riddler

France bans smoking in restaurants

Maybe this should be an issue for speaker's corner, but here goes:

The French have followed the Irish and Italians in making all bars, restaurants and cafes smoke-free (those sitting outside can still light up). This could be a challenge in a culture so wrapped up in cafe sitting, where people have a decades-old ritual of stopping at the corner cafe for a drink and a smoke. But the movement against second-hand smoke is strong throughout Europe and, as country after country adopts bans, smokers adjust and life goes on.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/getaways/02/08/france.08/index.html

They banned smoking in public places in Denver about two years ago, and it's been a relief! I think people have the right to smoke - just not around me :) I never would have guessed that any country in Europe would adopt a smoking ban, but I'm glad to hear this - it makes the idea of traveling a bit more appealing.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Illinois just went smoke free, and I don't really see a dip in the size of crowds at the bars, and I'm in a college town...

As a law student, I wonder if Govt should be in the business of dictating things like this, but as a non-smoker, I have zero motivation/desire to do anything to change it back. :)

Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Look, I'm a good conservative, and I don't believe that we should have our paws in private business.

BUT,, on this issue I'm 100% for it. It's simple to me. For the sake of the workers and for the customers.

For the Workers. Waiters, Waitresses, bussers, et cetera - The government has in almost every situation regulated safe workplace requirements. In coal mines, there is clean air requirements, and those go for almost any profession. What would happen to an employer who required their workers to work in a paint booth without a mask? Well, I don't see much of a difference. A waitress working in a smoky bar in being forced to work in an environment with well beyond the acceptable level of toxins in the air for any other profession.

For the customers - I have worked with our health department on several occasion in setting up statistical models to watch food safety. They take it very seriously. Every food serving location is monitored yearly with inspections, and for problem places, they come every few months. Why not monitor the levels of toxins in the air as well?
=========Shaun ==========

Illinois just went smoke free, and I don't really see a dip in the size of crowds at the bars, and I'm in a college town...

As a law student, I wonder if Govt should be in the business of dictating things like this, but as a non-smoker, I have zero motivation/desire to do anything to change it back. :)

the change is in how long they STAY in the bars, particularly the restaurant bars.

I'll admit to getting used to smoke free bars in Arizona (dont smoke but it doesnt really bother me either) and that being in Texas (where you can smoke almost anywhere) was a bit of a shock again (particularly the number of otherwise hot chicks who smell like cigass)

however this should be entirely an economic decision (by the owners and those who 'vote with their dollars) not a political one.

I love France, but this is too far.

Why so? Smoking in a closed environment in the presence of non-smokers is a major pain in the ass for those forced to breath death in a smoke cloud. And I've smoked 24 years...

Hong Kong has also gone smokeless in public indoor places and at the workplace. That surprised me...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

however this should be entirely an economic decision (by the owners and those who 'vote with their dollars) not a political one.

It's not politics, it's health, and if you're going to trust a bar owner with your health then you're Philip Morris. I design air systems in buildings and we take great measures in ensuring that air is safe with the threat of serious lawsuits if it's not. It amazes me that when it comes to a bar or a restaurant people all of a sudden think it's OK for there to be a toxic stinking cloud of smoke.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

we are smoke free in public enclosures here in OZ too:)
You should have heard the joy comming from people when they entered the Bent Prop and found out it was smoke free:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It's not politics, it's health, and if you're going to trust a bar owner with your health then you're Philip Morris.

:D If there were any shred of truth to that, any at all.....all non-smokers would've been dead, a long, long time ago. You're confusing fashion, with fact.
"T'was ever thus."

It's not politics, it's health, and if you're going to trust a bar owner with your health then you're Philip Morris.

:D If there were any shred of truth to that, any at all.....all non-smokers would've been dead, a long, long time ago. You're confusing fashion, with fact.

Uh? Smoking is not hazardous to one's health? Being exposed to cigarette smoke is not hazardous to one's health?
Fuck fashion. Body bags are not fashionable.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Uh? Smoking is not hazardous to one's health? Being exposed to cigarette smoke is not hazardous to one's health?
Fuck fashion. Body bags are not fashionable.

IF it were truly hazardous, it'd be illegal....just like drugs. No connection has ever been made, between smoking and cancer....lots of rhetoric and bs claims but no positive proof. I know dozens of people who've died from lung or throat cancer and only one, ever smoked (cigars).
"T'was ever thus."

We've had one downside with our local restaurants since the ban.

The wait is longer since they are getting a TON more business now.

If I was a restaurant owner, I'd be pissed as I would have had smokefree restaurants from day one, and the ban just made all the other restaurants more competitive even though the owners were idiots for not seeing the opportunity on their own.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

New Zealand is smoke free
Australis is
France is
Scotland is
Ireland is.

You can not smoke indoors in alot of western countries, no place of business or in any company car.

I am a smoker but i think that is the right way.

Smoking kills you, just because i am having a hard time stopping should not mean i have a right to kill people around that dont smoke.

The sale of smokes should also be illegal and i am sure it will be in many countries over the next 10 years.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

These countries all have smoking bans in public places and restaurants and buildings etc.....
Many more are coming into effect next year.

New Zealand is smoke free
Australis is
France is
Scotland is
Ireland is.
Vietnam
Argentina
Brazil
Most of canada
many places in chilie
China
Cuba
Denmark
Estonia
Germany
Guernsey
Hong Kong
Soon to be Hungary
Iceland
Indonesia
Israel
Italy
Kazakhstan
Lithuania
Malta
Netherlands from July
Norway
Peru
Portugal
Singapore
Most places in spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Uganda
Wales
uruguay

For France ot have a smoking ban is not really news, it has been announced for a long time now it was coming in effect.

Most of the world will be smoke free in years to come but as you can see by this list, most of the major countries in the world are smoke free in public places.

This is not something we should argue with. Smoking kills people, It is a needless way to die. It kills people who dont smoke and that is no fair on them.

I wish i did not smoke.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store