juanesky

Preferred altitud for Hop & Pops

>I was testing out my Ace at the DZ one day.

I once did a hop and pop with my Mojo, big PC and mesh slider; it was open before I had dropped 10 feet. (Which was a mistake; the canopy caught the prop blast for an instant.) I remember looking at the plane no more than 30 feet away, looking at everyone's faces peering out at me.

I like 4 grand. I can exit, freefall for 16 seconds and still pull by 2 @ terminal. I know this is not a true hop and pop. I just figure that for 8 bucks if I can get a short plane ride, play around a little in that fun sub terminal air, open, get to fly my canopy and swoop, THAT's as much fun as I need.

Lowest I've gone is 3.5K. I got used to doing hop n pops early on in my training since in New England a lot of the time you're not going to get up to 13.5 ;)

When my husband and I went to Eloy for a week back in March, we got tired of riding the plane up to 14K on every jump so we asked to get out at 4k together for the whole day one day. A couple of people commented that it was "scary" that we got out at 4K together because "that's break-off altitude!" - We got a kick out of that.
Rhonda
PP ASEL

Higher is better and it's fun to play with the canopy more, but 3500 is not too low for anything, you can do a really quick 2 way from 3500.

2? we were doing 4 way exits from 3.5 launch break track!

Thank you, my point exactly. I was just trying not to sound too extreme for this discussion.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

my lowest hop n pop was from 2 grand. don't know if i'd like to go any longer and believe it or not, my sabre opens very SLOW even at terminal

Well yeah, the openings ARE a lot slower now and at subterminal might give you an ulcer. I've done 2 grand, but only when the ceiling was no higher, never liked it that much. With today's canopies, you might even want to consider turning a Cypres OFF for a 2G hop & pop. (Not sure if that's a great idea or not, would be interested in feedback on the notion.)

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I prefer to get out of the airplane anywhere between 3,000 and 3,500 feet for a hop n pop. 3,500 feet is the best for me. Then I can give myself a nice slow comfortable delay.

Under 3,000 feet I would want to know that what I was wearing is something I packed and packed well. Some of you all are brave; doing hop n pops at 2K ... Personally, unless the pilot tells me to get the hell out of his airplane for whatever reason, I don't see any point in getting out in anything under 3K. Call me a spoiled wuss but to me getting out any lower is like jumping in the cold/rain. Who in the heck wants to?

If I was exiting near 2K I would be out on my reserve. Again, call me a wuss but I know I am not supposed to be below my hard deck which is 2,500 feet without something over my head. If I am below 2K and not under a canopy, something is supposed to be drastically wrong. And if I am deploying something at that altitude it more than likely is going to be my reserve.

Anything lower than 2K-2,500K, hell we may was well go BASE jumping on a soft on heading happy opening 7 cell canopy.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

With today's canopies, you might even want to consider turning a Cypres OFF for a 2G hop & pop. (Not sure if that's a great idea or not, would be interested in feedback on the notion.)

I would never turn on my cypress for a H & P.

I think it's important to be willing and able to get out of the plane when you unhook your seatbelt. Mine comes off at a grand.

Absolutely, my belt is off at a grand because that's where I think it becomes safer to get out than to land with the aircraft should it "go down"... but at a thousand feet (especially with a Spectre as a main), I'm going for silver right out the door... That's an expensive hop n' pop don't you think?

HEY! Can anyone tell me what's going on in Flyangels Avatar pic!??! :$

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I have gone out several times below 2k. It is quite a rush. I agree that everyone should try and go out low but keep it at 2k. I prefer 2.5k so I can clear the aircraft and get some speed up before deploying.
Blues Skies,

Ronn

I've done 1400 with a crw packed/mod'd fury, not really an awful lot of fun.

Personal rules, below 2500 cypres is off.
Comfortable with 2500+
Any height is good, as long as everyone knows what I am doing.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

something between 2.5 & 3. if we go for h&p on our DZ its just because we have some of the students doing their low altitude exits and somebody just goes with it. no big deal from these altitudes.

if i was to go lower than just because the pilot tell me to get my ass out of a freaking plane. and below 2k i'd sure as hell go for silver

one thing i really like to do is a h&p from 13.5 on a beautyfull sunset when it's still warm - gives you tons of time flying your canopy and enjoying the scenery
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

4000 feet for swooping. You need time to get back to the DZ, let people at higher wing loadings land, etc. and be entering the pattern at your chosen altitude > 1000 feet.

2000 feet for accuracy jumps with a big F111 seven cell and mesh slider. My 244 opens fast enough with the sail slider too. You'll be open way before 1950 feet and take eons to land.

3000 for other things. My 245 takes eons to open with the sail slider. First time I jumped that configuration I thought about cutting the thing away.