LisaM

Smokers vs Non-Smokers

I am a non smoker. We recently hired someone in this office who smorkes. I now regret it; it was between him and another woman for the entry level position. I pushed for him... but the smoke smell is overwhelming at times.

I got a tart burner for work (like a candle but no flame); but today he showed up an hour early befare I had a chance to get it going. I'm 2 cubes away from him but it's BUGGING me!

Nothing against smokers. so don't flame and get mad at me..... I just don't like that smell. Makes my nose all itchy. B|

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I think it would. Most people dont know they smell until someone points it out to them. I bet once something is said you will notice a difference.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Poor Lisa! Sorry you have to deal with this guy. I am a smoker myself, but I don't feel like anybody has the right to create a work environment that is unpleasant and potentially unhealthy.

You might be able to find a diplomatic way of telling him the smell bothers you; maybe ask if he wouldn't mind 'airing out' out a bit and washing his hands after smoke break. I'd be very embarrassed if a coworker told me I stink :$.

If all else fails, anonymously leave a package of breathmints on his desk when one morning before he gets in... that'll get your message across.

PS - side note: if he is a 'hardcore' smoker that smokes in his house and his car, you may be stuck with the smell. I never smoke in my house, but know ppl who do, and they smell bad even to me! :S

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

Accidents don't just happen. They must be carelessly planned.

I am a non smoker. We recently hired someone in this office who smorkes. I now regret it; it was between him and another woman for the entry level position. I pushed for him... but the smoke smell is overwhelming at times.

I got a tart burner for work (like a candle but no flame); but today he showed up an hour early befare I had a chance to get it going. I'm 2 cubes away from him but it's BUGGING me!

Nothing against smokers. so don't flame and get mad at me..... I just don't like that smell. Makes my nose all itchy.

If you would just start smoking already, you wouldn't have this problem....:P

Comon'....all the cool kids are doing it!!

Question. Is he smoking at work? I mean, in the building? Or is it the smell of his clothes (or whatever) that is bothering you?

I just can't believe that there is a company still out there that allows someone to smoke in doors.

Bobbi
A miracle is not defined by an event. A miracle is defined by gratitude.

Question. Is he smoking at work? I mean, in the building? Or is it the smell of his clothes (or whatever) that is bothering you?

I was wondering the same thing - neither the OP nor the rest of thread makes that clear.
If the company allows people to smoke indoors, then your real complaint is with the company - try to raise the issue with management, even if you (or a group of you) feel you need to do so anonymously (for obvious reasons).

But if it's a non-smoking office, and the person simply stinks of smoke, then it's really no different than, say, a person with bad hygiene who doesn't bathe and has B.O. You can either try to intervene with him personally (which is hard), or try the "anonymous message" approach, or take it to management. If you take it to management, I suggest you do it as a group, or at least invoke a group, and make it clear that the stink is creating an intolerable work environment. Hopefully management will step up to the plate and deal with it responsibly.

One more thing: keep copious written notes of what you do, and all your communications with management. If at some time in the future you find yourself confronted with disciplinary action, or an unusually poor evaluation, or demotion, etc., you'll need those notes to help back up a defense that you're being retaliated against.

I think it would. Most people dont know they smell until someone points it out to them. I bet once something is said you will notice a difference.

I would do the smae thing.
Ask if he could bring gum and some fabreeze tell him his choice to smoke is no problem but he smells like smoke.
My photos

My Videos

My boyfriend smokes and it doesnt really bother me, however he is very respectful about it, doesnt even smoke in his own house! In Florida, you cannot smoke inside any public establishment (except bars). This was passed by voters 3 years ago I think. All the smokers raised hell about it, saying they should be able to smoke whereever they want too. However, as a mom with two boys who both have respirartory issues, its nice to be able to take them to a restuarant and not have to worry about it. Sure, before the law there were smoking sections, but the last time I checked smoke didnt keep itself confined to these sections. ;)

Does this mean I can't complain if I don't say anything to him? He's new... I barely know him and I'm not the type to say that. I wish my old co-worker were in here.... SHE'D do what I am too chicken to do.

I had an old co-worker that was a slob and I would make him clean his cube.

He showed up just minutes after me this morning. Usually I have an hour + before he shows. STINKY!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I don't care if people smoke or not. But they should know if they stink and if they dont then someone should tell them.

Honestly, they don't realize it, cigarettes do great things to the sense of smell

edit: I used to smoke, and my dad would always bitch about my coat reeking, I thought he was just being an ass, but after I quit and regained my sense of smell I realized how bad smokers smell. Tell him, I'm sure he doesn't realize it and will make an effort to make you more comfortable!

I'm a nonsmoker (they had to meet their quotas :P) but I live in tobacco country where we still have smoke rooms in the break rooms. Smoking is prevalent, but it doesn't bother me.

I've been to tons of restaurants and sat in the smoking section with smokers and nonsmokers. Most places the ventilation is really good. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.