and was just a wonderful person. My dad was one of the most amazing people that I ever had in my life! July 17, 2002 was one of the hardest days ever, and still is. He was always proud of me, of everything I did, and I miss him.

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

My dad died in Vietnam in 1968 (I was 10). I can remember so much about him so vividly, yet have a hard time remembering some of the guys I went to high school with.

If I could say anything to him, I'd tell him I still think of him almost every day, and I'd apologize for never having visited his grave in Arlington. I've been outside the gates 3 times now, and couldn't bring myself to go in. On my one and only visit to The Wall, I broke down as soon as I saw his name, and left shortly thereafter. Yet I've been to literally dozens of funerals since then and never had any emotional control problems.

Dad, I'm proud of the man you were, and I think you'd have been happy with how your son turned out. I wish I could have known you as an adult, beacause you were everything to me as a kid.

Don
"When in doubt I whip it out,
I got me a rock-and-roll band.
It's a free-for-all."

My Dad rocks. He was my best friend for years and we could practically communicate simply by sight. All we had to do was make eye contact and we'd know what the other was thinking and burst into laughter. We played racquetball together and he helped me with my calculus and physics in college. His love for my kids is tremendous and I don't take for granted the blessing that we're given with each day that he's able to spend with us.

Yeah, my Dad rocks and I love him. Why? Because he's him.

Blue skies and happy landings!

Good thread. My dad has ALWAYS been there for me when I needed him both for good and bad times. He was tough on me though too which I appreciate for teaching me to have strong morals and stick to them. He taught me to earn what I want in life and never give up. He had odd hours in his job when I was young but whenever he had any spare time he would of course do those fun father/son stuff with me which I always looked forward to. Was involved in boy scouts with me and was just an all around great guy. I hope I can live up to his standards and not let him down. So far I think I'm doing pretty good.:)

The best thing my father did was to die. At the end the bastard cheated an died in a comma.
at his funeral I spat in his dead face.
After his death I stopped hating an found a peace that has stayed with me since.

Gone fishing

my dad is awesome :) he always tries to stay up to date with things that are "in" - especially in music :) he cracks me up - i laughed my ass off when my 60yr old dad came home with the black eyed peas album and was like "hey you ever hear of these guys - they're pretty good - they've got good beats on some songs" - though some he has no problem going right over...

he even has a myspace page- which some of you were awesome enough to join :)

my dad rocks :) pain in the ass at times - but it makes me love him even more!
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

my dad is awesome :) he always tries to stay up to date with things that are "in" - especially in music :) he cracks me up - i laughed my ass off when my 60yr old dad came home with the black eyed peas album and was like "hey you ever hear of these guys - they're pretty good - they've got good beats on some songs" - though some he has no problem going right over...

Cool! We are going to that concert on Dec. 1...would he like to join us? B|
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'm a "Daddy's Girl" for sure. When I was young, we used to take a drive to just talk about life and random things. He knew that I had difficulty opening up to my mom but that since he was not judgmental or critical, I would open up to him. Even my deepest darkest secrets and bad decisions/mistakes, he loves me anyway. I could also trust him to keep those secrets between us. He hasn't ever told my mom any of it. He's shared secrets with me as well which I will never share. We have a special trust and bond like that...it's priceless. He's my best friend who without a doubt loves me unconditionally and would do anything in his power to see me happy...and vice versa. His mom, my grandma Pearl died when he was only 14 yrs old (worst day of his life) and as he's described her heart, her unconditional love and mercy for others, her demeanor...he is simply carrying out her legacy.

I dread the day that I lose him as it will be the worst day of my life on earth, but I know that we'll rejoin on the other side and pick up where we left off.:)

Mom raised all 8 kids on her own.

Psalm 127:3-5
Children are a gift from God; they are his reward. Children born to a young man are like sharp arrows to defend him. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them... LB

According to the scriptures, he was a happy man. :)

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Cool! We are going to that concert on Dec. 1...would he like to join us? B|

i'm sure he would :)
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

My dad died in Vietnam in 1968 (I was 10). I can remember so much about him so vividly, yet have a hard time remembering some of the guys I went to high school with.

If I could say anything to him, I'd tell him I still think of him almost every day, and I'd apologize for never having visited his grave in Arlington. I've been outside the gates 3 times now, and couldn't bring myself to go in. On my one and only visit to The Wall, I broke down as soon as I saw his name, and left shortly thereafter. Yet I've been to literally dozens of funerals since then and never had any emotional control problems.

Dad, I'm proud of the man you were, and I think you'd have been happy with how your son turned out. I wish I could have known you as an adult, beacause you were everything to me as a kid.

Don

That was deeply touching. Thank you for sharing it here.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

i'm often critical of my dad. he was pretty lousy as a father... still is... but i just thought of something good about him...

he tells me sometimes that he's proud of me for not making the same mistakes he has made.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I'm also extremely fortunate to have an incredible dad. The best thing he accomplished was loving my mom. They just celebrated their 50th Anniversary this past May. Like Tonto, my dad is 74 also. He lost his dad when he was only 20 years old. His dad was struck by a car. That was the hardest day in his life as he considered his dad the best friend he ever had. He always tells me that I remind him of his dad. I really like that. My dad is extremely active and can repair anything. He refuses to ever hire a professional to fix something that he can fix, even though he can well afford it. I will say to him "Dad, just hire someone to take care of it and go out and play some golf." But, he's too German; he has to do it himself. He and my mom raised 8 kids and now have 18 grandchildren. He provided a very comfortable life financially and emotionally. He really is a great dad.:)
Eddie's son.

.... He has really mellowed over the years...;)hahahahaha
My Dad always led by example...
Peter and Nellie Tavino raised 5 kids, through the 50's 60's and 70's.... Now we are all fine and raising children of our own...:)My Father is a craftsman... he was a Building contractor who designed and built custom Homes as well as lots of commercial properties..
he also crafted some wonderful furniture pieces, as gifts for my Mom...
Strong work ethic.... good sense of Humor. Loves His wife. loves His kids.
He was tough, however when we were little, and that was in a day and time when parental discipline was much different than it is today... I didn't like him much when I was a kid,,, he was stern, but consistant, and when he said something He meant business...
He was my BOSS for many years, ( mostly weekends and summers) as I and my brothers worked for His company, as laborers, and carpenters... We learned alot.... though did not recognize its value, while we were experiencing it ...
Dad just had his 80th Birthday... and is doing great...
While we can stay in touch through phone calls and emails. I do regret that I have chosen to make MY home ,,,, 350 Miles away from HIS home..[:/]
I wish I could make a 15 minute drive, and be pulling into his driveway....:|

edited to add some jpegs.....# 1 is 1954
# 2 is Our Daughter and her Grandpa # 3 is ..on the job and # 4 is a Birthday pic.:)

It was rare in my life that I didn't have something good to say about my dad. My dad is my hero, always has been. I can honestly say he never did anything that disappointed me. I am such a daddy's girl, we just enjoyed each other's company. I would work out in the yard with him, watch football or indy racing together, we loved talking politics and history, skiied together and were comfortable hanging out with each other.

Our personalities are a lot alike and if you haven't figured it out...I have a bit of a hero worship thing for my dad.

He died in a skiing accident May 4 2001.

The best thing about my relationship with my dad is that when he died suddenly and we didn't have any chance to say a "last goodbye"...we didn't need it. I always knew exactly how he felt about me and he knew how I felt about him.

I love him and I miss him...and I'll be eternally grateful for how he raised me.

Now...where's the thread about our mom's...cause I'd say the same thing about her!

I'm so blessed to have incredible parents!!
To borrow a line from Squeak...MY LIFE ROCKS!! HOW'S YOURS??!!!

The best thing about my relationship with my dad is that when he died suddenly and we didn't have any chance to say a "last goodbye"...we didn't need it. I always knew exactly how he felt about me and he knew how I felt about him.

THAT says a lot of good things about the BOTH of you! B|

steveOrino

Do I have to? [:/]

No, but there has to be something good you could say. If nothing else, he could have been a good example of how not to raise children.

I doubt that many people had a worse father than I did. But it doesn't do me any good to dwell on the negative.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.