Squeak

Nice Work Mile Hi CO

So you don't support Mile Hi using that extra $1 per jump and donating it charity, and then MATCHING it $ for $???

Shell,
I was with you when you made the point about good community PR. You lost me when you put words in Ryoder's mouth. Not good, Shell.

I'd rather know that in the small community that WE support, that THEY'RE supporting that small community that allows me to do this. That the extra $1 I'm paying to that local "company" is going to "something" else locally.

I'm happy for you. Others have different opinions. Simply accepting that fact instead of arguing it would save a lot of emotional grief for you and Squeaky.

If it bothers you so much to find out that the money you're paying isn't going to the "charity" you choose ... you might want to take up the fight with the GOVERNMENT...What charity have your tax dollars gone to?

Geez, Shell. You're not prone to making such lame misdirections...why now?

At least with this, you know your $$ have gone to a rink.

Since ice skating is so dangerous, I would prefer that my $$$ go towards a strip club...preferably on the DZ.
:D:D...I'm serious! :D:D

ATTN: Barry Hammond
Dude, for all the good PR that the donation brings with the civil community, your attitude sure negates it with the skydiving community. I surely hope yours is not the prevalent attitude at Mile-Hi.
[:/]

Maybe Jewels could just avoid introducing any visitors to you and all would be well.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For the record.

My opinion...wanna argue about it?
:D:D

1. It's GREAT that Mile-Hi is supporting the community. It is very good PR on the one hand and very savy of the DZO on the other.

2. It's good that the DZO let the jumpers know what the extra $1 was for. It created a stir but that's better than trying to hide it.

3. It's great that the DZO is matching donations out of his pocket.

4. It's bad that the extra $1 is mandatory.

5. It's bad that the DZ gets the tax write-off for the jumpers "donation" if indeed there is a write-off to be had.

6. It's correct that the DZO can do whatever the hell he wishes with his money...and yes, once you hand it over, it's his and no longer "yours".

I, personally, would have preferred an option to donate or not. I would have donated. Some would prefer not to do so. I would like to have had a receipt for tax purposes for my donation (asuming, of course, that the "donation" is legally tax-deductable).

Just food for thought:
Had the DZO told you that the price increase was going to support the Jeffery Dahmer Defense Fund, would you be so inclined to "donate"? Would the intended "cause" have an impact on your opinion-formation process?
(extreme case presented for demonstration purposes only)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

For the record.

Just food for thought:
Had the DZO told you that the price increase was going to support the Jeffery Dahmer Defense Fund, would you be so inclined to "donate"? Would the intended "cause" have an impact on your opinion-formation process?

OR
if he said, Prices are going up

the money i earn from it i will spend on a hiliday to some place warm in winter, and you lot can freeze your arses here.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

. . . and what if they decided to donate all that money to "Satan for Kids" or something like that. Would your view still hold firm? Or is it that you just happen to agree with their choice . . . This Time.?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

For the record.

Just food for thought:

OR
if he said, Prices are going up

the money i earn from it i will spend on a hiliday to some place warm in winter, and you lot can freeze your arses here.

Even that would hve been better.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

So we either accept what goes on at Mile Hi or we don't jump. Not in Colorado.

Since I moved to CO, I've met more people that have quit jumping than have started. Its an unusual situation and a very strange vibe up in Longmont.

CO has got the most political quibles os any state/province I've ever seen.... except for Alberta! :ph34r:
Remster

Phreezone made this comment at the beginning of the thread and it suggests that the new owners signed a contract requiring a surcharge of $1 to all jumps.

The former owners family basically put it as a stipulation that all jumps would have a $1 surcharge that would be added to the fund then then matched by the DZ as part of their terms when the DZ was sold.

I guess I don't quite understand the issue. The new owners told all jumpers about the surcharge and while I can understand bitching about any increase in jump tickets the contract seems to suggest that this would be and will be a ongoing cost of jumping at MileHi. Whether the extra buck goes to the community or improvements at the airport or something else as a jumper I don't see where it really makes a difference. The money is no longer in my pocket. It is semantics to call the surcharge a donation. It is a surcharge.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

So we either accept what goes on at Mile Hi or we don't jump. Not in Colorado.

Those of you who have more than one dz to choose from, appreciate that freedom.

USPA shows 4 DZ's. Did the other 3 close?

http://uspa.org/dz/states/CO.htm

As a practical matter, Sartre's right. There's really only one viable dz to jump from around here.

Calhan DID close.

Colorado Skysports, in Boulder, is not fun-jumper friendly. The online information makes it sound otherwise, but it's my understanding that it's pretty much exclusively for tandems. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know anyone who regularly fun jumps out of Boulder. Fun jumps happen once in a while but I don't think that's where their real focus is.

Skydive the Rockies is in Canon City and not a practical location for people from the Denver Metro area if they just want to drive down and jump for the day, as it's over two hours away. I realize people do that when they have no other choices, but it's hard to build up regular Denver traffic when the dz is that far away.

If MileHi disappeared, maybe one of the other existing locations would step in and take its place but FOR NOW, most people I know don't consider any of the other Colorado dzs to be serious options for regular jumping.
TPM Sister #102