Amazon

Cessna Caravan crashed in the Cascades-Skydivers on board

Wich force, the wind force on the door, if installed, or the aft G force stuffing a person into the tailcone? We don't really know what happened, but a chite on is a chance, even tho they are uncomfy.

Believe me... the forces involved would preclude putting on your rig if it was in a spin or out of control..even IF you had your rig on.. I seriously doubt you would be able to open the standard door under those circumstances..

People please.. lets not get off on tangents here.. the world is watching.

I agree with you Jeanne. Everyone can all say this and that and the what ifs all they want. The fact is we have lost 10 people close to us some of whome I have jumped with. If there was a way out and time allowed I'm sure they would have done it. Fact is 10 lives are lost. END OF STORY

BSBD

CSA #699 Muff #3804

The fact that you even have to ask as well as your following posts, proves my point. If you would like to debate this to a greater detail, please seek out the thread in safety & training and Please let's have some respect & leave this thread for exchanges about the current well wishes and thoughts ONLY!

Better yet to PM.

Wich force, the wind force on the door, if installed, or the aft G force stuffing a person into the tailcone? We don't really know what happened, but a chite on is a chance, even tho they are uncomfy.

Believe me... the forces involved would preclude putting on your rig if it was in a spin or out of control..even IF you had your rig on.. I seriously doubt you would be able to open the standard door under those circumstances..

People please.. lets not get off on tangents here.. the world is watching.

*SIGH* Go back and read the thread from page 7, I wrote that perhaps we could wear our rigs loosely in case a horribly, possibly catastrophic event like this were to occur. I have never supposed that we could throw the rigs on while be jousted about.

I agree, odds are with your rig on that you wouldn't get out, but we do a bunch of things to give us that edge. Most people with AAD's never us them, most people with RSL's/Skyhooks would be able to get the reserve out w/o them, but these little things we do can be the difference.

To the friends and family of those on this plane, my sincere condolences.

I lost a friend on this plane. To those of you who knew Bryan, who want to see pictures of him taken last month at a very special time (a jump I organized on the Big Island of Hawaii), email me and I will direct you towards the pix.

Blue Skies, Bryan.

-Dave

*SIGH* Go back and read the thread from page 7, I wrote that perhaps we could wear our rigs loosely in case a horribly, possibly catastrophic event like this were to occur. I have never supposed that we could throw the rigs on while be jousted about.

Ever tried sitting in a small aircraft seat???

If the seat does not have any of the standard padding there would be a little more room but a rig is thicker than the padding you find on the type of seats used in these Cessnas.

Now think about how uncomfortable it would be if you had your rig in there as well..Hell just sitting with ANY rig on in any kind of seat forces you too far forward.. not going to happen so most people do not wear them on these trips that can last for hours. When we took the Twin Otter to Mesquite for the Lucky Boogie.. it was 7 hours with a stop in Nampa ID to refuel. Ever worn a rig for that many hours?

I agree that wearing a rig would be a good thing.. but somewhat impractical in actual practice.

Our friends did what most of us do on these trips... stowed their gear.. it was there just in case.. but once the airplane is not flying in a normal flight attitude... you stand little chance of getting into it.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bryan while in CO for the CPC Championships. He and Tom came down to CO together. Although Bryan didn't quite perform as well as he had hoped, all the while he had a big smile on his face. It was such a pleasure getting to jump with him (he was on my pass) and getting to share stories and good times at the end of each day we were there. He was the only person there with a higher exit weight then me, although he was jumping a 118 and I was on a 120. We made fun of each other for it. I was really looking forward to seeing Bryan again at swoop comps around the country and it saddens me deeply that it won't happen. Such a very good guy and I only got to know him for a few days. My heart goes out to his close friends and family, as does it for everyone else.

Bryan was a good guy and I worked with him for 3 years. We put in a lot of jumps together back in 2003 and 2004 when he was just starting out. there were several of us at that time who had similar fall rates.

He also hated the Amazon hugs.. I dont think he liked being womanhandlded like thatB|...but I would hug him at boogies in spite of himself... he was good people and I knew him better than all the others.. I will miss his sence of humour and his intellect.

I had the pleasure of meeting Bryan while in CO for the CPC Championships. He and Tom came down to CO together. Although Bryan didn't quite perform as well as he had hoped, all the while he had a big smile on his face. It was such a pleasure getting to jump with him (he was on my pass) and getting to share stories and good times at the end of each day we were there. He was the only person there with a higher exit weight then me, although he was jumping a 118 and I was on a 120. We made fun of each other for it. I was really looking forward to seeing Bryan again at swoop comps around the country and it saddens me deeply that it won't happen. Such a very good guy and I only got to know him for a few days. My heart goes out to his close friends and family, as does it for everyone else.

We had the same conversation many a time while I worked up at Snohomish. Bryan was a really nice guy and a lot of fun jump with. This whole incident is just hard to believe. It's really hard to wrap your mind around something like this :(

Action©Sports

>I don't need your ego, I don't care how old you are. . .

Enough. No personal attacks. People are dealing with enough without having to deal with two posters going after each other.

I agree with Bill. Lets be caring and constructive.

What can we the skydiving community do for the family and friends left behind. If anyone at their home DZ needs anything from us please let us know.

Know that all of our prayer are with all of you.

Fly free in eternal blue skies my brothers and sisters.

[:/]

Lando Atkin
Casey Craig
Bryan Jones
Hollie Raspberry
Jeff Ross
Andy Smith
" "> Ralph Abdo

Michelle Barker
Cecil Elsner
Phil Kibler

Five of our own. Please update if the others are DZ dot commers.

[:/]

They're all jumpers; they're all our own.

My heart breaks for their immediate family and friends, and for the whole jumping community.
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

Uh, get educated? What's that about? Having your pack losely secured is a bad idea whilst traveling in an acft with a door that is likely a roll-up type?

Talked to someone who had been in the ac Friday while it was till in ferry config. It was fitted with a standard cargo door.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Just reading the myspace pages. Such a terrible accident. Those myspace messages are very upsetting. I hope the family of these people manage to get through this. This is a terrible moment in time.:(

Yeah, I did the same thing and sat here at my desk and cried, it is such a tragic loss, fly free my friends....[:/]

This was on September 20th, 2003. Bryan's exit weight wasn't as high back then as it was last week (:P) and mine was higher than it would be now...

I think I said it in the 'Blue Skies' forum, but this will always remain the best jump that I ever did.

'Birthday Hybrid Cutaway'

Thanks Bryan and I will miss you buddy. :(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300675,00.html

Family, Friends Mourn 10 Skydivers Killed in Washington Plane Crash
Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WHITE PASS, Wash. —

Ryan Shipley smiled numbly as he reflected on the lives of 10 members of the skydiving group he regarded as family.

Pilot Phil Kibler was the down-to-earth, reliable guy everyone could count on. Jeff Ross teased and played with all the kids. Hollie Rasberry, new to the group, had just gotten her license and threw herself into being part of the skydiving family. Most either studied or worked for family businesses or Microsoft.

Still others found dream jobs in skydiving, rigging and packing parachutes.

All 10 were fun, adventurous people — and all 10 perished when their airplane nose-dived in central Washington's rugged Cascade Mountains. The group had been traveling home from a weekend skydiving trip in Idaho.

Shipley, a 32-year-old skydiver, said he had traveled with all those who crashed Sunday evening.

"So much undone," Shipley said about his 10 pals from Skydive Snohomish, a company that runs a training school and skydiving flights in Snohomish County. "I want my friends back."

Searchers combing through the plane's wreckage Tuesday found the last three victims.

Seven bodies had been found Monday night after the crash site was located, said Nisha Marvel, spokeswoman for the state Department of Transportation's aviation division.

"It was a pretty extensive crash site," Marvel said. "The aircraft was in pieces. It's rough, rugged terrain, and it took about 35 volunteers to comb that recovery area today to find the remaining passengers that had died in the crash."

The debris at the remote site indicated the Cessna Caravan 208 crashed after a steep nosedive, Yakima County Sheriff Ken Irwin said.

Mike Robertson, an aviation safety inspector for the Federal Aviation Administration, said there wasn't an explosion or fire and the plane was found in one spot. Robertson refused to speculate on a cause for the crash or whether weather could have been a factor.

"We have radar information that shows the rapid descent but other than that we have really no hard evidence as to what caused it," Marvel said.

Robertson said Tuesday's focus was on removing the bodies, and that investigators will turn their attention to the aircraft on Wednesday.

Fighting back tears, Kelly Craig, whose 30-year-old brother Casey died in the crash, said the skydivers had made many jumps over the weekend. He doubted they would have been prepared for an emergency jump, with their parachutes at the ready, on the long flight back.

The plane crashed just east of the crest of the Cascades, about five miles south of White Pass and on the edge of the Goat Rocks Wilderness, said Wayne Frudd of Yakima County Search and Rescue.

A hunter in the crash area had alerted authorities Sunday night that a plane might have been in trouble. Tom Peterson of the state Department of Transportation said the hunter saw the aircraft's lights, and "thought the engine sounded like it was working really hard and whining loudly, and then silence after that."

Searchers found the wreckage Monday night after following the scent of fuel to the crash site.

Family, friends and officials said the victims were Casey Craig, of Bothell; Rasberry, 24, of Bellingham; Michelle Barker, 22, of Kirkland; Landon Atkin, 20, of Snohomish; Ross, 28, of Snohomish; Cecil Elsner, 20, of Lake Stevens; Andrew Smith, 20, of Lake Stevens; Bryan Jones, 34, of Redmond; Ralph Abdo, whose age and hometown were unavailable; and Kibler, 46, of the Seattle area.