Amazon

Cessna Caravan crashed in the Cascades-Skydivers on board

Does the FAA know something we don't in the report is shows 10 fatality? I dont agree with the way they do that.

They're (the FAA) probably (my guess) going on the initial crash site reports, along with its been confirmed that 7 are known dead and making the (likely) conclusion that all 10 are deceased.

I'd imagine (or would like to think) they (the FAA) has some guidelines on how to write their preliminary reports.

Its not going to change anything and if they were to find survivors, that would be a good thing. Its all part of "preliminary." I wouldn't beat them up too badly.

Does the FAA know something we don't in the report is shows 10 fatality? I dont agree with the way they do that.

You don't have to agree with it; it's a preliminary report, the very first entry just to get something down on paper and make a record. It is known that 10 people were supposed to be on the plane and at the time of filing they found no survivors. If something changes, they'll amend it in the final report.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'd imagine (or would like to think) they (the FAA) has some guidelines on how to write their preliminary reports.

Despite what some people may think, almost everything the FAA does has a procedure of some sort. Almost nothing is done in an arbitary fashion; especially when it comes to accidents.
quade -

What I was getting at is there should be a missing catagory instead of just injured and fatality.

The issue with that is, that it is not expedient. PM me for details, this is not the place for that discussion.
quade -

i have the same question. i also saw a report that stated that the effort has shifted from a search and rescue to a recovery. the info we has right now is that there are three people who had access to parachutes who were not found in the wreckage. have investigators counted rigs? are they doing a broad search for the missing three? if not, why not? it just doesn't make sense to say there are 10 fatalities when only 7 people have been found.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

Caravans may have deice boots. Since it is not disclosed yet which of the Northwest Caravans we don't know if it had functional boots.

The problem is that the optional deice system on caravans is not designed or approved for flight into known iceing, it is a 'get out of jail' system however it does give pilots flying illegally into icing conditions the confidence to try and fly through or climb out of trouble. This trap has caused the demise of many cessna caravans in the commercial (cargo) world - but may not have anything to do with this incident.

Caravans are certified for flight in known icing conditions. There are several AD's dealing with the vans in the ice however. Basically, get the hell out if you find yourself in the ice.

this is so very sad. my heartfelt condolences go out to the famly and friends of the deceased as well as the skydiving community as a whole. may their souls fly free..... BSBD :(

Next time a sunrise steals your breath or a meadow of flowers leaves you speechless, remain that way. Say nothing and listen as heaven whispers, "Do you like it? I did it just for you."

Found this on exact location.

The plane crashed just east of the crest of the Cascades, about five miles south of White Pass and on the edge of the Goat Rocks Wilderness, said Wayne Frudd of Yakima County Search and Rescue. The crash site is about 25 miles southeast of Mount Rainier.

Still hoping.....
April

Thanks.

From that and from the TFR also on the FAA's website... http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_7_9470.html

------

FDC 7/9470 ZSE WA.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS WHITE PASS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS AREIN EFFECT WITHIN A 5 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 463732N/1212147W OR THE YAKIMA /YKM/ VORTAC 254.0 DEGREE RADIAL AT 38.1 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 10000 FEET MSL TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR SEARCH AND RESCUE. WASHINGTON STATE EMERGENCY SERVICES, TELEPHONE 206-949-1022 OR FREQ 123.1, IS IN CHARGE OF THE OPERATION.SEATTLE /ZSE/ ARTCC, TELEPHONE 253-351-3520, IS THE FAA COORDINATIONFACILITY.

-----

If the TFR is rougly centered on the crash site... then this is the type of terrain we're talking about here...

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&formtype=latlong&latlongtype=degrees&latdeg=46&latmin=37&latsec=32&longdeg=-121&longmin=21&longsec=47

... click on the "Aerial Image" & zoom in / out.

Maybe some of y'all "Google Earth" smart folks can add something better.
:|

I have info on a remembrance gathering starting at 3pm today.

Locals PM me or call me and I'll give you the address -I don't want to post it and risk reporters showing up and bothering the families.

EDIT TO ADD: If you have just registered on Dropzone.com, have no info in your profile, and say that you are a 'jumper' from one of the DZ's, please call the DZ as I can't verify who you are.

I won't add to the pain the families are feeling right now. :(

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

-I don't want to post it and risk reporters showing up and bothering the families.

Good call ACME, it is even on the news down here in Florida at the TV station I work at. Of course I try to offer what information that I have..... but they still want to go with the story that the AP spoon feeds them. God I hate working in TV. Bunch of sheep feeding more sheep!
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

The people on board, according to Skydive Snohomish, are Ralphie Abdo, Landon Atkin, Michelle Barker, Casey Craig, Cecil Elsner, Bryan Jones, Hollie Raspberry, Jeff Ross, Andy Smith and pilot Phil Kibler.
When you are at a party stop asking people "What do you do?" ask them..."What do you do for fun?"

Reposted to change Subject :
[SkydiverTilt] Cessna Caravan crashed in the Cascades-Skydivers on board

The people on board, according to Skydive Snohomish, are Ralphie Abdo, Landon Atkin, Michelle Barker, Casey Craig, Cecil Elsner, Bryan Jones, Hollie Raspberry, Jeff Ross, Andy Smith and pilot Phil Kibler.

"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion" - Democritus

Time for us all to focus on and give "our family" support for those left behind....
I know thats what i would want to have this great group of people give to my loved ones....
let's give a little ray of sunshine on this dark time they have to go through....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE