LisaM

Smokers vs Non-Smokers

Ditto! That stuff stanks! I'm amazed that the smokers can't smell it on themselves. Doesn't hurt to give the guy a hint....nicely.

I can walk through a parking garage with all of the cars closed up, and tell you which drivers smoke.

I respect smokers, but I don't have any respect for smoking. I can handle the smell okay, but the breath of a smoker *right* after they finish is enough to make me gag.

I remember my 6th grade teacher. I didn't know what it was until a little later in life, but when she'd come down the aisle and look over my shoulder to check my work, I'd literally recoil from the stank breath.

This is no different then old lady in the office that wears perfume u dont like that is way too strong or the lunch room of a warehouse that reaks of mexican food, I can go on and on...It does NOT give you any right to say a anything, just because you dont like the smell.
I dont smoke anymore, havent for some while now and I know the smell isnt pleasant to most but nether are alot of smells in the work area. Try watching "Dirty Jobs" now those folks deal with some smells!!!
If you dont like smoke smell and you can smoke at your work then find a new job, or deal with it.
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"

no shit smells like shit...

I have never smoked a shit cigarette...phillip morris musta quit making those before I was born!!

and noone likes a stinky lunch room, but you know what I do , instead of telling everyone in there not to heat up the nasty smelling food they bring which makes me gag..."I just dont eat in there"....wow problem solved.
"Before we waste time talking and getting to know each other, let's just have sex once and see if we're compatible"

It does NOT give you any right to say a anything, just because you dont like the smell.

Actually, she does have the right to say something. It may not work, but she has the right.

umm yeah your laws must be different in fantasy land....

same situation, same rights...niether one of us have a right to say anything to anyone else, "no rules have been broken".

If smoking is not allowed on the property,then she has a right to mention the smell of smoke, other then that, If he smells like bigfoots dick it doesnt matter its not her place.

and noone likes a stinky lunch room, but you know what I do , instead of telling everyone in there not to heat up the nasty smelling food they bring which makes me gag..."I just dont eat in there"....wow problem solved.

I don't have a choice but to work at my desk. I can't pick my own office.

Sure I can get a new job, but that's not very realistic. I have a damn good job that pays very well and if I were to the point of walking away from that job over this, I would talk to my boss and/or HR first.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

This is no different then old lady in the office that wears perfume u dont like that is way too strong or the lunch room of a warehouse that reaks of mexican food, I can go on and on...It does NOT give you any right to say a anything, just because you dont like the smell.
I dont smoke anymore, havent for some while now and I know the smell isnt pleasant to most but nether are alot of smells in the work area. Try watching "Dirty Jobs" now those folks deal with some smells!!!
If you dont like smoke smell and you can smoke at your work then find a new job, or deal with it.

that's wussie way to be

most people are polite and will listen to it. If they have a chip on their shoulder about it screw 'em.

too much perfume - tell them
skin and clothes reek of cigarette smoke - tell them
their food stinks horribly - tell them

many will try to fix it because they are decent - the trick is to tell them tactfully and realize they don't stink 'just to make your day suck', they just don't realize it. just don't tell them with an attitude

if they get all huffy and pissy about it, then they are jerks

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

instead of telling everyone in there not to heat up the nasty smelling food they bring which makes me gag

perfect example of how NOT to relate your issue to the other guy

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ditto! That stuff stanks! I'm amazed that the smokers can't smell it on themselves. Doesn't hurt to give the guy a hint....nicely.

I can walk through a parking garage with all of the cars closed up, and tell you which drivers smoke.

I can tell which of my students smoke from how their homework smells. Gross..... I am so glad I quit. I didn't realize when I smoked just how bad it smelled. [:/]
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I didn't realize when I smoked just how bad it smelled. [:/]

Now, remember back then and read these two approaches.

"Hi, granny. Did you know that your clothes and hair have a lot of cigarette smoke in them and the odor is pretty strong and is distracting a lot of us. Can we do anything to help with that?"

or

"Yo, bitch. You stink of fags and it's making me gag. You better stop that shit or else"

So, which would have gotten a more positive response back then?

(sometimes it's neither. true. But a lot of people think that the only way to communicate is like the 2nd. They are even jerkish enough to pride themselves on it with the claim that this is more 'honest'.)

too much perfume - tell them
skin and clothes reek of cigarette smoke - tell them
their food stinks horribly - tell them

(umm no)
I should go tell human resourses the receptionist should wear alot more make-up, as long as its tackfully asked I am in the right, right?....or maybe when I take mylunch I should get my own lunch room because I dont like to be watched when eating, I dont like way the new guy smells after break maybe he shouldnt be allowed to smoke...or maybe someone should make him use mouthwash all day and spray on cologne that "I" like..or maybe....or maybe.....gimme a break the world doesnt conform to you....stop being selfish

I dont even smoke
I dont even like the way smoke smells
I dont bitch either

I detest ALL brand detergent and only use Gain but this new employee obviously washes her clothes in ALL. OMG how offensive, def going to HR because summer breeze ALL smells like shit!

Plus I sit by the microwave and all these people do is cook popcorn all freakin' day. Doesn't that cause cancer in employees that manufacture microwave popcorn? And here I am smelling it all day, who do they think they are?

Get over it.

And yes cigarettes smell like shit which means I smell and chances are real life people don't care if it bothers you. Maybe asking for *vibes* will help...

Be grateful you have a sense of smell. Nothing can smell good if you don't know what bad smells like.

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

It does NOT give you any right to say a anything, just because you dont like the smell.

I disagree. It is along the lines of a personal hygene issue. This is a "politically correct world. You can't have it one way for one person and something different for another.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

If you don't want to approach him directly, leave an anonymous bottle of Febreeze on his desk with a big bow wrapped around it. Maybe he'll get the message. ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Smoking is disgusting and it makes people smell like shit.

/vomit

So is living on the street and not washing your clothes, but I don't see you making fun of homeless people.:|

:P
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Smoking is disgusting and it makes people smell like shit.

/vomit

So is living on the street and not washing your clothes, but I don't see you making fun of homeless people.:|

:P

Gonzo, Gonzo, Gonzo... smoking is a choice people make, unless they are real whack-a-doo, living on the streets and not washing your clothes is not a choice....:P

People with tart burners etc at their desk can also bug people, just another joy of working in an office. I used to have a cube across from someone who would spray a citrus fragrance all the time because she didn't like the smell of the building, made it smell like we worked in a damn grapefruit plantation.

I'm a smoker who has quit a couple times, and when I do I can't stand the smell either, so I can sympathize with both sides. I'd suggest looking into a mild more neutral smell, like some dried eucalyptus to set on your desk. You can always approach them on it but chances are if he/she is already going outside to smoke there is nothing they can do short of leaving their jacket somewhere else and washing their hands.

Damn all this smoke talk makes me need a cigarette
>:(:D