Amazon

Cessna Caravan crashed in the Cascades-Skydivers on board

My heart is breaking over this. [:/]

I didn't know most of the jumpers on the plane and I had only met Casey a time or two.

I haven't jumped in several years but I know many many people both at Kapowsin and Snohomish including Kelly, the brother of one of the jumpers onboard. Those of you who have been around Snohomish for a while will recognize me. Rhonda and my husband, Big Daddy, and Dr. Barry would like to email Kelly. I recognize some of the names on this thread so if any of you have Kelly's email address, please send it to me via private message. I would also like to know about any memorials that will be happening.

My thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones and friends.

Thanks,

Rhonda Bailey

We can only hold the families and friends of our fellow skydivers close to heart. It’s a great loss for the community as a whole, to loose so many of our brothers and sisters to such a tragic event.

As skydivers, we always prepare ourselves on skydives for this type of situation with the take-offs and landings. Something not so expected on the travel part of a flight.

Here’s some information found on both CBS and a link for one of the local news broadcasts.

(CBS/AP) Searchers combing through wreckage Tuesday found the last three victims among 10 killed when their plane crashed in Washington's rugged central Cascade Range on their way home from a skydiving event.

Bodies of seven of the 10 people aboard were found Monday. Recovery crews found the rest on Tuesday, said Nisha Marvel, spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation's aviation division.

The aircraft was found Monday evening at about 7:40 p.m. at the 4,600-foot level in the White Pass area, reports CBS affiliate KIMA-TV. The tail was missing from the plane, and has not been found.

The debris at the remote crash site indicated that the Cessna Caravan 208 went down in a steep nosedive, Yakima County Sheriff Ken Irwin told a news conference at a command center.

The plane left Star, Idaho, near Boise, on Sunday evening en route to Shelton, Wash., northwest of Olympia, but did not arrive. It had been returning from a skydiving meet in Idaho when it disappeared…..

© MMVII, CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click here for updated report from NWCN.com

http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/NW_100907WAB_plane_crash_families_TP.15415e906.html

I am so so sorry to hear this. My condolences to the family and friends of the lost skydivers. My heart goes out to the DZO too. As a former DZO this is the worst nightmare to face. Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers.

Bobbi Owens
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

I will be there in thought, god bless all who have endured
this painful tragedy. please post the time and date.

From what I understand it's not a public event and given the media attention focused on this incident, I fully support Jaye's choice not to post the info and encourage everyone to be judicious in posting information about services out of respect for the family and friends who want to gather together in peace to remember our loved ones.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I feel the loss of family members, yet I knew no one on board. I'm sure the feelings would have been mutual in an opposite scenario...this is what makes our sport so unique and exceptional. My condolences to everyone, especially those closest to this tragedy.

BSBD

Maybe we should leave our packs on when travelling cross-country, even if loosely. Sad to think that all could have been saved by wearing their chutes.

Your thinking is wrong! Get educated.

Uh, get educated? What's that about? Having your pack losely secured is a bad idea whilst traveling in an acft with a door that is likely a roll-up type?

To Quote from Amazons earlier post:

I am not sure if they had the regular door in place but when I have gone on a couple of these trips.. the standard door is reinstalled and the jump door is rolled all the way up inside untill you get to the destination and offload the seats and doors etc and reconfigure the airplane for jump operations.

I am not sure if that would have made a differance. It does you no good to wear a rig if you cant get out the door. I have never been on a caravan with a regular door, I dont know how easy it would be to get that door open in an in flight emergency.

Well, if you were belted you wouldn't be thrown to the back. You could then try to grab your way to the back and open the door. Not sure which door opens first but either way I could find a way out. Whether it would be easy or not, I would want to have a chance, even if a 1% chance.

Sad to think that all could have been saved by wearing their chutes.

I thought about this a bit, too, but you must realize, if the pilot was doing his best, but still diving fast, no one could have exited, the force is too great.

aaahh poop.

Wich force, the wind force on the door, if installed, or the aft G force stuffing a person into the tailcone? We don't really know what happened, but a chite on is a chance, even tho they are uncomfy.

I will be there in thought, god bless all who have endured
this painful tragedy. please post the time and date.

From what I understand it's not a public event and given the media attention focused on this incident, I fully support Jaye's choice not to post the info and encourage everyone to be judicious in posting information about services out of respect for the family and friends who want to gather together in peace to remember our loved ones.

If the location isn't the DZ, then posting the time and date will allow others the chance to remember at the same time, wherever they might be, while still keeping the location and event private.

This is not the place to hold an in depth debate about this, I would be more then happy to talk about it here, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2974076#2974076 when I return this afternoon, in the mean time there is a lot of good reading there to help you learn from earlier accidents. (see/read reports loadstar in WA and Beech 18 Honolulu)

And then you go an write thi:

Would they have been wearing their rigs that whole time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have & I would sit next to the door if at all possible to improve my odds of getting out if we had to, but I don't know what others would do.

So you would wear your rig and would sit by the door, but then tell me to get educated when I suggest wearing chutes, in all thier discomfort is a good and you say a worthless propsition and that I should get educated.

I don't need your ego, I don't care how old you are and you probably have a VERY wrong idea of my education/experience.

The fact that you even have to ask as well as your following posts, proves my point. If you would like to debate this to a greater detail, please seek out the thread in safety & training and Please let's have some respect & leave this thread for exchanges about the current well wishes and thoughts ONLY!
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo