Amazon

Cessna Caravan crashed in the Cascades-Skydivers on board

Stratostar,

I don't think Lucky was the only one thinking that this may at least have helped save a few in an incident like this. I know that trying to get out of a plane that is wildly out of control would be no easy job, but do you care to explain your response? I for one read these forums to get insight and education, so would appreciate some more detail to your opinion.......if, of course, you feel like this is the time and place.
But I think there are merits to discussing the topic if there is a chance that changes to standard practices may help save others in the future.

Still keeping up hope that there are a few jumpers out there wrapped up in their canapies to keep warm until they are found..........

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

Still keeping up hope that there are a few jumpers out there wrapped up in their canapies to keep warm until they are found..........

we MUST hope/pray the remaining 3 are alive and on the ground
UNTIL they are found,there is hope

lets keep the positive vibes flowing folks

never give up hope
keep fighting till you run out of blood then quit

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

This is not the place to hold an in depth debate about this, I would be more then happy to talk about it here, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2974076#2974076 when I return this afternoon, in the mean time there is a lot of good reading there to help you learn from earlier accidents. (see/read reports loadstar in WA and Beech 18 Honolulu)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

BSBD!!!

Wishing vibes to all family members!!! This is an awful tragic event for our NW neighbors. We're with you! Hang in there!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

This is all very sad :(

On 05/12/2007 I had the opportunity to visit Skydive Kapowsin.
Met the Farringtons, hung out with the regulars, talked BASE with
the locals, and enjoyed 5 skydives with Andy, Kerri, and the gang.
Everyone was super cool and Mrs. Farrington was the nicest DZO!

Fly Free Friends!
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

This is not the place to hold an in depth debate about this, I would be more then happy to talk about it here, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2974076#2974076 when I return this afternoon, in the mean time there is a lot of good reading there to help you learn from earlier accidents. (see/read reports loadstar in WA and Beech 18 Honolulu)

Another good resource would be the Taylorville, Il accident where the jumpers did exit and live. No small miracle.

The only hole bigger than the one left in our community by this accident, is the hole left in our hearts.

Those of us at the WFFC wish all of our skydiving family members in Idaho and Washington all of the love and strength we can send them.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

The Farrington's own and operate Kapowsin not Snohomish. It is however my understanding that the aircraft involved in the accident was owned by the Farringtons and leased to the Snohomish crew. If I am mistaken please don't shoot me. These comments have nothing to do with the accident.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Skydivers are such special people; people who grab the most out of life, adventurous and free-spirited. It is a horrific tragedy to lose these people from this world, even if I do not know any of them personally.

I know firsthand that the people you jump out of planes with are FAMILY, and that there are many many people's hearts breaking tonight over the loss of these wonderful people.

They lived their lives to the fullest, followed their passion to the boogie they were returning home from. Perhaps there is comfort that they were not alone, but all together when they went down.

My heart goes out to everyone personally affected by this tragedy and to all the rest of us on the peripheral of it, as we can all put ourselves easily in the place of the victims, or the friends and families of them.

Blue Skies Forever.
Failure is not falling down, but refusing to get up.
- A Chinese Proverb

There are no words one can express during a time like this; but we all share in the burden of loss, hope, anxiety and condolences to the families and friends.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

2 names in Caravan crash unofficially released:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/09/national/main3348128.shtml

Fighting back tears, Kelly Craig, whose brother Casey, died in the crash, said the nine skydivers on board had made lots of jumps over the weekend, and he doubted they would have been prepared for an emergency jump when the plane went down.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003936010_webplane09m.html

3 of 10 aboard crashed plane are unaccounted for, but searchers say no one survived ...
One of the passengers was Landon Atkin, 20, of Snohomish, according to Rick Mangan, a skydiving instructor with Blue Skies in Bremerton.
Atkin was a "packer" in Snohomish, meaning he packed parachutes, Mangan said. Atkin's family declined to comment
"Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion" - Democritus

Does anyone have a more "exact" locaiton of the crash site other then "in the vicinity of White Pass, WA"? It might help to understand what a jumper whould have to deal with (not good) if they managed to get out of a plane and get under canopy, at night, going down over the Casscades. :( ... the Lord works in mysterious ways though, I'd still rather like to hear of the missing three come walking out with their rigs over their shoulders.

BSBD brothers & sisters. [:/]

I rode a Caravan between 2 DZ's for a boogie once and all 5 of us on the plane wore our rigs the whole time. Just in case. It's weird & uncomfortable to be on a jump plane with no rig on.

But this was a 3 hour, best case, flight in very cold
conditions in a plane with passenger seats.
The seats don't leave much room for wearing a rig.

But it depends on weather they had been experiencing issues before the fatal one.

They were apparently on VFR flight without flight following. There was no distress call received but if they were iced up they may not have been able to communicate.

It will be a long while before the NTSB gives us even a preliminary report.

I AM SPECULATING ABOUT THE ICE BASED ON THE REPORTED CONDITIONS.
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

From the www.faa.gov website... "Preliminary Accident and Incident Reports"...

********************************************************************************
** Report created 10/9/2007 Record 4 **
********************************************************************************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 430A Make/Model: C208 Description: 208 Caravan 1, (Super)Cargomaster, Grand
Date: 10/08/2007 Time: 0325

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
N430A, A CESSNA 208B AIRCRAFT, CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES WHILE
TRANSPORTING PARACHUTE JUMPING TEAM, THE 10 PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY
INJURED, WAS THE SUBJECT OF AN ALERT NOTICE, WRECKAGE LOCATED IN THE
VICINITY OF WHITE PASS, WA

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 10
# Crew: 1 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 9 Fat: 9 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: UNKNOWN

OTHER DATA
Activity: Other Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SPOKANE, WA (NM13) Entry date: 10/09/2007

I was thinking icing, as Caravans have a propensity to do that and have no de-icing capabilities.

Caravans may have deice boots. Since it is not disclosed yet which of the Northwest Caravans we don't know if it had functional boots.

But because they were on a VFR flight they should not have been in the clouds. So we can only speculate.
Working to be the last flyer on a birdman suit. ;-)
Who also flies a tony suit.

Condolences to the folks on the plane and their families. So sad....

I too am wondering what the weather was like as the A/C was transiting that area. Frozen precip?

I worked on a fleet of Fedex 208's at Portland for 11 years. FX lost several Vans in icing conditions. A couple of them descended rapidly as this accident airplane did, they impacted the ground intact tho.

The 208's are great airplanes in all operating parameters except for the icing issues.

[:/]

Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
~Author Unknown

I send my heartfelt condolences to the grieving families.
I also extend my deepest sympathy to all friends in the skydiving community.

AirAnn

~AirAnn~

Caravans may have deice boots. Since it is not disclosed yet which of the Northwest Caravans we don't know if it had functional boots.

The problem is that the optional deice system on caravans is not designed or approved for flight into known iceing, it is a 'get out of jail' system however it does give pilots flying illegally into icing conditions the confidence to try and fly through or climb out of trouble. This trap has caused the demise of many cessna caravans in the commercial (cargo) world - but may not have anything to do with this incident.

Found this on exact location.

The plane crashed just east of the crest of the Cascades, about five miles south of White Pass and on the edge of the Goat Rocks Wilderness, said Wayne Frudd of Yakima County Search and Rescue. The crash site is about 25 miles southeast of Mount Rainier.:(:(:(:(:(

Still hoping.....
April [:/]

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.