Twoply

Can someone knowledgeable about electricity explain something to me?

Everyone says that if you knock a hairdryer into the bathtub with you, you'll automatically die. Yeah, yeah yeah. But nobody can ever explain the why behind it more than, "Uh, electricity and water don't mix, stupid." "One tenth of one amp will kill you." I've heard all these and I've had formal schooling in electricity.

I'm not one to just believe things. I want to know why this happens. Do the electrons from the hot line flow from the line, through the impurities in water, to the tub's drain creating a ground? If so, isn't the path of least resistance a direct shot to the tub's copper? Then why would there be any "shock" to the person in the tub?

Or does the line's amps flow through the entire tub to the copper thus killing you?

Everyone says that if you knock a hairdryer into the bathtub with you, you'll automatically die. Yeah, yeah yeah. But nobody can ever explain the why behind it more than, "Uh, electricity and water don't mix, stupid." "One tenth of one amp will kill you." I've heard all these and I've had formal schooling in electricity.

I'm not one to just believe things. I want to know why this happens. Do the electrons from the hot line flow from the line, through the impurities in water, to the tub's drain creating a ground? If so, isn't the path of least resistance a direct shot to the tub's copper? Then why would there be any "shock" to the person in the tub?

Or does the line's amps flow through the entire tub to the copper thus killing you?

You act as a conductor along with the water, so the charge earths out through you
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Well..

The main thing that might kill you with a hairdryer would be the current buildup in the tub water would conduct through you and effect your heart in a bad way.

When all of those hair raising elements in the drier hit the water, it usually can conduct enough current to hurt you through the water

Umm... despite popular belief water by itself will not conuct electricity very well, but tap water, and particullary tub water have a lot of electrolytes (aka ions) in it, thereby making the water more conductive.

So, most modern hairdryers have GFI style plugs that look for a difference in the current going out to the current coming in. If the difference is great enough, it usually means that the device is shorting to ground, and it kicks off the circuit, thereby saving your dumb ass for another day of drying your hair in the tub.

Did I answer the question? I'm pretty bad at explaining this sort of thing.

The way you die quickly from electrical shock is that it interupts your hearts electrical rthym. Your heart stops beating litterally. Normally we can take a little shocking here and there because of the resistance of our skin and shoes ecetera. In the bathtub all bets are off. You have enough power and no resistance as the water conducts and your whole house plumbing system is grounded = no resistance and full power way more than enough.

not likely to happen now a days bathroom outlets are run with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)

you will notice that an outlet in your bathroom has the test and reset button on it, if not...........go ahead and float test a hair dryer whilst soaking in the tub.......... dont forget to set up the video bud;)

oh dont forget to yell "CLEAR" before you frib.....

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

do a google search on "ohm's law"

basically a small amount of amperage can kill you, but you have to have ALOT of voltage to drive the amperage through your body, without the voltage, the amps don't matter....

A little bit more to this...
Ohms law says that voltage equals current times resistance. So a high resistance (say 500,000 ohms - about the resistance of dry skin) with 120 volts of electricy will be a paltry amount of current - not even enough to tingle. However, if you lower the resistance say 1000 ohms - the resistance of wet skin, the current now becomes deadly even though it is still less than an amp.

I have a powerpoint of this that I cover with my physics class when we go over ohms law if you'd like me to send it to you.
Scars remind us that the past is real

Ahh,... ok. When you are in the tub, your wetted skin's resistance is much much lower. Now send in the same amount of current and it becomes lethal.

I never thought of your resistance being lowered. How obvious, but I never thought of that.
Thats why I asked.
Thanks

Now send in the same amount of current and it becomes lethal.

Its the voltage that stays the same, that is the one thing you can't change. You do change resistance (lower it) which cause current to go up (killing you).

but you got the picture now. :)
Scars remind us that the past is real

Man all that shit they told you about electricity is bull. We have been doing electric 8-ways for years and have not killed anyone yet. Although Robbie Rob in Tallahassee was a close one. All you need to know about electricity is don't grab both wires at the same time and never let the smoke out. You'll be fine.

do a google search on "ohm's law"

basically a small amount of amperage can kill you, but you have to have ALOT of voltage to drive the amperage through your body, without the voltage, the amps don't matter....

A little bit more to this...
Ohms law says that voltage equals current times resistance. So a high resistance (say 500,000 ohms - about the resistance of dry skin) with 120 volts of electricy will be a paltry amount of current - not even enough to tingle. However, if you lower the resistance say 1000 ohms - the resistance of wet skin, the current now becomes deadly even though it is still less than an amp.

I have a powerpoint of this that I cover with my physics class when we go over ohms law if you'd like me to send it to you.

that is why I said "basically".

:P

Now send in the same amount of current and it becomes lethal.

Its the voltage that stays the same, that is the one thing you can't change. You do change resistance (lower it) which cause current to go up (killing you).

but you got the picture now. :)

Better than most of your students, eh?
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

That would be tough do they even know what they want?

All i want is a man that likes to go for long drives on country roads and eat ice cream.

Hold out for a hayride and hand-cranked!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

That would be tough do they even know what they want?

All i want is a man that likes to go for long drives on country roads and eat ice cream.

Hold out for a hayride and hand-cranked!!

Ive actually offered her my hand cranked cream, I got turned down because I lacked the proper insurance card for her.....:P:P
Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

Man all that shit they told you about electricity is bull. We have been doing electric 8-ways for years and have not killed anyone yet. Although Robbie Rob in Tallahassee was a close one. All you need to know about electricity is don't grab both wires at the same time and never let the smoke out. You'll be fine.

*twitch* I survived a two way electric star with some coked out guy from ?holland? *twitch*

The dangers of 120 are over rated. *twitch* :ph34r:B|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

We have been doing electric 8-ways for years and have not killed anyone yet.

8-ways are too big. i prefer 4 or 5-ways and the occasional 3-way. my balls have never been big enough to do a 2-way, but i saw 1 guy do a really short solo once.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

not likely to happen now a days bathroom outlets are run with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI)

you will notice that an outlet in your bathroom has the test and reset button on it, if not...........go ahead and float test a hair dryer whilst soaking in the tub.......... dont forget to set up the video bud;)

oh dont forget to yell "CLEAR" before you frib.....

Kitchen outlets around the sink also are required to have GFCI. If you're in an older house that hasn't been upgraded, you're fucked. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Think of it as the water being liquid Wire, and the electricity will go through you too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

We have been doing electric 8-ways for years and have not killed anyone yet.

8-ways are too big. i prefer 4 or 5-ways and the occasional 3-way. my balls have never been big enough to do a 2-way, but i saw 1 guy do a really short solo once.

I've gone down to 3 ways twice. Your arms feel like a jackhammer going full blast. :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

*twitch* I survived a two way electric star with some coked out guy from ?holland? *twitch*

The dangers of 120 are over rated. *twitch* :ph34r:B|

That was at z-hills right? And you guys called it a tie? I think I remember that.

Didn't someone piss themselves from that night?